Contacting the College Station Post Office

7,731 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by meezermom
meezermom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been calling the 693-4152 number for the past hour trying to find out where a package is. USPS tracking isn't pulling up anything other than that it left its source 12 days ago. The phone just keeps ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing.

How do I get in touch with these people? Hubby is at work all day with the car, so I don't have a way to go in person - and shouldn't really have to. What's going on over there?!
FightingAggie
AG
Send them a letter.
95_Aggie
AG
Good luck with that
redd38
AG
I had this problem a couple months ago... I just ended up re-buying the item in the package they lost. It was only $25ish and not worth the effort.
amdee28
I just had something delivered to me that was supposed to go to an address in Corpus. Maybe your package is there.
AgSportsFan2007
AG
I've gotten them via phone once a few months ago. I just kept calling and letting it ring forever.

Best option is to go inside and speak with the lady against the far wall (I think her name starts with a V). She's really the only one who is helpful.
meezermom
Yeah, I won't even get into how crappy our mail service is. I was just wondering if I could get in touch with anyone. I mailed a birthday card to my mom in Houston and it took 13 work days (not counting Sundays) for them to get it to her.
CS78
That post office is TERRBILE! They just ignore the phones.
Mr. Griswold
You have to get lucky. I tried calling yesterday for about 10 minutes before giving up and calling the main 800-number. After waiting on hold there for about 15 or 20 minutes the line got disconnected. So I called back the local number and miraculously got right through. Makes no sense.
C XX I
The Northgate office doesn't even call the CS hub office when they need to talk to them - they won't answer the phone for their own people, much less us.

Go in and talk to whomever is at the pickup desk. Don't leave until you speak to a manager or get the box. It took me an hour, but they found it in the back improperly sorted.
ksp
This is not just a CS issue, the entire USPS sucks and is a dying dinosaur. It is amazing they scratch their head and figure out why they are flailing. Govt in action, or lack of action I guess we should say. V. typical of USPS.
ksp
You could call and voice a complaint, but almost assuredly a complete and utter waste of your valuable time.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/hotline
Diamond Geezer
This makes perfectly good sense to me. They don't have anyone solely manning the phones. Most of the employees are working to help the people who made the effort to be there in person. I know if i was in line at the post office, and the postal employee made me wait so they could answer the phone and deal with another customer's query, I would not be happy.

So it's a prioritization of customer service in the flesh which I happen to appreciate. The phones can be answered when there is a free opportunity.

We need to give the USPS in this town a big break. They are doing the best they can with the diminishing resources available to them. My experiences with mail transit times have been excellent lately.
Scooley01
AG
I had this experience a year ago trying to call them...never did get through. I sent a complaint on the website and never heard back from anyone.

quote:
This makes perfectly good sense to me. They don't have anyone solely manning the phones. Most of the employees are working to help the people who made the effort to be there in person. I know if i was in line at the post office, and the postal employee made me wait so they could answer the phone and deal with another customer's query, I would not be happy.

So it's a prioritization of customer service in the flesh which I happen to appreciate. The phones can be answered when there is a free opportunity.

We need to give the USPS in this town a big break. They are doing the best they can with the diminishing resources available to them. My experiences with mail transit times have been excellent lately.

The vast majority of businesses do not have people dedicated to answering the phone, and yet they manage to juggle the in-person business with any phone calls that come in. Not having a receptionist is not an excuse for ignoring your customers. No one is saying an employee should drop everything to answer the phone, but if they have a phone, they should answer it.
ksp
quote:

Then why even have a phone in the first place?? Save money and disconnect it, or why even have the annoying distraction of it ringing??

Agree with above, the govt gets a pass on normal everyday business practices?? Again no wonder they are losing billions per year. Thought logic such as this is why the govt is a mess top to bottom.

They should just do us a favor and go ahead and shut down nationwide and let UPS and Fedex run it all.

I have not spent a dime with the USPS in over 5 years. Pay all bills online and ship via UPS only these days. USPS only gets my money is UPS outsources to them and they only do that when it is cheaper for them(UPS SMART, USPS could take notice of this example and try to get better)
95_Aggie
AG
Diamond Geezer trying to stir up trouble on a thread. Imagine that.
Diamond Geezer
I don't know what you are on about, AgnCS.

All I'm trying to say is that everyone knows going to the post office is not a pleasant experience. It's sort of like the DPS. People who call in are trying to avoid the inconvenience of actually taking the time to go there. But the fact is, some people make the decision to go there in person, and THOSE PEOPLE should be prioritized. Get to the phones when you can but not at the expense of the people waiting to see you in person.

I don't think you can make an apples to apples comparison of the post office and commercial businesses.
ksp
I don't see why not. The USPS separates themselves as a seperate entity to PROFIT like an everyday business. In fact it is the second biggest corporation in the world behind walmart......the DPS is not a for profit business
Oogway
quote:
quote:
...(Quote SNIP) the govt gets a pass on normal everyday business practices?? Again no wonder they are losing billions per year. Thought logic such as this is why the govt is a mess top to bottom. ...(Quote SNIP)I have not spent a dime with the USPS in over 5 years. Pay all bills online and ship via UPS only these days. USPS only gets my money is UPS outsources to them and they only do that when it is cheaper for them(UPS SMART, USPS could take notice of this example and try to get better)

I don't think they should get a pass...however, they don't have the luxury of 'cherry-picking' which routes to drive everyday like the parcel companies do. Six days a week they travel up and down each street in each city that has mail service. Whether you or I have mail or not. The neighborhood boxes help with efficiency , but you can mail a birthday card to Idaho for the same price that you mail one in town. Many businesses cannot operate that way. Parcel service is where the money is made and to my understanding that is why UPS and Fed Ex got into delivery in the first place. The routes that are unprofitable to them they can outsource back to the government.

