Hard hitting local news.

8,653 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Stupe
TEXAS A and M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First report, Super Polluters (although completely legal) in the Brazos Valley. Next, you'll get towed if you park on private property and walk to campus.

This is hard hitting stuff here people.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/News-3-Investigates-Know-Before-Youre-Towed-292222021.html?device=phone&c=y

http://www.kbtx.com/news/local/headlines/Tracking-Down-the-Brazos-Valleys-Super-Polluters-292139111.html?device=phone&c=y
PS3D
The old Albertsons parking lot strikes again!

Glad they're finally starting to make clarifications that the rampant towing may have been wrong after all.
shotcaller1
AG
I like when people get towed trying to park on someone else's property just to get to class. It's called paying for a parking pass like the rest of us. Or taking the bus which is arguably more convenient depending on the circumstances.
w8liftr
I think some of yall are posting without reading/watching the towing story. The issue isn't students parking and going to class, its A-1 towing people who park and dine at McDonalds or IHOP.

I thought it was funny how A-1 said they had cameras who caught everyone they towed crossing the street. Please post pics of any cameras on that lot.

Also, as a public service, please post any pics of the spotter and her vehicle so the public can know who to check in with before parking and dining.
BCStalk
Crooks. All they are. I understand doing your job, but you might want to do your homework before doing that job.
lightswitch
If A-1 are preying on unsuspecting customers, by illegally towing cars, they've been doing it for a long, long time, deserving of a nice fat lawsuit.

Also, Mrs. Lady Tow Car Spotter, why did you take off so quick when the reporter was just asking you what you were doing there?
GSS
quote:
....if you park on private property and walk to campus.
Or not walk to campus and still get towed. And improper signage, or signage not posted...but still get towed.
w8liftr
According to the TDLR website, there is no statute of limitations on illegal tows. So there might be a nice fat class action lawsuit heading A-1 and the Stack's direction.
Mr. Griswold
This is why I like Phil Thweatt Wrecker. He refuses to do parking lot tow-aways.
techno-ag
AG
You don't have to worry about getting towed from the IHOP & McDonald's on the bypass.
FlyRod
Bypasses.
w8liftr
Is there a second bypass we are unaware of?
crippleJohn
They prey on students. The spotter, I call her the scare crow, only sits there when A&M is in class. If you happen to be sitting in the parking lot eating and tell someone not to park there A-1 will harass you. I've been watching them do this now for years. These guys are total losers.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
Is there a second bypass we are unaware of?
2818/Harvey Mitchell is considered the western bypass.
FlyRod
quote:
First report, Super Polluters (although completely legal) in the Brazos Valley. Next, you'll get towed if you park on private property and walk to campus.

Actually I thought those were both pretty good stories. Its local news being covered by a local news station. What, pray tell should they be covering if not that?
PhiAggie
AG
From the comments:

If your vehicle has been tow away from a parking lot in Brazos county in the last 2 years, take a pic of the tow signs 99% of the signs are illegal.

Get your receipt & pics, contact TDLR Telephone: (512) 463-6599
Toll-Free (in Texas): (800) 803-9202
Fax: (512) 463-9468 email: CStowing@tdlr.texas.gov

OCCUPATIONS CODE TITLE 14.

Sec. 2308.404. CIVIL LIABILITY OF TOWING COMPANY...
(c) A towing company, booting company, or parking facility owner who intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly violates this chapter is liable to the owner or operator of the vehicle that is the subject of the violation for $1,000 plus three times the amount of fees assessed in the vehicle's removal, towing, storage, or booting.

