Who is that I hear playing at Easterwood?

3,550 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Tailgate88
C XX I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can hear them quite well, but am not in a position to see them - are they F15s? Maybe 2 or 3 of them?
FlyRod
F-15. Watching it buzz my office right now. Extremely cool.
blondlogic
We saw/heard too -- way cool! Any idea what's going on? Too early for Green Berets, right?
C XX I
Presumably practicing touch and gos. Easterwood has a relatively rare approach that gives airmen the excuse to come practice here.
CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:
Presumably practicing touch and gos. Easterwood has a relatively rare approach that gives airmen the excuse to come practice here.

That's what it looked like, two of them were making laps
Mr. Griswold
Can someone explain the rare approach? I'm curious.
C XX I
The argument I've always heard from pilots out here for training/flight time is that the required angle of approach, the change in elevation of the runway, and its overall length make it 1 of 6 or so runways in the US that aren't too high traffic for them to practice on. Add in the high number of Aggies in the military, the ATC familiarity with military craft, and the fact that we're in the middle of the country (good length for a day trip from many bases) and it's a perfect storm of great place to train. The exact mechanics of the approach and why it's so unique are a bit over my head, but I'm trying to find an old email that helped me understand it.

If aeronautical navigation is something you're familiar with, the IFR plates provide a great deal of insight - http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KCLL/APD/AIRPORT+DIAGRAM
O.G.
quote:
The argument I've always heard from pilots out here for training/flight time is that the required angle of approach, the change in elevation of the runway, and its overall length make it 1 of 6 or so runways in the US that aren't too high traffic for them to practice on. Add in the high number of Aggies in the military, the ATC familiarity with military craft, and the fact that we're in the middle of the country (good length for a day trip from many bases) and it's a perfect storm of great place to train. The exact mechanics of the approach and why it's so unique are a bit over my head, but I'm trying to find an old email that helped me understand it.

If aeronautical navigation is something you're familiar with, the IFR plates provide a great deal of insight - http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KCLL/APD/AIRPORT+DIAGRAM

This.

Plus a college town is a great place for fly boys to *coughs* have technical difficulty and have to go into town.....or so I'm told.
Tradishun
quote:
I can hear them quite well, but am not in a position to see them - are they F15s? Maybe 2 or 3 of them?

And hear I thought you were talking about a change in that annoying loop of announcements that happens inside the terminal, with that sickeningly syrupy woman's voice.

But it's just planes. Alas, my hopes have been dashed!
C XX I
Oh god those announcements.
Tradishun
quote:
Oh god those announcements.

At least the horrid ones at DFW only play occasionally! The ones at CLL are on a continuous loop.

Thanks for getting my hopes all raised, and then dashing them so cruelly, C XX I!
Scruffy
AG
F15s.

Watched them for about 10-15min practice touch and go then they headed north.

I don't think they stayed for lunch like many others do.

Also, while I didn't catch the unit markings, I think on the last one, I saw a backseater; so I think they were F15Es
armymom
Also heard them loudly all the way out by Scott & White hospital!
Kate Beckett
AG
So THAT'S what I heard this morning. I heard the planes flying by a lot (live out by Easterwood) and figured something had to be up.
TravelinAg76
AG
"Plus a college town is a great place for fly boys to *coughs* have technical difficulty and have to go into town.....or so I'm told."

Sawgunner is right; I used to work at a staple restaurant here back in college and Aggie pilots would make an effort to make sure they had to "refuel" at Easterwood so they could come eat at our restaurant. Good Bull right there.
techno-ag
AG
Whatever brings tourists to town, it's all good.
Tailgate88
AG
I know a former student who was a pilot. As others have said, flying to Aggieland for a Big Freddy Burger or a Freebirds was a favorite lunch plan while they were logging their required flight hours. They used to call these trips "Taxpayer Appreciation Days".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.