Driver Education for Teen

5,961 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Birddog
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any recommendations? Did you use the school, parent-taught, driver school?
ksp
I did parent taught, super easy, just keep a detailed log of hours. You just need the time to do. 40-50 hrs of combined time behind the wheel with kid from night , to day, to parking lot only drive time.
ooshwa
Staff
AG
I did parent-taught along with http://idrivesafely.com with my first, and I am now working on it with my second. All fairly straight-forward and easy enough.

My tip: I told my boys I would only drive with them as convenient, so it forced them to plan out driving time over many months and not procrastinate. Otherwise, I've heard other parents complain of it really becoming a chore for them as they try to cram in a lot of hours in a short time.
Oogway
Thank you very much!
csnole
I did parent taught and will not do it again. Too confusing with the paperwork, and schedule. I did it over a very long period of time which may have been the problem because I think they did an update and I had so much paperwork and the DMV didn't even ask to see most of it. All I know is 2 &3 will be taking a course.
drivinwest
AG
We did parent-taught driving and Austin Driving School for the course work. If you go the parent-taught route, be sure you have the proper forms in order before the driving test. There is a certain one you have to use to log the hours.

Also, avoid our local DMV at all costs. They are awful. I recommend Groesbeck, Brenham or Huntsville. Or even one of the super centers in Austin or Houston.
Mathguy64
AG
Did the parent taught version. It was easy. The boy watched the modules and took all the online tests. All of the scoring records and documentation printed right out. Yes you theoretically have to document the time behind the wheel but I will wager that 90% of us who went this route didn't keep track of it and just made stuff up.
Tradishun
I guess the advice I'd give would depend on what kind of relationship you have with your child.

I didn't grow up in Texas, and when I moved here and heard of the "parent taught" method, I found it to be laughable. To be clear, I'm sure that, for some families, it works just great. My suspicion, and it's only that, is that it works badly for most families, and because we all share the roads, it doesn't work out well for Texans in general. (I've lived all over America, and in my unscientific observations, we have the worst drivers I've ever seen here in Texas. Why? Perhaps, in part, it's because a lot of Texans "learn" to drive from their parents.)

Consider a couple things:

1. When the average 15 year old needs to learn something, it is often (but not always) the case that the two last people on earth that they would want to listen to for wisdom and guidance are Mom and Dad.

2. I personally know a substantial number of people who did the parent taught method solely for convenience -- it's a pain to drive your kid to Austin's Driving School, etc. And many of those people said that they didn't actually do all of the work; they just filled out the paperwork and signed it.

3. Do you really think you're qualified to teach your kid to drive? What makes you say that? Just because you're (presumably) a decent driver doesn't mean that you're the best-equipped person to teach your child to drive. (Just because you might be able to hit a golf ball 250 yards doesn't make you a qualified golf teacher, does it?) And the stakes here are high. Accidents can be deadly. Do you really want to teach your child to be safe with a car? Personally, I'm more comfortable leaving it to someone with training.

In short, good intentions don't always accomplish the ultimate goal, which is to ensure that your child can drive safely, both for his or her sake, and for everyone else's sake.

As I said, I'm sure that the parent method works just fine for some people. But I don't think it's a good idea overall. Just my .02.

[edited for clarity]
ksp
quote:
Did the parent taught version. It was easy. The boy watched the modules and took all the online tests. All of the scoring records and documentation printed right out. Yes you theoretically have to document the time behind the wheel but I will wager that 90% of us who went this route didn't keep track of it and just made stuff up.
Not me!! Mine was 100% legit!
techno-ag
AG
quote:
(I've lived all over America, and in my unscientific observations, we have the worst drivers I've ever seen here in Texas.

In my unscientific observations, drivers in Los Angeles are the worse.
Oogway
Thanks again for the input, everyone. Driver safety is my concern, not just for his sake, but also for everyone in the community . I think the written test to acquire the permit would not be a problem for him, but I want to make sure that the behind-the-wheel training is comprehensive. I like to think I am competent enough, but then again, rationalizing competency is human nature with most skills that we perform.

