Wandering homeless? couple, any info?

19,408 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by summergal
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The last few weeks I've noticed a couple walking, in multiple places around town. They are black, usually dressed in all white wraps or robes. I guess I've noticed her clothing more than his. I've seen them on University a few times, on Texas in Bryan and on 29th near Coulter yesterday after lunch. I saw him late last night walking down Texas.

I'm just curious to their story. I've considered offering assistance with as many times as I am crossing their path now but figured I would inform myself first.
FlyRod
Have seen them shopping at Brazos Natural Foods a few times. I'll see what I can find out about their situation.
Mr. Griswold
Mother and son couple from California. She is mute and he only whispers.
PS3D
Oh, I've seen her at least 2-3 times. She seems to wear bedsheets, which is why "Bedsheet Lady" is my name for her in lieu of any other name. I always assumed she and her companion were homeless.
originaltexan
The true homeless and poor need advocates, so kudos to all that have expressed concern & a willingness to help.

Indeed they are homeless, and they are very poor. The lady pushes a grocery basket with remnants of whatever they come across. She wears white garb that is many layers, and it is very dirty from living on the street. I believe, based on dress, that they are from Africa. She can't speak. I am not sure if she can hear or not.

They were here in 2014 for part of the year, and I think in 2013 for part of the year.

As approaching any stranger, proceed with caution. They will accept gifts, and they are gracious. These people truly need help in every way possible. If you see them, give them money or food. These are the poorest of the poor.

I don't know how they stay warm at night when it freezes.

PS

Don't forget George. I haven't seen him in a while. For those they don't know, he has a unique way of dressing and rides a bike, sometimes with a construction helmet. He is homeless. I talk to him whenever I can. He has a tent and keeps warm at night with a propane heater. His worst habit is drinking Starbucks coffee. He, too, is very polite and will accept your gift.
ksp
I would be happy to donate $50 if somebody wants to set something up to assist them and do the leg work or buy $50 in groceries to help them. Nobody deserves to go hungry or without in our community with as much as we have to offer
YellowPot_97
AG
Saw them on Texas last week. And I just remembered, I saw them a year or two ago in Cameron.
Aggieco17
AG
My roommate and I bought them McDonald's last year (that's where we met). They were just inside trying to stay warm. Like previous have said she is mute and communicates through writing on a little notepad. That is also her son. She says he has very bad communication skills as well. Very nice and grateful.

One thing I haven't figured out is why I will see them for a few weeks and then not see them again for a 3-4 months. Then randomly they will pop up again. It has been this pattern for the two years I have been here.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
The true homeless and poor need advocates, so kudos to all that have expressed concern & a willingness to help.

Indeed they are homeless, and they are very poor. The lady pushes a grocery basket with remnants of whatever they come across. She wears white garb that is many layers, and it is very dirty from living on the street. I believe, based on dress, that they are from Africa. She can't speak. I am not sure if she can hear or not.

They were here in 2014 for part of the year, and I think in 2013 for part of the year.

As approaching any stranger, proceed with caution. They will accept gifts, and they are gracious. These people truly need help in every way possible. If you see them, give them money or food. These are the poorest of the poor.

I don't know how they stay warm at night when it freezes.

PS

Don't forget George. I haven't seen him in a while. For those they don't know, he has a unique way of dressing and rides a bike, sometimes with a construction helmet. He is homeless. I talk to him whenever I can. He has a tent and keeps warm at night with a propane heater. His worst habit is drinking Starbucks coffee. He, too, is very polite and will accept your gift.

I just saw George today riding his bike on 2818. I used to work at Starbucks a few years ago...he would just ask for hot water and add a bunch of sugar to it. Really nice guy
Chazz03
AG
quote:
My roommate and I bought them McDonald's last year (that's where we met). They were just inside trying to stay warm. Like previous have said she is mute and communicates through writing on a little notepad. That is also her son. She says he has very bad communication skills as well. Very nice and grateful.

One thing I haven't figured out is why I will see them for a few weeks and then not see them again for a 3-4 months. Then randomly they will pop up again. It has been this pattern for the two years I have been here.

