Will you carry when campus carry passes?

7,518 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by FlyRod
TEXAS A and M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
?
AggieJason
AG
Moot question - open/concealed carry on campus will never happen.
FlyRod
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Campus-carry-would-cost-Texas-colleges-millions-6094445.php?t=8f9c43fc96&cmpid=twitter-premium

Oh its coming. And students may not like the increase in their fees to pay for it.
dfphotos
So millions to allow more freedom that requires absolutely nothing additional from the government? That's hilarious.
TEXAS A and M
Someone pulled a whole lot of numbers out of their posterior for that article.
quirkyaggie
AG
I'm so glad I don't work on campus anymore.
O.G.
quote:

This. I have mixed feelings about the issue but numbers in the article make no sense. People already carry everywhere else, why should this be any different?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I have a wife that's a professor. I am on staff. I waffle on this one, but I keep coming back to if someone wants to commit a violent act a law saying they can't isn't going to stop them. If they try to do something in my wife's class it would be nice if there was someone there that could stop it.

And in my position of making decision regarding people's money, and being in close proximity to offices that deal with financial aid and other student financial matters it would make me feel more comfortable to have protection. The building I work in is the most unsecure building I've ever worked in. Anyone could walk in and go to any office.
C XX I
SKF, while active shooter situations are the scariest (and I like your take on them) it's important to know that the biggest effect Campus Carry could have would be to allow students who walk to and from campuses through bad neighborhoods. Texas A&M isn't the worst at this, although there are certainly areas around here I'd hate to be a young girl alone at night, but campuses like UofH definitely come to mind. Prohibited carry on campus means that otherwise legal carry on or off campus is prohibited simply because one of that person's destinations is inside a campus building.
BaitShack
AG
quote:
quote:

This. I have mixed feelings about the issue but numbers in the article make no sense. People already carry everywhere else, why should this be any different?
Exactly.

I'll carry, but people will never know.

I don't understand why people think campus would be any different. For those who are against it, do you feel uneasy in a movie theater, restaurant, store, church? People are carrying in all of those places.
The Original AG 76
AG
Concealed carry is only allowed for licensed 21 year old ADULTS who can pass background test and the class. I COMPLETELY trust 21 year old Aggies and staff to be able to do what any other ADULT can do regarding firearms. The millions and million of dollars in cost that is being bandied about is pure FICTION with absolutely NO basis. Why does it cost a single DIME to allow an ADULT to carry a firearm in a legal manner ?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
If you think there aren't people already on campus carrying you're kidding yourself.
Mr. Griswold
Yes. My wife more than likely will too.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
If you think there aren't people already on campus carrying you're kidding yourself.
This. Plus, hundreds maybe thousands of cars drive through and around campus every day with guns inside them.
dfphotos
for a while it was almost routine they'd send out crime alerts regarding students getting mugged or beaten walking home from the library late at night.
BlazeHarper
I was kind of thinking that if I was a criminal I would not mind open carry as I could (1) have easy access to a gun by simply whacking someone in the back of the head and (2) know which people I needed to shoot first. This is just my initial thought and I have no actually knowledge of the data and statistics compiled regarding the subject.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Campus Carry =/= Open Carry. They are separate issues.
EMY92
AG
quote:
When I was in school, I visited a friend of mine that lived in Underwood (girls dorm at the time). I sat on her bed and a .38 slide out from under the pillow. She said that nothing unwanted was ever going to happen in her room.

This is before concealed carry was allowed in the state.
C XX I
Consider how often this (doesn't) happen to cops or armed guards outside of movies.
LOYAL AG
AG
Gun Control is not about guns it's about control. It's patently absurd that the state has the right to tell us we can or can't have a gun. There are no statistics to support the opposition to gun ownership yet the same silly ass arguments keep getting trotted out by those that think they know better than the rest of us or those that are afraid of inanimate objects. The "cost estimates" are based entirely on what schools would opt to do to restrict gun rights once it's on their shoulders instead of simply illegal. There is apparently no thought given to simply allowing adults to make their own decisions here, just how to control something that the data says doesn't need control.
Tradishun
quote:

This may be true -- I'd have no way to know one way or the other -- but if it is, such folks are obviously (by definition) not good "law abiding" citizens. And that's disturbing.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
It's only disturbing now that you know about it? You were fine going along in blissful ignorance thinking no one was protecting themselves before?
redd38
AG
quote:
It's only disturbing now that you know about it? You were fine going along in blissful ignorance thinking no one was protecting themselves before?
Can you list all the things that disturb you that you don't know about?
FlyRod
Given all the willful driving infractions that occur around here, I think the phrase "law abiding citizens" ceased to have any meaning long ago. Still makes for a good platitude though.
O.G.
In this day and age, any place where the citizen are not armed is a soft target. Not just for some potential "terror" threat, but for lone gunmen etc.

I carry 100% of the time. If I have to go on campus, that's just too bad. I'm still going to carry. Schools, banks, hospitals, all of them are supposed to be "gun free zones" (although banks are not really, that is a myth) and they are also the ones where shootings happen....a lot.

I have to agree with what the MN State Rep said about the Mall of America.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/02/22/lawmaker-challenging-mall-of-americas-gun-policy-after-threat/
Marlin39m
quote:
In this day and age, any place where the citizen are not armed is a soft target. Not just for some potential "terror" threat, but for lone gunmen etc.

