OPEN Carry law

11,168 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ursusguy
TheAlarmGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are your thoughts? Please...
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
EVA3
AG
Yes yes yes.
jmazz
AG
I think I'll still conceal carry even if/when it passes. Something about just putting it out there for all to see makes me think I'd need to keep my head on a swivel.
Muzzleblast
I love freedom and we should not ask to exercise a constitutional right.
Big supporter.
Jinx
Seeing adults who are not LEO's in a public setting with guns immediately makes me uneasy (I'm not talking rural settings). There are just too many idiots that own them.
cledus6150
AG
Won't change how I carry, but it will be nice to have the right to open carry if I would like to. Because in the end that is what it is all about, having the choice and the right to be able to carry a hangun in a way I see fit to.
Carnwellag2
no good can come from it
Baseball32
Won't change how I carry.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Seems to me the people leading the charge come across as the last type of person I would want to do so. I remember thinking in my CHL class that I wish we had peremptory strikes like voir dire for court. Some people are too damn stupid and shouldn't be carrying.

Edit it to add: on second thought, maybe having it pass wouldn't be such a bad idea. Until proven otherwise, I would identify you as an idiot in a very easy manner.
LOYAL AG
AG
Doubt I'd carry a loaded gun in the open. Seems that's a theft target by someone running by trying to snatch it off your hip. I might be willing to open carry an unloaded weapon with a loaded one concealed.
LOYAL AG
AG
But the law should pass. Criminals and politicians both prefer their victims unarmed. We really don't need either in Texas and laws like this will help keep them out.
rsa
AG
quote:
Some people are too damn stupid and shouldn't be carrying.
Amen!
techno-ag
AG
It needs to pass. It's legal in most other states.
txyaloo
AG
As long as Straus is Speaker of the House, an open carry bill will never make it out of committee.

That said, blood isn't running in the streets in other states that allow OC. No reason for TX to be more restrictive on gun rights than some more liberal states.
Bob2525
Not too sure this is a good idea for many different reasons (all concerning people with lack of knowledge and common sense). I would fully support relaxing the law for accidental exposure of concealed carry. Its a little hot in the summer to always be wearing a trench coat...
MadDog73
AG
quote:
Not too sure this is a good idea for many different reasons (all concerning people with lack of knowledge and common sense). I would fully support relaxing the law for accidental exposure of concealed carry. Its a little hot in the summer to always be wearing a trench coat...
I agree with both of these points.

And I want to have ability to conceal carry on college campus.
EMY92
AG
quote:
Does it cover sniper rifles? American Sniper has me pumped to serve as Overwatch in case they bring the fight here.
They're talking about pistols.

You can already carry a long gun most anywhere you want. So pick out your spot to serve as overwatch.
Stucco
Big supporter.

Businesses could still post a sign prohibiting carry on their property.
This doesn't change anything about where guns can be carried, so bars, etc are still off limits.

Hard to imagine why people are against this. Criminals conceal weapons. They don't wear them openly. In fact the whole thing seems backwards to me. I would think if you were going to carry it should have to be visible.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
quote:
I agree with both of these points.

And I want to have ability to conceal carry on college campus.

Campus Carry is already out of committee in the Senate and has the numbers to pass. The work will now be to get it passed in the House. Contact your State Rep
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
Does it cover sniper rifles? American Sniper has me pumped to serve as Overwatch in case they bring the fight here.
They're talking about pistols.

You can already carry a long gun most anywhere you want. So pick out your spot to serve as overwatch.
Watch out terrorists, Legend Jr. on duty (picture me as Bradley Cooper, that's what I'm doing)
FlyRod
While driving through Bastrop, I saw a sign on 21 saying "ISIS is coming...are you ready?"

That's just down the road from us!!!!
duffelpud
AG
I'm fine with it. I actually think it will keep the crazies more under control.
O.G.
Will still carry concealed 99% of the time. However, if I have to run to the store or a quick errand, it might be
nice not to have to worry about my tee shirt covering my handgun.

The main issue I have with "open carry" is/were all the Jackwaggons that were strapping AK-47s and ARs to their chest and walking into Starbucks/Target etc, and scaring the hell out of people. Then these guys want to act like they are the second coming of the Sons of Liberty when a cop actually shows up and asks them about it.

Yes, i know it's Legal to do that in Texas, that doesn't make it a smart idea. Carrying a firearm is a responsibility that has to be thought through, just as much as it is a right.
FlyRod
quote:
Carrying a firearm is a responsibility that has to be thought through, just as much as it is a right.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
Will still carry concealed 99% of the time. However, if I have to run to the store or a quick errand, it might be
nice not to have to worry about my tee shirt covering my handgun.

The main issue I have with "open carry" is/were all the Jackwaggons that were strapping AK-47s and ARs to their chest and walking into Starbucks/Target etc, and scaring the hell out of people. Then these guys want to act like they are the second coming of the Sons of Liberty when a cop actually shows up and asks them about it.

Yes, i know it's Legal to do that in Texas, that doesn't make it a smart idea. Carrying a firearm is a responsibility that has to be thought through, just as much as it is a right.

Well said.
BlazeHarper
Have to agree with SAWGunner and ditto....well said.
momlaw
AG
quote:
TheAlarmGuy
quote:
I'm fine with it. I actually think it will keep the crazies more under control.
or it will bring the crazies to challenge you more,
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
O.G.
Thank you for the kind words.

Not to toot my own horn, but I have a fairly extensive background in firearms.

I should also say that I do not believe that "open carry" will keep the crazy people away or stop crime.

There is a reason that cops don't open carry when not in uniform. I don't care how trained up you are, anyone can be sucker punched. When a cop is in uniform, they are in "cop mode", doing their job etc. Everyone sees it and knows, "that is a cop he has a gun" etc. When they are off duty, they don't keep carrying openly. There are reasons for that. There is no reason to tip off a criminal.

When John Q. Public is out at the grocery store, they are watching their kids, buying milk etc and
typically not paying attention to what is going on around them. If they are carrying a gun odds are they are not as trained up as they think they are. I know this stings some egos, but I've been an instructor
and been to the range too many times. Some folks buy/carry a gun and think that is all they need. It's
not, they need training, and shooting paper at an indoor/air conditioned range isn't training, it's
practice, not the same thing.

I hear a lot of guys say, "I'm an ex-fillintheblank", or I have "tactical training". Most of them do not.

Chris Kyle, as many of you may have seen in the movie or read the book, had more training than everyone on this board combined, and he was sucker punched by someone with a gun. You can be too. So can the idiot carrying the AK in Starbucks. Honestly, it could happen quite easily.

IF you are going to carry openly. Dress appropriately please:
Dockers (or at least clean/nice shorts) and a Polo shirt = Yes.
Cammo pants and a black "death before dishonor" tee shirt =Not so much.
Stupe
S
quote:
Some people are too damn stupid and shouldn't be carrying.
Completely agree.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Businesses could still post a sign prohibiting carry on their property.
The biggest problem with this is the Legislature has talked about tying it in with 30.06 which would bring 30.06 to a much larger audience. I think it'll negatively impact people to concealed carry if that does happen.
Stupe
S
quote:
But the law should pass. Criminals and politicians both prefer their victims unarmed.
However, I more strongly agree with this. The fact is that the politicians that want us unarmed don't have the common sense to see that thugs agree with them.
Stucco
People are pretty upset at Dan Patrick today.
Stupe
S
As they should be.
cz308
100% for it. If I'm in public around others who are open carrying, I know who the criminal will go after first
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.