How do we get a traffic light installed (Barron and Alexandria)

10,049 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by PS3D
Gigemaggies123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
if you have to turn left in the morning at the intersection of Barron and Alexandria, sometimes you could wait up to 7 minutes... which politician do i need to politely but firmly email to get a light installed
Frisco
AG
this should be fun from all the anti-light crowd. i dont mind the 7 minutes. It's the fact that you can't see 50 yards up the hill and people are flying on that road. That intersection is pretty busy in all directions. I've found you just need to leave by 730am or wait until 815am.
91_Aggie
AG
If they ever complete the connection from Southern Plantation to Victoria, the problem will be solved with out a stop light there. People south of Barron could just hit that path and use the stop light at Victoria and Barron.

If you are North of Barron, then just use Eagle.
O.G.
I am normally anti-Red light, but the OP has a point about that intersection.

Now that CSHS has Juniors and Seniors that drive, the traffic has picked up quite a bit on Barron,
it does make it tough to make a left turn.

We have our high schooler go the "backway" down William D. Fitch but I'm not sure that's
any better.
Gigemaggies123
i live off of alexandria and there are 4 realistic exits from my house to high way 6.

I can take the left turn on to barron with all the people coming every different way including people going straight north bound on alexandria

i can take newport but its pretty much the same thing and its further away from the highway

i can take newport to eagle which i have to round back through the school zone and aint nobody got time for that

or i can take alexandria to eagle all the way down across longmire then on to the bypass and pull a u to go north on highway 6, long as well

i don't want to wake up earlier cuz i'm lazy, but also because that left turn is damn near impossible to make especially when it rains. God made traffic lights for a reason, let use them. Or at least a 4 way stop
dgonzo99
Start a petition. We did that several years ago to get a turn signal on Villa Maria. Surprisingly, they installed the turn signal a few weeks later. No problem at all. Or call someone on the City Council.
PS3D
Convince the city to fast-track extending Southern Plantation to Victoria.
beefly95
No. Take one of the other three routes you mentioned. I live there too and do just fine. Plan ahead. No more red lights on Barron please.
Rexter
Good luck with that. We (the HOA) asked for a stop sign at Decatur and Southern Plantation. We were told there would have to be a traffic study with an average of 300 cars per hour for 8 hours to qualify for a sign. Never mind the fact that I have someone pull out in front of me at least once a week. They assume that it is a 4 way stop.

I hope that the city never connects Southern Plantation and Victoria. People speed down the street constantly already. The higher traffic count will
most likely increase that. The HOA asked for a lower speed limit but we were told a study would be done and the limit set at the 85% level, so the limit may actually increase. Pass on that. No speed humps either due to busses and emergency vehicles. The street is designated as a minor collector which should have no driveways on it, but we are one of 5 homes on the street that have driveways not in an alley. We were basically told too bad... someone screwed up a long time ago and nothing can be done to alleviate the issue.
birdman
If there is a bad wreck at that intersection, they'll put a light there. Until then, you're on your own.
Gigemaggies123
Idk about bad but I believe there's been at least 2 or 3 wrecks already this past year and that's just the ones I've see
Carnwellag2
so you want a light on a HWY bypass???

Good Grief
Stupe
S
The Baron and Alexandria intersection isn't on the bypass. There aren't any intersections on Hwy 6 in Brazos county, only overpasses and underpasses.
Stucco
Please don't ask for lights when there are alternate routes available. The reason CS traffic is so bad is because of inappropriate signal usage. You will probably wait longer for a light to cycle than it would take to go the alternate route.

Google Maps

If it helps you cope, just pretend there is a median there and you aren't allowed to turn left.
NashMan
It can get crowded at rush hour - but the rest of the day, the light would be a pain. I hope they do not put one there, When I am turning off of Fitch and going down Barron towards Hwy 6, that light by the high school ALWAYS turns red before I get to it... Even when there are no cars on the cross street sometimes.
atxaggie07
AG
I live off Alexandria, south of Barron and have to turn left (toward CSHS) in the morning. There is a very finite window in which to leave early in the morning. Leave a little before, no problem. Leave a little after, no problem. Leave in the middle of the window...have fun.
doubledog
You can have the stop light at Texas Ave & Manuel Dr. For that matter take the one at Brentwood and Texas too!

OlAg2001
I have to turn left from Newport onto Barron every morning. There are so many people who come out of Reatta Meadows and do a U-turn, it's hard to know if it's ok to go. I actually saw a truck stop on Barron this morning because he miscalulated how much room he would need and couldn't complete his U-turn because of our line of cars on Newport waiting to go.
Gigemaggies123
This is just silly to me. There is a perfectly good solution for an issue but people want to use alternative work arounds that are simply not as effective.

Thats like saying "what do you need an automatic garage door opener for? just get out of your car, open it get back in your car, drive in and close it again, it only takes a few extra minutes... quit being lazy"
Sure that solution works, but why???

In your scenario you're suggesting I more than double that portion of my commute cuz you don't want to maybe get caught at a red light? Why don't we just get rid of all of the red lights in this town and everybody take alternative routes and/or get up earlier lol.

Allow me to present one more reason why taking a different route is ridiculous...

