How long before these pop up in B/CS?

4,897 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by anonymousaggie
Finding X
How long do you want to ignore this user?
People have been living in shipping container in 3rd world countries for a long time and now the last few years architects have artists have been trying to reinvent them into modern/trendy lofts, or condos, or full blown homes.
In Huntsville, there is a groups building tiny loft apartments >> I wonder how long before we see colorful little cube homes/apartments here in aggieland?

http://kagstv.com/News/KAGSNews/ID/7582/Shipping-Containers-Turned-Into-Apartment-Homes-in-Huntsville
ksp
CS would not allow it, as it wont meet "CODE" but could see then opening up in Bryan.

They look neat, the container bar on rainey st in Austin is cool.
FlyRod
There is a whole cottage industry (pun intended) in *tiny* houses popping up, that is being driven by Millenials mostly who want to own a home but are of course priced way out of the market. All the best to them and a lot of these places are pretty cool looking in addition to cute.

I'd worry a bit when a tornado comes though...
halibut sinclair
I like them - looks very cool.
Tim Weaver
A buddy of mine was building a Connex home in Navasota. He was halfway through when he died in a car wreck. Last I heard his father was trying to finish it.

Shipping containers make awesome buildings. I want to do a completely off-grid recording studio with a few!
duffelpud
AG
Egad! We've stumbled on to the solution for the COCS new city hall and executive offices! Throw in the Appraisal District offices to boot.
originaltexan
It is an effort that started about two years ago on Yahoo and other social media.

In San Fran, they will put them in salvage yards or industrial business areas to get cheap land rental.

Basically, there was a push for people to ride bikes (oil and gas is evil)

Live in a tiny house like Paul does because there is no need to have anything bigger than 500 sq ft, and evil banks charge too much for interest and loans.

Go green because the earth is getting hotter and hotter each day.

However, there are MANY problems with the tiny house syndrome. One is taxation. It is beyond difficult to tax one of these things. Some crafty people try to put them on a metal frame so that they are portable. Then you run into squatter issues, like who will give me electric hook up or water.

Google LEGAL TINY HOUSE to see attempts to be off the grid.

Then you get into code issues about fire and safety, points of egress.

You never know what chemical or toxin was shipped over and over in the crate.

Finally, there are real issues about sanitation. Some of these houses have a 5 gallon business for your business. That truly becomes an issue of filth.

It is a trend that won't last long.
duffelpud
AG
FlyRod
quote:
However, there are MANY problems with the tiny house syndrome. One is taxation. It is beyond difficult to tax one of these things.

Why is this a problem?
LOYAL AG
AG
I agree with everything you said except I think it will last a long time. The economy is crumbling and people are going to live where they can afford which is increasingly not what traditionally passed for the American dream. Plus even people that can afford it we're seeing more people that just don't want the rat race. This kind of stuff is tailor made for that segment of the population.
originaltexan
Just reporting what I read.

Problem because the taxing authorities know you live somewhere but the taxable property can't be identified.

I saw some youtubes on it where folks truly wanted off the grid. They had an okay place to live mixed in a true warehouse district. They just blended it. There was the problem with the county, and because it was on a frame, it made taxing laws more complex. Some cities started to create ordinances to try to get a grip on the houses because money is involved.

http://tinyhouselistings.com/codes-and-the-tiny-house/

$$
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
CS would not allow it, as it wont meet "CODE"
Just spray paint them maroon and you're good.
ksp
quote:
quote:
Wrong, they gotta be BEIGE!!
lost my dog
In all seriousness, if you cut too big a hole in the metal siding, you run into structural support issues. Unlike your house where the studs are 12-16 inches apart, the major support on these is at the corners. They aren't made for windows.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Wrong, they gotta be BEIGE!!
Tell that to Whataburger.
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment

says hi!
Wildmen03
AG
So trailer park living without having to tell people you live in a trailer park.
techno-ag
AG
FlyRod
Tim Weaver
quote:
lost my dog 11:20p, 2/26/15
In all seriousness, if you cut too big a hole in the metal siding, you run into structural support issues. Unlike your house where the studs are 12-16 inches apart, the major support on these is at the corners. They aren't made for windows.

Not really. Since all the strength is in the corners, you can cut the whole side out of them and still be fine. Steel is strong stuff. And these were made to battle the oceans while having thousands of tons stacked on top of them. Way, way stronger than a typical stick frame building.
halibut sinclair
Tim Weaver

This guy had an idea and took it to an engineering firm. They tweaked it a little, but there are 2000 sq ft rooms in this place with clear spans. Heck, his garage has a 20 ft ceiling too!
anonymousaggie
I actually want one of these.. I imagine mine looking more like this though:
http://www.jetsongreen.com/2009/06/maison-idekit-shipping-container-homes.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.