Help Local Hairstylist

3,473 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by heath_ly
heath_ly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texags,

My beautiful sister Kelly, a local hairstylist that has served many of you over the years at Classic Cuts, Corner Cuts, and Haircuts at Whitney's; has recently been hit with some very heartbreaking news.

If she's cut your hair, or you've heard her speak you know of her raspy Janis Joplinesque voice, which personally I and my family have always loved. Her unique voice, adds to her incredible personality and we have always thought of it as an amazing quality. Something that set her apart and something that I look forward to still hearing on a daily basis.

However, due to increased difficulty breathing, swallowing, and talking Kelly scheduled an appointment with her ENT on Wednesday 2/4 and was scheduled for a CT scan the following Thursday (2/12). She was immediately called back to her Doctor's office following her CT scan because they found a mass in her larynx.

She has since been diagnosed with a form of Laryngeal Cancer. This is extremely rare, especially for a woman and anyone under the age of 50. Which is why it has gone undetected for so long. Currently, her Doctors' plan is to start an aggressive treatment regimen consisting of both chemotherapy and radiation. We are hopeful and praying that treatment will be successful, and hopefully she will avoid having to have a tracheostomy.

Within a matter of two weeks, our world has been completely turned upside down. Our lovely, beautiful, witty, kind daughter, sister, mother and friend to so many, not to mention the best hairstylist of all time; is now fighting the hardest battle of and for her life. Not only for herself, but for her son, her family, and her friends.

You never imagine to get hit with Cancer, especially when you are 28 and a single mother. Which makes this hard to even say or type without my eyes welling up now. Kelly's treatment is and will be very expensive, so we are seeking assistance on every level to help us as a family pay for her treatment. She is not alone in this, she knows that her family and friends will be with her every step of the way.

Now, we are reaching out to you; with love, faith, and hope that you will help us fight this terrible, terrible disease that takes too many lives each year. I have set up a GoFundMe for Kelly's medical expenses. If you are able to donate even a $1, it would be greatly appreciated and my family would be eternally grateful.

http://s3.postimg.org/ff5vdftwz/10478199_10155018634840501_416579871803307922_n.jpg

With all the love in my heart,

Heather

http://www.gofundme.com/KellyC
classicdoug
AG
Kelly is an awesome person. Cancer sucks.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Picture for the rook.

Will be praying for her and family/friends.
heath_ly
Thank you both! And F!!! cancer! It's cruel, non-discriminatory, and just simply unfair.

The prayers are extremely needed and appreciated.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I don't know how common this is, but my mom had a very rare cancer. Because of its rarity, MD Anderson treated her at no cost in order to research her case. Again, not sure how often that happens, but something maybe to inquire about? And, my mom's cancer was supposed to be terminal, but she passed her "six weeks to live" mark about 20 years ago and is one of the healthiest people I know.
momlaw
AG
quote:
And, my mom's cancer was supposed to be terminal, but she passed her "six weeks to live" mark about 20 years ago and is one of the healthiest people I know.
heath_ly
Thank you Princess! She has a follow-up tomorrow with more information about the specific type. From what we know now she has Stage T4, subglottis laryngeal cancer, which has very little data. We'll hopefully know the N and M staging tomorrow.

We're praying for any top hospital to pick her up to help us with treatment. To make matters worse, her insurance company went out of business 3 months ago but was still accepting her payments. To the best of our knowledge no contact was made to alert her of their closure. So now we're trying to get her covered in the marketplace.

We've filed a complaint via the Texas Department of Insurance. We hope that they are able to recover her past 3 premiums and cover what has already been done up to this point and hopefully beyond. Since she was self employed of "middle class" income level, the premiums were out of this world.

It's so disheartening looking at the costs mounting up and never realizing that you literally have to pay to survive.
PrincessButtercup
AG
If you're comfortable, you could post what info you find out tomorrow. My mom's experience at MD Anderson led my sister to study cancer and she works at MDA. Maybe she could offer some advice for who might be good to talk to.
PhiAggie
AG
My sister and I took her flowers on Friday. Kelly is a darling girl and id take this from her if I could.

Kelly gave an update today. Stage 4 and spread to the cartilage in her neck. Please help any way you can.
ChampsAg
Kelly gave both of my boys their first haircuts. My oldest always asks to go see Ms. Kelly. Our family's thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
heath_ly
Today was a rough day and even with preparation, it still hurt hearing the words. Our family is beyond grateful for the tremendous amount of emotional support, donations, and prayers.

Kelly IS going to kick the hell outta this! Every ounce of our bodies and souls know it. There is no other way.

Friends are planning a benefit, as soon as information is available we will post everywhere possible.

Love,
Heather (sister) & Family
PrincessButtercup
AG
So sorry for the rough news. I just messaged my sister to see if she might have any helpful info. Praying for peace for Kelly, you, and your family.
AggiePirate
AG
T&P for Kelly and family.
heath_ly
Just wanted to give an update, Kelly had her mediport installed today. We are as ready as we can be for Chemo on Tuesday with Dr. Fleener.

Just want to send thanks again to everyone! If you're the praying the kind, we'd sincerely appreciate them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.