As with most homeless I bet they travel from town to town on greyhound. I've actually run into George in FW before
NativeTxn
Would a local bank set up an account so they could access funds from donations, maybe? I would be happy to donate to the fund and provide some coats and/or blankets. I can't imagine what it must be like trying to keep warm in this weather.
The Anchor
AG
quote:
Mother and son couple from California. She is mute and he only whispers.

This is correct
chloelee
I saw her sleeping inside the Northgate Post Office a couple of months ago.
originaltexan
This is complex in the sense that they are very transient and move about.

We have Twin City Missions in Bryan, but honestly, these people don't do too well in a structured environment. It is hard to explain, and I am not mental health expert by any means. There is a certain behavior that you see in some of the homeless people. One is the moving about, and in this case, going to different cities or slipping through the cracks.

I talked to George once and he road a train to CO. I didn't ask why. Perhaps because he is just like you and me and wanted a change of scenery. He gets about $500 from the government each month.

Ideally, these people would have a place to sleep every night in a perfect world. I just think they fear, skepticism, paranoia, anxiety, and whatever else keep these folks moving to survive.

I bet the woman and son see a spike in their donations because of this board and wonder what is going on.

Surely, don't hesitate to help George or the lady. I will learn her name if I see her so that we can know her by name.
Alte Schule
I've seen this couple around town off and on during the last two years. When I was in a local store last month they came in . "George" picked up a 600$ laptop and started asking the clerk questions about it, like if it could " Google." Then he stood next to me. He reeked and I mean absolutely reeked of marijuana. So much so it nearly brought tears to my eyes. They left a few minutes later and I mentioned to the clerk about the marijuana smell. He stated that they came in there once or twice a month and have to keep the doors open after they leave. You had to be there to appreciate how bad it was. If you want to help these people buy them some food or give them some clean clothes. Don't give them cash money or anything that can be redeemed as cash.
originaltexan
Yes, odors are there, and to be expected. 100% homeless.

Reefer, I really doubt that. I know George, and I really don't think he is a toker.
ksp
Marijuana has a distinct smell to confuse with something else.
Mr. Griswold
quote:
I've seen this couple around town off and on during the last two years. When I was in a local store last month they came in . "George" picked up a 600$ laptop and started asking the clerk questions about it, like if it could " Google." Then he stood next to me. He reeked and I mean absolutely reeked of marijuana. So much so it nearly brought tears to my eyes. They left a few minutes later and I mentioned to the clerk about the marijuana smell. He stated that they came in there once or twice a month and have to keep the doors open after they leave. You had to be there to appreciate how bad it was. If you want to help these people buy them some food or give them some clean clothes. Don't give them cash money or anything that can be redeemed as cash.

Based on your story, I think you're getting George and the mother/son duo mixed up.
barefoot
Alte Schule-"George" is a different homeless person referred to above, not the son of the woman (the couple who dresses in white bedsheets) also mentioned in this thread.
FlyRod
Is George the bearded chatty fellow who used to hang out at Freebirds and talk to anyone and everyone he could there?
originaltexan
George doesn't have a beard. Has something that looks like a jheri curl.
Alte Schule
I grew up in Aistin in the 60's and 70's and have been in some type of law enforcement for the past 40 years. I know weed when I smell it. "George"was about 5-5 to 5-7 probably 160 lbs. approx. 30 years old, with facial hair, he was wearing a tan jacket and multi layer type sweat pants. His head was completely covered by a towel with a large bulge on the top and I assumed dreadlocks underneath as I have seen this "rasta" style before. Older female that was with him was wrapped in two or three layers of bedsheets with a white bandana covering her head. She was smaller and approximately 100 lbs. She was pushing one of those small metal carts, full of stuff, w/two wheels and the male had a small backpack.

it's very possible that we are talking about different people but I am just describing the couple I encountered. And please before you begin piling on I do not have anything against people that have dreads and wear bedsheets in public. My warning from above still remains. Don't give homeless people cash.

AggieAces06
AG
Alte- you are definitely talking about different people.

