The Local

7,982 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by FlyRod
theycallmemrtibbs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here we go again...

Yay, another bad restaurant review of a place that just opened. I want to start out by saying I told the owner what a horrible experience I had at the end of my visit and I didn't tell her unsolicited, she asked how everything was. When I proceeded to tell her about it the widest ****-eating grin came across her face, she smiled and nodded the whole time I was talking and then said 'ok' when I was done. And that's how it ended. Nothing else, I turned and walked out, never to return again.

And actually, I probably would have given the place another shot had she not been so incredibly smug.

First off, the food is not bad. It's actually pretty good, which is the unfortunate part for me since I won't be going back. There were two of us in my party, one had the beef tips special and one had the BLT with chips. We also had the fried pickles. Everything was really tasty. Once we got it.

It took over 45 minutes to be served these two plates of food that, realistically, should take about 5 minutes to put together, given that everything should already be made and prepped in the kitchen. We received no plates for our appetizers, had to use our napkins and then got no replacement napkins for our meal. Our beverages arrived full when we sat down and then were never filled again for the over hour and half we were there. Our waitress was MIA most of the time and when something was requested it was simply forgotten or took forever. The only waitress to check in on us and ask how everything was going during the meal was a new lady who said she started today. She was friendly and eager and a stark contrast to the waitress we had, who seemed like she couldn't have cared less if we were there.

Towards the end, the lunch hour has loomed well over an hour and well, I have a job and it's a funny thing, but they expect my lunch to only take an hour. I had to flag down another waitress for my check, and then waited more, check came back, credit card went out and then we waited even more. Finally, I walked up to the bar where my card and check and waiting. Everyone behind the bar is like a chicken with their heads cut off. My waitress walks by and says something along the lines of 'i was getting your check' in a snarky kind of way, I just ignored her at that point. While my check is being paid the owner asks how everything was. I told her. Even told her the food was great but the service needs serious help. And her smug grin and flippant 'ok' response was the nail in the coffin.

I wasn't even going to say anything, I was just going to let this one be and move on with my life. Then I looked at Yelp. Looks like I wasn't the only one unhappy with lunch last Friday. The owner, same one I spoke with, commented on one of the reviews with the normal excuses and even seemed to throw the new server under the bus (the only server I saw who actually looked like she was busting her ass to keep people happy, despite whatever debacle was going on in the kitchen and the only one who asked us how things were during our meal). Owner mentioned she takes pride in her business, but she sure didn't give a crap about the experience I had in her establishment.
Raven
S
I have now had lunch there three times....food has always been good, and twice I sat at the bar and got immediate attention and service...I will say that once the prep time seemed rather long, but because the food was so good, I soon got over it....since I work downtown, the local is a nice addition to the downtown eating rotation....
Max06
AG
quote:
I want to start out by saying I told the owner what a horrible experience I had at the end of my visit and I didn't tell her unsolicited, she asked how everything was. When I proceeded to tell her about it the widest ****-eating grin came across her face, she smiled and nodded the whole time I was talking and then said 'ok' when I was done. And that's how it ended.
Unfortunately, this sounds like someone that just doesn't know how to accept constructive criticism. I'm not justifying it, but there are some people that just don't know "how" to respond so they just smile and nod.

I considered trying this place last week but after looking at their menu was concerned about the wide variety of foods, which usually (not always) means that they do none of them particularly well.
ksp
So what restaurant is this? Need to try it out soon.
FlyRod
Its where Taz was, and before that, Good Time Charlie's in downtown Bryan, Main St. I ate there shortly after they opened, had a burger, and it was great.
justalocal
Had never heard of it prior to this thread. I guess that other restaurant that was there after GTC did not make it.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I have now had lunch there three times....food has always been good, and twice I sat at the bar and got immediate attention and service...I will say that once the prep time seemed rather long, but because the food was so good, I soon got over it....since I work downtown, the local is a nice addition to the downtown eating rotation....

Sounds great! I'll have to try it.
halibut sinclair
isitjustme
AG
We had an experience approaching the type Mr. Tibbs had, only a little less wait time for the food though one order did come out well after the rest. Also, the manager didn't ask us but the server knew she and the kitchen messed up.

However, we will definitely be going back in a few weeks and hope their service issues are solved. The food was just that good. And it was priced nicely with decent portions as well.
quirkyaggie
AG
We had a positive experience. We went the first week they were open, so we made allowances in our schedule for slower than normal service. The catfish is excellent.
FlyRod
I've been once, and service was slow but friendly. I liked the place...they have a nice line up of good Texas craft beers and wines, ad the burger I had was good. I hope they make it as it seems like it has potential to indeed be a "local" for folks.
Rex Racer
AG
So it's where Los Nortenos used to be?
isitjustme
AG
quote:

Right next door: Dos Hermanos, Papa Perez first location, Good Time Charleys, Country Boy Cafe, Taz downtown, and now The Local - its current incarnation.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
Same thing here, very long wait time at dinner. Watched three different parties walk into the door, not be greeted for a few minutes, and wandered back out. Getting the check was like pulling teeth. Our waitress disappeared shortly after she took our order and never really returned - we think she may have stepped into the kitchen to help cook.