Edit to add--why do you say to avoid the local DPS office? It is a lot closer than Huntsville. Is it the customer service aspect? Is the test not rigorous enough?
FlyRod
OP check out Austin Driving School in the same shopping center as Village Foods in Bryan. Driving schools > parent taught method. Good luck.
FlyRod
quote:
In my unscientific observations, drivers in Los Angeles are the worse.

In my unscientific observation, your over-use of the smug and imperious TTTH emoticon is the worst.
ksp
quote:
I guess the advice I'd give would depend on what kind of relationship you have with your child.

I didn't grow up in Texas, and when I moved here and heard of the "parent taught" method, I found it to be laughable. To be clear, I'm sure that, for some families, it works just great. My suspicion, and it's only that, is that it works badly for most families, and because we all share the roads, it doesn't work out well for Texans in general. (I've lived all over America, and in my unscientific observations, we have the worst drivers I've ever seen here in Texas. Why? Perhaps, in part, it's because a lot of Texans "learn" to drive from their parents.)

Consider a couple things:

1. When the average 15 year old needs to learn something, it is often (but not always) the case that the two last people on earth that they would want to listen to for wisdom and guidance are Mom and Dad.

2. I personally know a substantial number of people who did the parent taught method solely for convenience -- it's a pain to drive your kid to Austin's Driving School, etc. And many of those people said that they didn't actually do all of the work; they just filled out the paperwork and signed it.

3. Do you really think you're qualified to teach your kid to drive? What makes you say that? Just because you're (presumably) a decent driver doesn't mean that you're the best-equipped person to teach your child to drive. (Just because you might be able to hit a golf ball 250 yards doesn't make you a qualified golf teacher, does it?) And the stakes here are high. Accidents can be deadly. Do you really want to teach your child to be safe with a car? Personally, I'm more comfortable leaving it to someone with training.

In short, good intentions don't always accomplish the ultimate goal, which is to ensure that your child can drive safely, both for his or her sake, and for everyone else's sake.

As I said, I'm sure that the parent method works just fine for some people. But I don't think it's a good idea overall. Just my .02.

[edited for clarity]

My son scored a 98 first try. zero accidents or tickets in first two years. Geez if we went by your 3 choice, nobody would ever be parents. Lack of confidence in one own driving ability would lead to option number 3.

I don't want somebody else teaching my kids to drive, nor about the birds and the bees, nor telling me how to raise my kids, or telling them what to eat, etc etc etc.

To each their own, but you raise and teach your child just about everything they know, except something that is possibly life or death if not trained correctly. I'll leave that option to me.

ad promise self taught is a whole lot more of a pain in the rear than taking your kid to school and dropping off and picking up.

I guess number is 1 is on how close you are to your kids.
ksp
quote:
Thanks again for the input, everyone. Driver safety is my concern, not just for his sake, but also for everyone in the community . I think the written test to acquire the permit would not be a problem for him, but I want to make sure that the behind-the-wheel training is comprehensive. I like to think I am competent enough, but then again, rationalizing competency is human nature with most skills that we perform.

Edit to add--why do you say to avoid the local DPS office? It is a lot closer than Huntsville. Is it the customer service aspect? Is the test not rigorous enough?
Me and my son were out of there in less than an hr, but some apparently get locked in a closet after being flogged locally and drive else where. Enough people saying this that I think it is true at times but not in all cases.
Ratsa
My son did drivers ed at Austin Driving School this past summer. ADS offers both classroom instruction and in car instruction (7 hours behind the wheel & 7 hours observation). Regardless of whether you do parent-taught or school-taught, the parent will be the primary teacher in the car. Texas now requires the parent to document a minimum of 30 hours of driving time outside of the 7 hours the teen does with the driving school.

The thing that I liked about ADS was that there was someone else telling my son the same things that I was telling him. I think hearing it from someone else besides mom gave it more weight in my son's mind. They also had one class with a guest speaker whose son had been killed by a drunk driver. The guest speaker had way more of an impact on my son than I ever could have. I am so sorry for what she went through, but extremely grateful for her sharing her story with beginning drivers.

