TAMU IT outsourcing to Cisco

3,046 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggieJason
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wtaw story

Don't know details, but my sense/hope is that we could have done worse.
TARDIS
AG
Per the emails floating around the University:

The Eagle missed a very important conjunction.

The System's announcement says "Chancellor John Sharp today announced a five-year agreement with Cisco to provide IT with support services solutions for The Texas A&M University System that will result in more than $3.7 million in savings over the length of the contract."

The Eagle wrote "Texas A&M University Chancellor John Sharp announced Friday that Cisco, a California-based networking equipment company, will provide IT and support services for the system over the next five years."

That conjunction was a bit important. Misreading it cause the Eagle reporter Sam Peshek to write the headline "Texas A&M System outsources IT, support services to Cisco" which was not what the Chancellor said.
Carnwellag2
Yes when I first read the Eagles report around 1:30 today- Sam had reported that IT had been outsourced. He has since corrected it
techno-ag
AG
quote:
wtaw story

Don't know details, but my sense/hope is that we could have done worse.

Sounds like a good thing.
crappydad
Sounds like a consolidated Smart-net contract for updates, tech support and patches. These have simply been managed by each group are is now one big contract. Saving $ for sure by economies of scale.
Post removed:
by user
AggieJason
AG
They screwed up the reporting. TAMU IT contacted them to straighten out the details.

Basically, Cisco has a partner through which they provide network-related IT solutions. They only people this *may* affect is NIS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.