I carry 100% of the time. If I have to go on campus, that's just too bad. I'm still going to carry. Schools, banks, hospitals, all of them are supposed to be "gun free zones" (although banks are not really, that is a myth) and they are also the ones where shootings happen....a lot.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/02/22/lawmaker-challenging-mall-of-americas-gun-policy-after-threat/

So you want your rights respected but to hell with the rights of a business owner to restrict who he wants? I carry concealed every day, too. I also respect the rights of others although I may disagree with their thought process.
O.G.
quote:
quote:

So you want your rights respected but to hell with the rights of a business owner to restrict who he wants? I carry concealed every day, too. I also respect the rights of others although I may disagree with their thought process.
Ah yes, you are correct. I should restate. if the business owner does not want me armed, he does not want my business. It is quite literally that simple. I obey gun laws and respect the wishes of business owners up until the point that I feel that doing so would or could put me in danger.
SumAggie
yes - I will continue to carry....
Tradishun
quote:
quote:
quote:
I obey gun laws ...

But you also said:

quote:
I carry 100% of the time. If I have to go on campus, that's just too bad. I'm still going to carry.

So you apparently *say* that you obey gun laws, except for when you *don't* obey gun laws. Lovely.

And this was my point above about people who go on about how "law abiding" they are, except for when they aren't.

Fabulous stuff.

Gig 'em and God bless.
C XX I
It's perfectly legal to carry on campus as long as you do not go into buildings. That does not include parking garages, but does include buildings attached to them.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I obey gun laws ...

But you also said:

quote:
I carry 100% of the time. If I have to go on campus, that's just too bad. I'm still going to carry.

So you apparently *say* that you obey gun laws, except for when you *don't* obey gun laws. Lovely.

And this was my point above about people who go on about how "law abiding" they are, except for when they aren't.

Fabulous stuff.

Gig 'em and God bless.
People who want to shoot people on campus aren't going to be dissuaded by laws. They don't say to themselves, "Oh my gosh! It's against the law to bring a gun into classrooms! I guess I'd better not do it!"

Personally, I feel much safer knowing licensed adults are carrying around me, and can help even the odds of survival in the event of a shooting.
O.G.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I obey gun laws ...

But you also said:

quote:

Fabulous stuff.

Gig 'em and God bless.
Well, how bout this. I don't rob banks, I generally drive somewhere around the speed limit, I don't break into houses, steal or commit arson.

I do however, carry a gun. Legally. 100% of the time. IF I have to go into a building that does not allow it, which is almost never, BUT if I did, I would still carry. Always have always will. What ever room I am standing in is infinitely safer with me armed than with me unarmed.

Gun free zones are soft targets. It's that simple. The 30.06 sign or 51% sign on the front of a business isn't going to stop a criminal, especially one bent on killing people. Therefore, I do not let it stop me either.

The VERY narrow exception to this is some amusement parks (six flags etc) where not only is it illegal to carry a weapon, it would also be very difficult. Nearly impossible to carry while on a roller coaster but I haven't' been in years so that's not really an issue. Also, out of respect for the LEOs doing their job, I don't even try in a courthouse, even though again, places like that are safer with guys like me armed. Courthouses are also in the soft target category and no the overweight deputies at the door do not make you "safe".

Everything else is fair game.
BlueMiles
AG
quote:
Gun free zones are soft targets. It's that simple. The 30.06 sign or 51% sign on the front of a business isn't going to stop a criminal, especially one bent on killing people. Therefore, I do not let it stop me either.

The VERY narrow exception to this is some amusement parks (six flags etc) where not only is it illegal to carry a weapon, it would also be very difficult. Nearly impossible to carry while on a roller coaster but I haven't' been in years so that's not really an issue. Also, out of respect for the LEOs doing their job, I don't even try in a courthouse, even though again, places like that are safer with guys like me armed. Courthouses are also in the soft target category and no the overweight deputies at the door do not make you "safe".

Everything else is fair game.

Everything else is fair game? Like drinking in said bars?
C XX I
I think that's a shame. Carrying into private businesses legally posted against carry is challenging their rights and the rights of others more than them prohibiting your carry is challenging yours. You're making a choice to go in there, taking away their choice to deny you entry.

As for carrying in places currently illegal across the board, such as federal buildings, into buildings on campus, 51%, etc I also disagree. You're undermining the current laws on the books, even if you think no one would ever know. Part of having your own freedom is respecting the freedoms of others. As of now, the laws say you cannot carry in these areas yet you are. You may disagree with the elective process, but those laws are representative of the wishes (voting wishes, at least) of the people. You're placing yourself above the law and the freedoms of others.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
IF I have to go into a building that does not allow it, which is almost never, BUT if I did, I would still carry. Always have always will. What ever room I am standing in is infinitely safer with me
armed than with me unarmed.
Solid post Sawgunner,

I see nothing wrong with what you're doing (at least for the most part). Moral laws/ God's laws trump man made laws. Is it against the law to go 70 in a 65? Yes. Morally is it wrong? No. Just trying to make an example that not all situations are black and white.

I will say I don't necessarily agree that ALL situations you carry, but I have no problem with responsible trained individuals carrying.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.