I suppose that doesn't explain the unanswered telephone, but like Diamond Geezer explained, they may be giving priority to those who are there face-to-face.
Diamond Geezer
ksp, I guess I'm old fashioned. Instead of calling the library and asking what the population of China is (or some other obscure fact), I will drive over there and ask them in person. I find that I get better customer service in person. So I admit that I am biased in that I like to do business face to face. When you put yourself in that position (for whatever reason), people who try to skirt the system by calling are in competition for the service for which you took time out of your own day to receive.

I always keep this in mind if I have to call a doctor's office and end up having to leave a message.

The post from the lady the other day with the weekend banking problem made me laugh. We used to just accept the fact that Monday 8 a.m. bright and early was the only option if you had an issue like that. Sundays things were closed any way, so it was only one day a week that was cause for concern.
C XX I
quote:
People who call in are trying to avoid the inconvenience of actually taking the time to go there.
Or they're disabled. Or they're the shipper and aren't local. Or they're another USPS employee trying to do their job, as I specifically mentioned above. Or they're a local business that can't go in in person during hours the USPS is open. Or they're just any ol' citizen who works and can't go in during hours the USPS is open.

But, yeah, sure. Let's stick to your rhetoric.

quote:
Instead of calling the library and asking what the population of China is (or some other obscure fact), I will drive over there and ask them in person.
That's not even slightly comparable. Calling the USPS to find a package (OP's problem, and mine a week ago) would be like calling a library to see if they have a book, after trying to use their online system only to find it inaccurate. That's an entirely reasonable purpose to call a library, and an entirely reasonable purpose to call a USPS office.
SumAggie
another highly efficient guv'mint operation ran by union personnel.......
techno-ag
AG
rsa
AG
quote:
Most of the employees are working to help the people who made the effort to be there in person.
Maybe. The last two times I have been there, the person in charge scanned the growing line of patrons and pulled a worker off of counter duty to go do something else in the back.
Diamond Geezer
CXI, I understand that you are and the world you in is a 24-hour instant gratification paradise. But the reality of the situation is that you can't just put a whale in a dress meant for Mitzi Gaynor and make magic, CXI.
Now the original poster of this thread specifically pointed out the College Station Post Office. Your issue is with the postal system in general.

And like I said, there are many differences between the postal system and private businesses. And some very good reasons for those differences, too. I hope you understand.
C XX I
Actually, my issue is with this office in particular; they lost a package of mine for a week and it was hell getting it back.

You always make very pointed and disparaging remarks, especially condescending tripe regarding age. I'm genuinely surprised Staff allows you to keep posting on the Aggieland board.
boysmom
Try this # 696-3845. I have gotten through on this # several times with different issues. Now getting an answer or solution is another story.
Diamond Geezer
quote:
Actually, my issue is with this office in particular; they lost a package of mine for a week and it was hell getting it back.

You always make very pointed and disparaging remarks, especially condescending tripe regarding age. I'm genuinely surprised Staff allows you to keep posting on the Aggieland board.

I'm genuinely sorry I hurt your feelings. That was not my intention. I hope you will accept my apology.
I will edit my post to take out mention of age.
rc_cat
Not that it helps in contacting the CS post office, but I had a package mailed from NJ on 2/9 - and did not receive it until 2/21. The tracking was updated 2/9 with the departure from the NJ location and wasn't updated again until 2/20 when it hit the Houston system.

ksp
I also prefer face to face but why make an email or get phone if you are not going to to use it?!? You don't build a grocery store to sell shoes, you don't buy a car to keep it parker in the driveway, you don't order dinner to not eat it. Do away with the phone and state publicly, we only help people who come in . Problem solved
ksp
I'll also add this, the DPS has a cornered market, you want to drive? you take what they give you and you will like it. At one point the USPS had a cornered market too and they could treat you anyway they wanted and not give a hoot about it, however there is plenty of competition out there now , and they have done a V. poor job of adapting to the ever changing environment they are in, which is why they are losing their arse.
Tim Weaver
Won't help the OP, but when I have to mail a package I go to the Wellborn PO. It is well worth the short drive.
Diamond Geezer
Correct, but again, the OP is upset with the local post office. My contention is that they are doing the best with the resources they have. We should all accept that the post office is an antiquated system. It won't be changing any time soon.
ksp
quote:
Correct, but again, the OP is upset with the local post office. My contention is that they are doing the best with the resources they have. We should all accept that the post office is an antiquated system. It won't be changing any time soon.
Which will be their ultimate demise OR our tax dollars will continuously bail them out. most likely the latter!
Tim Weaver
quote:
Not sure I agree with this one. I used to sell a LOT of stuff on ebay. I shipped internationally all the time. The Bryan PO seems to have about the same amount of staff, and their office runs like clockwork and the staff is friendly and helpful even though they are busy. I also used the MSC PO often and they were also quite friendly and knowledgable about international shipping. The CSPO has a beaten-down, tired, waiting-on-five-o-clock feel to it every time you go in there.

My favorite is still the Wellborn PO.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.