Sec. 2308.405. CRIMINAL PENALTY. A person commits an offense if the person violates this chapter. An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $500 or more than $1,500 unless it is shown on trial of the offense that the person knowingly or intentionally violated this chapter, in which event the offense is a Class B misdemeanor.
rsa
AG
quote:
Also, Mrs. Lady Tow Car Spotter, why did you take off so quick when the reporter was just asking you what you were doing there?
She also littered--threw her cigarette butt out the window. Classy.
shotcaller1
AG
I'd be willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of students that rightfully get towed out of that area know they shouldn't have parked there unless they were visiting the establishment that the parking lot serves. Spotter or no spotter, you can't argue with the fact that it's wrong to park at McDonald's and go to class for a day.

And here you guys are trying to get people off the hook with sign bs.
FlyRod
I'm sympathetic to students, but I agree with shotcaller1. Just pay for a parking space...problem solved. It can't be much more expensive than getting towed...
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The people featured in the news story weren't students. They were an older couple who were eating at McDonald's when they saw their truck being lifted up.

The point is: A-1 is towing anybody they damn well please and don't feel any responsibility when they tow the wrong people using illegal signage.

If you are a student and you park in this lot to go to class, you are a moron. They are not the only ones being towed is the problem.
originaltexan
If signage is illegal, here is a good lead for an investigative story. Legal signage is required for many things in order for the act to be lawful.

If the laws are being followed, then there is no story.

***THIS COULD BE APPLIED FOR ANY ESTABLISHMENT***
w8liftr
Originaltexan- unfortunately, TDLR visited the site on camera and determined the signs were, in fact, illegal.
O.G.
quote:
I'd be willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of students that rightfully get towed out of that area know they shouldn't have parked there unless they were visiting the establishment that the parking lot serves. Spotter or no spotter, you can't argue with the fact that it's wrong to park at McDonald's and go to class for a day.

And here you guys are trying to get people off the hook with sign bs.
Shotcaller-

It's clear you are fairly new(er) to this community. There have been similar tow truck problems in this community for quite sometime. It was discussed on this forum at length.

Yes, there are some offending students but there are a lot of locals and non-students being towed as well.

If the signs aren't legal, then the entire operation isn't legal. This also applies street signs, conceal carry laws etc.

The "spotter" may not be illegal, but it is shady and a bad business practice.
75AG
AG
[Getting around word filters will ALWAYS result in a ban. -Staff]
GoneGirl
AG
I can see why she didn't want to be identified on tv. Can you imagine talking to your friends and neighbors?

"Yeah, I sit on my ass in a parking lot, smoking cigarettes in my car all day."
shotcaller1
AG
Sawgunner,

My sentiments above only apply to students. You're correct in that I am fairly new to the area since I just arrived in 12 and will be departing this spring after graduation. If I were merely visiting McDonald's/whatever else is there and still got towed, I'd be rather upset as well.

It's clear to me that we viewed this story from two entirely different sides
OnlyForNow
AG
Is the a1 thread still alive? That was a good thread back in 07-10.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
quote:

Actually I thought those were both pretty good stories. Its local news being covered by a local news station. What, pray tell should they be covering if not that?

It's low-hanging fruit to pick on the local news content. If you want blood and guts, dial up Houston.
jja79
AG
Here in Houston we get a solid recap of what's trending on Twitter and Facebook. We don't have any news people here any more.
GoneGirl
AG
Hard Hitting News
ksp
quote:
Hard Hitting News
FlyRod
I've had two experiences with A-1, involving cars that needed to be towed to the shop. Each time Adam was involved, and he was right on time, fast, efficient, funny, and extremely polite. Each time they charged me less than what I was originally quoted.

I can't speak to the accusations and the lawsuits and all that...it is what it is (if it is). But I certainly did not find them to be "scum of the earth" in my two experiences. Quite the opposite in fact.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i actually found the story informative. if there's nothing major going on what else do you want KBTX to do? you want them to cover every arrest for a 20 yr old in possession of weed?
EMY92
AG
They've been towing illegally parked students out of that lot before said students were a gleam in their parent's eye.
O.G.
Was by there about 30 min ago. Spotter lady is back in her spot. Right by the McDonalds.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.