(black route goes through school zone and left turn onto victoria which i imagine is probably pretty bad as well)

MsC2012
AG
Decatur and Barron is terrible in the mornings. I've seen the line back up to Kernstown for those turning right.
91_Aggie
AG
I offer up perfectly acceptable solution for the OP and staff deletes it. Apparently staff wants a stop light there.
Stucco
quote:
Thats like saying "what do you need an automatic garage door opener for? just get out of your car, open it get
back in your car, drive in and close it again, it only takes a few extra
minutes... quit being lazy"
Sure that solution works, but why???

It is nothing like that. A garage door opener only affects you. A traffic light affects everyone that ever drives through that intersection.

The light would slow down the majority of traffic. Think about the problem in terms of total minutes spent in a car for all drivers across the entire city. Adding a light increases that number because it slows down a good portion of the people traveling Barron for 30-60 seconds. This is obviously a large number of people if it takes 7 minutes to turn left. Alternatively, taking the most-efficient route reduces the number immediately, without any cost and without any offsetting increase of the number due to a light. Each light doesn't make a huge difference on its own, but all together they result in it taking 15 minutes to travel 3.5 miles east-west across CS.
Stucco
quote:
I offer up perfectly acceptable solution for the OP and staff deletes it. Apparently staff wants a stop light there.

My original post was also deleted.
91_Aggie
AG
FYI:

It has been shown that if the OP really wants a solution, there is a simple one that adds .7 miles to his route and at most 1 minute to his route to get to Hwy 6.

The alternate route has him stop at 3 stop signs (
1) Alexandria/Eagle, right turn at stop sign
2) Longmire/Eagle, straight across stop sign
3) Eagle/Hwy 6, right turn on to access then gets to use the Turnaround under Hwy 6

The proposed solution would have this:
1) Stop light at Barron/Alexandria (left turn, probably adding 2-3 minutes to commute waiting for left-arrow green)
2) Stop sign at Barron/hwy 6 access (straight across)
3) Stop sign at Barron/hwy 6 access (left turn)

The simple solution only inconveniences a small minority of residents and that inconvenience is only during 7am-9am and maybe two hours in the afternoon. And the inconvenience adds about half a mile to OP's route (assuming worst case scenario of living on the far south end of Alexandria near Barron) and at most 1 minute to drive time.

The complex solution, only offers a savings of that half-mile, as the time savings would be lost with a red light trying to turn left, and then inconveniences many more people all day long.
Gigemaggies123
refer to my picture... i clear point out that its ridiculous to expect people to do one giant loop around just to get across the street
91_Aggie
AG
And I will say that that is a strawman that has no bearing for real life.

What you are saying is:
"I want a stop light for the the people that have to cross Barron from one residential to another residential area because between the hours of 7am-9am and 4pm-6pm it can take 7 minutes to cross that road."

How many people are really driving between those two suburbs?

"Well, it could happen, therefore we need to make sure those 1 or 2 people can do it in a timely manner when traffic is at its busiest"

That's the argument you are presenting.
Gigemaggies123
quote:

What you are saying is:
"I want a stop light for the the people that have to cross Barron from one residential to another residential area because between the hours of 7am-9am and 4pm-6pm it can take 7 minutes to cross that road."

"Well, it could happen, therefore we need to make sure those 1 or 2 people can do it in a timely manner when traffic is at its busiest"

disagree, not sure how familiar with the area but theres usually always at least 5 cars on the north side of barron on alexandria waiting to turn left or to go straight

and if people are worried about non peak hours can they just change it to the flashing yellow yield when not at peak hours
jskin261
Flashing lights are very bright at night for the people that live on those 4 corners.
NashMan
Its been years since I have seen regular red lights turn to flashing at night. They don't seem to do it anymore around here - at least not that I have seen lately.

No light please
Baseball32
I think we need to have a light at every intersection in town. That would solve everyone's problems. Then the drive times to get around town would be much longer( aka similar to driving down FM 1960 in Houston) lol. If we don't put a stop light at every intersection I move we raise taxes to have a police officer at every intersection in town to direct traffic 24-7-365. No hold it. I have one even better idea! How about we get the city to install Roundabouts at each intersection ,but each one has a pool of some sort and put sharks with freaking laser beams on their heads to shoot traffic violators.
Stucco
quote:
quote:

What you are saying is:

disagree, not sure how familiar with the area but theres usually always at least 5 cars on the north side of barron on alexandria waiting to turn left or to go straight

and if people are worried about non peak hours can they just change it to the flashing yellow yield when not at peak hours
You want to stop the majority of traffic during the busiest period so you and a few others can go to a neighbor's house?

I feel the same way about this as I do speed bumps. The guy that requests a speed bump should have to also have an identical speed bump installed in his driveway.
Stucco
quote:
Its been years since I have seen regular red lights turn to flashing at night. They don't seem to do it anymore around here - at least not that I have seen lately.
We need more of these. Who would we talk to to get some lights changed to flashing during certain hours?
Goat Man
AG
It is interesting to read how strongly people feel about this issue. Count me in the no light crowd but with less vehemence.
rhoswen
AG
quote:
Flashing lights are very bright at night for the people that live on those 4 corners.

As opposed to non-blinking lights?
dachsie
I mentioned this would be a problem to a city council member BEFORE the high school opened. I suggested a 4 way stop. He had the road planner email me so I told him my concerns and the email response I got back was that stop signs are not used to control the flow of traffic. SAY WHAT??? I gave up.

But now that its a reality, I would sign a petition for a stop sign or light to go up. People fly down Barron to get to Hwy 6.

Maybe we can get TLIAC to get the CSPD to put a bike cop there monitoring speeds for a week or two
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.