Bike lanes

3,325 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PS3D
w8liftr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why can't Bryan and College Station put bike lanes on the major thoroughfares (Texas Ave, University Dr, Harvey Rd, 29th St, etc)?
momtaxi
Because they don't want people to die?
91_Aggie
AG
Yeah. That would be bad
befitter
I'm a cyclist and there is no way even with bike lanes I'm riding on Texas Ave.
farmersfight
AG
Here's your sign
w8liftr
Adding bike lanes would make those streets safer and encourage fitness and wellness. Most cities have bike lanes on similarly busy roads.
dgonzo99
I have no problem with bike lanes as long as the people on bikes observe the stop signs and traffic lights. I can't tell you how many bikers just go through the lights and stop signs without stopping. Very dangerous.
dave99ag
AG
Most of those roads are TxDOT roads and they opted for no bike-lanes. Namely University and Texas. The outer lanes are actually wider than a normal lane to accommodate bike lanes. You're legally allowed to ride on those roads. As a cyclist, I sure don't as there are other options. CS has a pretty good bike lane system and Bryan has been doing a better job.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Adding bike lanes would make those streets safer and encourage fitness and wellness. Most cities have bike lanes on similarly busy roads.
yep, because once there is a law or a white lane designating that lane as bike lane, it's like there is a bubble of protection around it.

I know red light running is big topic here, but just the other day I was driving north on Texas at the harvey Road intersection. A Full 2 seconds after our light was green a car turned left from texas to harvey in front of us. Car right in front of me was starting from a complete stop and had to hit the breaks hard to avoid hitting it.

Seems like motorcycle cops could sit there all day and make their quota for the month within a day.

Mr. Griswold
quote:
Most of those roads are TxDOT roads and they opted for no bike-lanes. Namely University and Texas. The outer lanes are actually wider than a normal lane to accommodate bike lanes. You're legally allowed to ride on those roads.

IIRC, the city passed an ordinance a couple years ago prohibiting bike traffic on Texas.
w8liftr
quote:
quote:
Most of those roads are TxDOT roads and they opted for no bike-lanes. Namely University and Texas. The outer lanes are actually wider than a normal lane to accommodate bike lanes. You're legally allowed to ride on those roads.

IIRC, the city passed an ordinance a couple years ago prohibiting bike traffic on Texas.

Link?
AgFan1999
AG
There you go.
dave99ag
AG
I don't see anything currently banning bicycles on Texas or University. At one point earlier in the 2000s there were signs banning, but those have been removed. I can't speak for Bryan, but I am fairly certain there is no legal ban of bicycles anywhere in College Station.
Rexter
Bicycles should absolutely be able to be ridden on every single street/road in the country. As soon as each one is registered and insured. And follows applicable traffic laws.
AgFan1999
AG
Look under "History", dave - I didn't see anything in the article saying they'd started allowing it on the prohibited roads.
anonymousaggie
quote:
Bicycles should absolutely be able to be ridden on every single street/road in the country. As soon as each one is registered and
insured. And follows applicable traffic laws.

That seems like a difficult law to enforce. Should all of the bikes belonging to elementary school children be registered and insured, do we need to take a test and get licensed to ride as well? At some point even children have to ride their bikes on a road.

Maybe if there was a gaurded bike lane, I could see a reason for bikers to have to pay for all of these things. But currently the bike lanes in this area are about a foot of slanted ditch, containing broken glass and rubble from the road...
AggiePhil
AG
In 2009, an ordinance was proposed to prohibit bicycle traffic on Texas Avenue but apparently council changed it to allow bike traffic due to the outside lanes being wide enough (15 ft.) to allow cars and bikes to theoretically travel side-by-side.
dave99ag
AG
That's what I thiught, Phil. The outer lanes are wide enough for bike lane striping, but they opted not to do that. To stripe or not to stripe has been a long discussion even in the bike community. I much prefer them, but some do not. Sharrows are the latest option and I think we have a few around here.
2YrOldAg
I have seen cars ignore stop signs, turn and run into cyclists multiple times (on small roads with explicit bike lanes and clear visibility), and also seen cyclists racing across intersections with red lights.

I wish we had more bike lanes (especially since many bike lanes simply end at intersections, with no safe lane to continue riding). But I wish even more, that people follow basic rules, and drive and ride safely and with more consideration. As a cyclist, I am always fearful of being in an accident (almost got into a few myself) because of how some people drive, and I also hate it when some cyclists give us all a bad reputation by being jerks.

CS/Bryan have a reasonable number of bike lanes but I think there should be many more given the population. I see no reason to not have bike lanes on Texas Ave and University Dr. Bad driving cannot be cited as a reason, and as w8liftr said, many cities have bike lanes on even bigger, busier roads.

Did anyone attend the recent public meeting held by the county for bike routes, that was on TAMU campus? I missed it, and am curious about what was discussed.
Brewmaster
AG
There are a lot of other ways to get somewhere or exercise on a bike without touching university or texas. I personally wouldn't want to breathe the diesel smoke or risk being hit by a texter, but to each their own.

I'm in Bryan, but if I had to go to campus on bike I'd probably take college or finfeather. I like to ride the country roads out of town (like past messina hoff) and the loop around miramont.
PS3D
A lot of the problem is access. Try getting from Holleman to 2818 along Wellborn by bike.
dfphotos
Isn't that what sidewalks are for?
PS3D
quote:
Isn't that what sidewalks are for?

Not even sidewalks, actually
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.