George is an older guy who is usually alone and dressed very eccentrically. (Sometimes in camo, sometimes even in women's clothing)

The couple you are referring too seem to travel together, and the male is younger.
originaltexan
George is about 55 to 65 years old

Frail

Very poor dental. Let me emphasize, poor dental care.

Of Anglo descent

Doesn't smoke ganga

There is a difference between the drag worms in Austin and a true homeless person.

I am 100% familiar with drag worms and those in the grunge scene looking for reefer & against the establishment.
ksp
quote:
I grew up in Aistin in the 60's and 70's and have been in some type of law enforcement for the past 40 years. I know weed when I smell it. "George"was about 5-5 to 5-7 probably 160 lbs. approx. 30 years old, with facial hair, he was wearing a tan jacket and multi layer type sweat pants. His head was completely covered by a towel with a large bulge on the top and I assumed dreadlocks underneath as I have seen this "rasta" style before. Older female that was with him was wrapped in two or three layers of bedsheets with a white bandana covering her head. She was smaller and approximately 100 lbs. She was pushing one of those small metal carts, full of stuff, w/two wheels and the male had a small backpack.

it's very possible that we are talking about different people but I am just describing the couple I encountered. And please before you begin piling on I do not have anything against people that have dreads and wear bedsheets in public. My warning from above still remains. Don't give homeless people cash.

I was actually in your corner and agreeing that you probably smelled it. It is a smell like no other.
justalocal
I was told that " the colonel" who I believe is the George some of y'all are speaking of has a bank account and gets a small disability check each month. Don't know how true but I heard at a church by a guy that claimed to have picked him up, allowed him to shower at his home and then offered to help him turn his life around. He said that the after the guy showered, he told him that he knew what he was trying to do - that he wasn't the first but he liked the way he lived.

Many homeless people have mental health problems which tends to be a factor in them being homeless.
Alte Schule
Now I know who your talking about. He used to be a fixture in downtown Bryan. At night he slept on a bench right outside the courthouse and during the day I used to see him at various locations, not far from downtown, playing dominoes with other guys and getting nourishment from a brown paper bag. Havent seen him since they started construction on the new courthouse three or four years ago. He had a bicycle then and I know he was arrested once or twice for not paying tickets related to traffic offenses and trespassing charges. I know guys that used to work the night shift at the old downtown jail used to give him food and coffee and, if Ii remember correctly, some of the ladies that worked in the courthouse got in trouble for taking up a collection and buying him some blankets. He's a nice enough guy I guess, fairly smart, but a different person, so I was told, after he had been drinking.

KSP --No Offense taken

techno-ag
AG
quote:

Many homeless people have mental health problems which tends to be a factor in them being homeless.
Painting with a broad brush there.
summergal
The couple, mother and son, are harmless. I have spoken to both of them. They are just trying to live their life. Have helped them both with food, shelter and car rides. They do manage to make it to different spots outside of BCS. They are both sweet people.

George I have always seen on his bicycle or just plain walking, nice guy and yes he does have a BO.

There is another guy who rides his bicycle, older probably early 60's used to live down the road from us in a tent. He is a productive person.
FlyRod
quote:
Painting with a broad brush there.

Uh, no...stating a fact. The rate of mental illness among the general population is approximately 6%, and between 20-25% in homeless people.
originaltexan
Well, I speculate that this thread will so go by the wayside.

Keep in mind the cold weather. If you see our friends, be kind to them.

Signing off this topic ....
duffelpud
AG
quote:
Many home-owners have mental health problems.
FlyRod
quote:
Well, I speculate that this thread will so go by the wayside.

Keep in mind the cold weather. If you see our friends, be kind to them.

Signing off this topic ....

Even if it does, you've done more than enough to shed light on the situation of this couple, so thank you. I suspect as some have said that more people will reach out to assist them. So thank you, originaltexan.
toolshed
AG
Thanks to all for the information. Of course, since I posted this, I have not seen then again but will keep an eye out for them.
BCStalk
These two might possibly be camped out in Bryan right now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.