Teen driving test at Bryan dps

6,531 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LOYAL AG
aggiemom89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can anyone tell me what expect? How long is the test? Where do you drive to? Any details are appreciated.
91_Aggie
AG
From past threads, 95% of the people will tell you not to do it there as the instructors grade it very tough and nitpick very minor things.

5% will tell you "Oh, no.... it is wonderful and your kids must just have been horrible drivers"

ksp
this again!!!!
AggiePirate
AG
Austin Driving School. Ask for no one but Benny Schertz. Hes the man.
DisneyFan5
When my boys were looking into doing the test here, there was a long wait time for an appointment...and I've heard bad things about the office here.

We drove to Hempstead and had to sign up in person and then we went back the next week for them to take the test. Small office, but they were really nice and we had no issues.
isitjustme
AG
Both my kids passed the test at Bryan DPS within the last 2 1/2 years - both on their second tries. The first time for each they were failed b/c they should have been failed. They practiced more, passed, and are both good drivers.

You can decide if that is a horror story or the making of a couple of fairly decent drivers.

ETA - and they both did Austin Driving School, which I recommend.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Is he the only man there, or just the best of all the other men? If he's the only man, wouldn't I be able to pick him out of the rest of the staff or would I really have to ask for him?
My kid passed at the Bryan location about 8 months ago. It was his first try and he is a good driver. If we had not talked to another driver who passed on her second attempt at Bryan location, I don't think my kid would have passed.

You drive through the neighborhood right by the testing location. Go practice the parallel parking at the testing center over the weekend. It is not hard but requires a few attempts to make sure that you nail it the first time. Find someone to go out there and run you through the test. You have to do some stupid things like use your blinker in the parking lot or they fail you. Good luck.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
Is he the only man there, or just the best of all the other men? If he's the only man, wouldn't I be able to pick him out of the rest of the staff or would I really have to ask for him?
Hes literally THE man. I hope I have cleared this up for you once again.
ksp
My son also passed first time with a 92 or something close to that score two years ago
KidDoc
AG
My son passed barely last month. Got points off for not signaling in the parallel parking lot as mentioned and also for using the high Def backup camera in the tesla instead of turning his head around. I had to make the appointment 3 weeks in advance.

No complaints really.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiemom89
Thank you kiddoc and 1.618 this is very helpful!
bbrooktx99
My daughter just turned 16 and took her test at DPS in Bryan. She was very nervous because of all the rumors, but she passed. She is a good driver. We practiced in that area A LOT!!! Yes, blinker to parrellel park is a must. When you get in the vehicle they will tell you exactly what you have to do to pass! They will constantly be marking their sheet so tell them just because they are marking something doesn't mean they did anything wrong!

****** DO NOT schedule an 8:00 appointment on your 16th birthday!! No one told us that part! If you have an 8:00 appointment it is best to process the paperwork the day before **as long as you are 16!!**. Otherwise arrive early - I think they say an hour early to process paperwork.

The driving test itself is about 20 minutes. No highway driving. On weekends practice driving through the overhang where you will pull into to meet the instructor. And the parrellel parking like others have said. Make sure to check ALL MIRRORS, scan your surrendings and look both ways twice at a stop sign.

Good luck!
spieg12
AG
I'm so glad I fell in the years where no driving test was required and you could do the home program for drivers ed. Just filled in the papers saying I did the 'schooling' and got my license. But I also had been driving on the farm since I was about 10.

I ended having a driving test in college anyway since I got a CDL and was a bus driver.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Both my kids passed the test at Bryan DPS within the last 2 1/2 years - both on their second tries. The first time for each they were failed b/c they should have been failed. They practiced more, passed, and are both good drivers.

You can decide if that is a horror story or the making of a couple of fairly decent drivers.

ETA - and they both did Austin Driving School, which I recommend.

Why did you let them test if they weren't ready? Sorry but that's on you. Then you endorse a driving school that didn't adequately prepare your kids to pass the exam?
isitjustme
AG
Brilliant ability to cast blame while knowing about 0.0000001% of the facts written in a brief post.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Brilliant ability to cast blame while knowing about 0.0000001% of the facts written in a brief post.

Agreed. That was a pretty a hole post. Please accept me apologies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.