The foot was good, but if dinner takes nearly two hours, there better be multiple courses.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
So Taz second location did not last long?
FlyRod
Just a few months. I talked with the owner and she said they just over-extended themselves and found it difficult to manage both places. It was good when it lasted.
Roc96
AG
quote:

I so miss Los - roaches, peeling lead ceiling paint, and all. If there were a place like it , I'd frequent it.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:

I so miss Los - roaches, peeling lead ceiling paint, and all. If there were a place like it , I'd frequent it.
+ Infinity

I know unequivocally that the Brazos Valley will never again be on the par that was Los Nortenos in terms of Tacos the size of your head and amazingness of atmosphere and laid back management and matchbooks at far as the eye can see and cheese out of this world and salsa that can never be duplicated.

You can take my selection of local dreams away from me. But you can never take my memories. Let us reflect on the good times in this one tiny post which may or not be deleted anyway, in this grand pond of BCS commentary:

Where I will be buried:

Max06
AG
I'd be ashamed to name the price I'd pay for migas tacos from LosNorts. They will live in infamy.
summergal
I went at lunch the second week they were open. Sat down at 12:20 left at 2. By the way there were only two of us. That's how slow things were. The owner did make an apperance at our table, I felt sorry for the larger group, seated next to us, their wait time for meals was unreasonable. I had the Hamburger steak with mushroom gravy. The plate was covered in this watery gravy that only had about 4 mushrooms(chopped) and the meat patty was so dry and scorched on the bottom I had a hard time cutting it even with the steak knife. It was also WAY to salty. Two sides come with this and if you want one of your sides to be fries, beware they will charge you $3 + dollars for said fries.

Nope not going back...way too many problems.
justalocal
We went there today for lunch and it took about an hour from ordering, eat, pay, to leaving. We would go back.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
We went there today for lunch and it took about an hour from ordering, eat, pay, to leaving. We would go back.

Well, the place is in your user name.
justalocal
quote:
quote:

I should sue since I had it first.
dgonzo99
quote:
quote:
quote:

I should sue since I had it first.
Or at least a free meal or two!
Thisguy1
We went a couple weeks ago with a party of about 12. Food was pretty good, but we were there for about an hour and 45 minutes from sit down until we paid. When we needed something we had to flag someone down, and they weren't very busy. We got appetizers and desserts for a time reference, but the main food took around 45 minutes from when we ordered it. Some good friends of ours came in as well and told me he got charged extra for sides that were supposed to come with his "chicken breast that was about the size of a dove breast." The people next to us ended up getting up and leaving, and some others close had their food brought out for one, but they waited until then to tell the other that they didn't have any more of what she ordered, so she ended up having to order something new and wait even longer. We had to ask for nearly everything, and tell them when we wanted to order appetizers, the main food, desserts, and that we needed a check.

We told the lady who seemed to be in charge about our experience and how the food was great, but it just took way too long. She said she's getting a bigger wait staff soon, but they only had one cook.

I'm not sure we'll be back.
motherrunnersBCS
Just wanted to say that I went to The Local for lunch today with some trepidation but other people wanted to try it. I do not have a lot of time for lunch. BUT the food was so good that I had to put in a good word for them. The wait was not short, but it was not so long that I had a problem with it. There were two people working in the kitchen. The food is obviously made when you order it - my sandwich was so hot I scalded my tongue. It is not fast food - everything, including the potato chips were handmade. I would not have been able to get a meal out any faster myself in my own kiitchen.

Everything we tried was delicious. Fish especially was cooked perfectly. Wraps were well made. Homemade potato chips were a treat, and not too salty. The slaw with apple was good and refreshing. Tea was not sweet - you have to add your own sugar. I want to go back on the day that they have Cajun food and I want to try the sweet potato pie. Prices were good and the portions were enormous. Nice beer list that I would try if it had not been the middle of the work day. If you want some delicious "homecooking" - try it, but you have to have a lunch hour, not a lunch half hour.
originaltexan
Too much for me to read since I am hurried along...

In general, here is out it works

bad service or food = no tip = good waiters leaving = bad waiters being hired = no tips = short staff = cut portions and quality = closed on Sunday and Monday = closed forever

restaurant business is brutal and tough...you either have to be very good, very lucky, or have deep pockets
FlyRod
Its especially hard on the local places. People seem far less forgiving of mishaps at them then they do at the chains...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.