Whichever route you choose, my suggestion is start early to give your child as much driving time with you as possible. Good luck!
motherrunnersBCS
Parents taught first born, younger two still too young. We used online school, supplemented by the book "Crash Proof Your Kids". Highly recommend the book. After parents read it and taught from it, gave it to teen to read as well, because hearing it one more time in another format was helpful. Texas does not require enough on road time before testing, IMO, 50 hours is about half what other states require. So we did extra. Spent a lot extra time in rain and dark. Also, spent a lot of time insisting against phone use while driving.

I wish there was a place where kids (and adults) could safely try to text and drive and see how dangerous it is to other drivers, as well as themselves. Everyone thinks THEY can do it, the problem is the other guy.
Birddog
AG
quote:

This....

I have done Austin DS and self taught with my two sons.

Both went great with the each boy. My Austin DS son would never ever sit still and have patience for a self paced program. The self taught was great, just stay organized and do all the paperwork.
ksp
My kids have driven around on our land since they were 12 and a good leg up by the time they turn 15, as far as pedal and braking go. Agree start practicing as soon as they turn 15 and get them acclimated.
drivinwest
AG
Both customer service and the test was overly-picky, IMHO. My son failed on what I would consider a minor infraction--just one, not several. We went to Groesbeck and he passed easily. And for the record, he's been driving for a year without a ticket or crash and I think he's an excellent driver. I've heard they have a reputation for failing teen drivers. Not sure if others have had the same experience, but I thought they were a miserable place to work with.
gigem1215
AG
We did parent taught with my 17 year old. We plan to have my younger old take it at the high school. The parent taught was okay except for the logging of the driving. In my opinion, it was a little overwhelming to keep all the time logged properly. If we took a long trip, it was much easier, but for short drives to the store, school or around own, logging was a little cumbersome. Apparently some rules have changed though. We have a friend who's child took it later than mine and they went to DPS to get the license and were told the parents were supposed to complete a parent section. So, be aware of this. We didn't have to do this when my child did hers program.
We did parent taught. Son was involved in lots of extracurricular activities so it was easiest to work parent taught into our schedule. We did lots of road trips so it only took a couple of trips to Houston or Dallas and we had plenty of hours to log.

As for the test, we scheduled one well in advance at the Bryan location and decided that if he failed we would then go to Brenham or other place for test. The Bryan DPS test was overly picky, IMO. We talked to another driver who had just failed the test in Bryan and got the tips he needed. It is stupid stuff like you have to use your blinker in the parking lot as you go from one lane to another. Come to a complete stop at the end of the parking row before you make your turn. You have to stop at a Yield sign located near the DPS office. Of course, there are also the more traditional things like you must turn your head to each side and pause once it it turned so that the officer knows that you looked. You have to nail the parallel parking for the test. I think he had to be within 3 inches of the curb to pass the parallel parking.

In the end, he passed in Bryan but I totally get why people go out of town to test.
motherrunnersBCS
Oh, and go to the DPS in Bryan and practice parallel parking there before the test. It is a kind of odd set up with a pole and three curbs, not what we were practicing with while teaching. Also good to practice getting to the darn place - it is a driving test just to get there.

Child had no problems with test, made a 98. We had no problems with the Bryan DPS other than the fact that it takes weeks to get an appointment - but that was every place within a two hour drive - believe me, my kid was online looking for a location the minute the coursework and hours were done. We used those extra weeks as leverage to get even more practice with a parent in the car.

Don't forget the weird paperwork that says your child is enrolled in public school. I never did figure out what that was for, or what private school or homeschooled people did for it.
Oogway
It sounds like we have a number of options to consider prior to making our choice, and thank you for giving us a variety of viewpoints and experiences. I am off to explore the DPS we site this weekend. You all know stuff!
Birddog
AG
FWIW......The Brenham office had many openings that met our criteria and were super easy to work with, but the drawback is you had to make your driving test reservation in person.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.