Recommendations for A/C replacement

3,877 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by kill0509
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there have been threads on this before, but I'm not finding them.

Our A/C system is about 17 years old now, and all our neighbors have had to emergency replace theirs within the last 5 summers usually in the middle of the summer.

I want to get ahead of that and possibly save money by having the time to be choosy instead of whoever I can get to replace it the fastest.

JG Innovative is the one who originally installed it, so they are high on my list, but I would like to get estimates from other companies.

So, who is your A/C company that you really like?
ksp
So it is working fine?
ksp
I use mize btw.
91_Aggie
AG
It's not cooling very well... could be several issues, but last few summers when it was 100 outside, it could maintain the temps in the house but not bring them lower, so it ran constantly from 3pm to 7pm.

Had JG out and they said it was about 1/2 ton too small for the square footage of my house.
Lone Stranger
IMO Barker's is the superior service but proudly priced AC company in town and Malek is positioning themselves to knock Barker's off their throne by being an equivalent but better value company. Have been very impressed with Malek's installation, service and price over the last few years when they competed with Barker's for equipment and installation.
ksp
quote:
It's not cooling very well... could be several issues, but last few summers when it was 100 outside, it could maintain the temps in the house but not bring them lower, so it ran constantly from 3pm to 7pm.

Had JG out and they said it was about 1/2 ton too small for the square footage of my house.
Look and see what rebates you can get from the city or federal by putting in a higher seer unit!
ksp
Here ya go, I am bored.

http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=808
ksp
quote:
IMO Barker's is the superior service but proudly priced AC company in town and Malek is positioning themselves to knock Barker's off their throne by being an equivalent but better value company. Have been very impressed with Malek's installation, service and price over the last few years when they competed with Barker's for equipment and installation.
V. Proud price wise, but agree they do good work as well.
SCHTICK00
AG
quote:

I got from Barkers for 20k what Malek quoted me 32k on. One case, but geez they are high.
Rexter
Rule of thumb is that your a/c will cool 25* below ambient temp. You are probably fighting an inadequate insulation issue in addition to the undersized unit.
AgSportsFan
AG
Mosqueda Cooling and Heating
halibut sinclair
We use JG and highly recommend.
Turtle88
AG
Give Mosqueda a call. Another company said we needed to install 2 units for our house and upgrade the electrical box when we were having problems a few years ago. They came and put in a new outside unit for fraction of price and it worked great! Replaced our inside unit last year. They are very honest and reasonable.822-7929
VincentBlack
We replaced our 12 year old unit last year. I had multiple estimates and Marco beat everyone by a large margin. Highly recommend Marco at Aire Cool - 694-9645.

I also recommend George Rogers of RandDmaintenance.
randDmaintenance@gmail.com
(979) 219-5107

Before we replaced the failing units, I had called George a couple of times, once on a Saturday night at around 8pm and he had someone at my house in less than 45 minutes. IIRC, the bill was only $75.

Good Luck.
rc_cat
Stupid questions time: what kind of ballpark figure are we talking for a/c replacement for a single story 1800 sf house? We probably need to replace for efficiency's sake, but I'd like to know a general cost before wasting anyone's time.

Also, when they replace the air conditioner, is it just a replacement of the outside unit or does stuff happen inside too? I know the thermostat needs updating, but wasn't sure what else happened...

Thanks!
Stucco
Marco from Aire Cool.
Stucco
1 ton per 500 sqft, so 3.5 would work or 4 if you want it fast. If you need it all (compressor, furnace and blower) probably $6.5k. That's inside (probably attic) and outside. Depending on age you have to replace sections together because of freon upgrades. Thermostat is DIY so find something at HD or Lowes.

OP - It is possible you have lost freon, but if it is 17 yrs old they changed the type and it is hard to get someone to re-charge with the old type. Probably time for a new unit. Also, I didn't see much savings from scheduling it instead of doing an urgent install. More like you just have to live w/o for a day.
rc_cat
Thanks, Stucco!
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
Marco from Aire Cool.

+1 for Marco
EliteElectric
Rusty @ C&S 979-255-3833
betas2000
AG
Marco with Aire Coole will beat any quote and has great customer service hands down!!!
91_Aggie
AG
Guy checked freon/coolant last year... said it was all good... that's when he told me it was about .5 ton too small for modern day recommendations.

and I don't want to live without it for a day.

I figured I could get quotes from everyone, tell them I'm shopping it out and give your best price. Maybe it might save me a little.
SCHTICK00
AG
Not all equipment is equal. Stay away from anything builder grade and especially Amana and Goodman. It's truly disposable junk and good for 4 years on average. My favorite is Lennox and also like Trane and Carrier.
SumAggie
Jose Rodriguez is AWESOME. Best customer service in town - by FAR!
kill0509
AG
Have had great experiences with Chris from Control Temp!! Older gentleman that runs his own business in town. He originally installed the units for our block under contract with the city and he replaced our unit a couple years ago when it went down. In fact, I even left the backdoor unlocked while I was teaching that day so he could get in and install it. Has always been reasonable!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.