Shipwreck Grill

9,718 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ksp
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried the place last Sun afternoon and was very disappointed. The service was great, very friendly and efficient but the food was mediocre at best.
The so- called spicy buffalo crawfish were tiny and just plain ordinary , Popeyes Cajun crawfish are much better. The wife's order , blackened talipia was not well seasoned and also bland.
I hope I just hit em on a bad day but am interested in yalls experience.
jja79
AG
I've tried them 3 times and left feeling the same as you all 3 times.
originaltexan
What did the manager say when you told him before you left?
techno-ag
AG
Been several times for burgers or fish tacos. Always a great experience.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
No one has time to inform management when I must first register my disgust on the Internet.
ksp
Not a fan either, tried it three times. With that said they have a huge following and every bodies tastes are different. I do not think you find a single restaurant that every single person in town likes. Just the way it is.

They have been in business a while, so again while not my thing, there are many that do like it.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
Been several times for burgers or fish tacos. Always a great experience.

I saw some folks near us having some burgers and they did look good. Might try the fish tacos if we ever go again.
Tanya 93
quote:
Thank you. I will look into it.

Three freaking times.
dgonzo99
I have always had a good experience there. Always tell the manager when something isn't right. Most places will redo the meal.
Ronnie Gardocki
Most of the food there is just too greasy for me. The staff has always been wonderfull though and I admit I've only tried about four or five things off the menu.
FlyRod
The oysters are ok, but being inexpensive you get what you pay for. I haven't had the unhealthy stuff. Drinks are pretty ordinary..."usual suspects" beers like Bud, etc. Staff and owners are nice.
ksp
Wade and his wife Mary ( I think that was her name) have always been super nice. I do want to get by and try amico nave soon tho.
Scruffy
AG
I've been to both.
Went to shipwreck about two Sundays ago with my folks. While I wish they had a larger beer selection, the food was good.
I goth the smothered mushroom burger.
GF got the budain.
Mom got the blue cheese burger
Dad got the gumbo
Brother got something and so did his GF.

It wasn't fancy or pretentious. It was laid-back and good.

I don't think it's crawfish season yet, so that may impact those dishes.

I think it would have been the right thing if you had informed the manager or staff of your disappointment. In my limited interaction with Mary and Wade, they want to know if something wasn't right.

As for Amico Nave, the few times I've been there it has been outstanding. Great date place.
deh40
AG
Amico Nave has been very good every time we have been. Not that big a fan of Shipwreck.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
IF there's something wrong with the food (undercooked, wrong, or whatever) I'd tell the manager. But if I simply didn't care for it, I don't think that's something I'd bring up with a manager. I give places a try, if I don't like the food I don't go back. If I like the food I'll give a few more chances even if there's bad service. But if I just don't like the taste of the food it's my personal preference, not something the manager or restaurant did wrong.
rhoswen
AG
True, but you also wouldn't come here to tell all of us you didn't like something.
momlaw
AG
I have had excellent response every time I've written management per the email address on Shipwreck's website - for both positive and constructive comments.

Golden Rule is my measure - if I were management would I want to know, yes, absolutely.
jmz768
Only been a couple of times, but everything was good.
Spiderpig
Went there twice. First time, service was terrible (orders brought out wrong multiple times, and never did get what we actually ordered), and food was only mediocre. Management was great, though: when they came around to ask how everything was, we told them and they gave us a coupon for a free meal. Tried them again a few weeks later. Service was terrible, and food was only mediocre. Amico Nave is great, though!
studioone
"The oysters are ok, but being inexpensive you get what you pay for. "

Is there any other place in town to get raw oysters?
FlyRod
Veritas and The Republic. And if they actually open, Pappadeaux.
Stucco
Love Shipwreck. And Amico too.

Laid back, unassuming, welcoming, outdoor seating, good burgers, chicken sandwiches, specials.
eloc62
Been to that place many times dating back to when it was Captains Oyster Bar. Captains food was great! don't know why they closed. Shipwreck has a great vibe and great owners. just wish their food was better! i have left disappointed in the quality and quantity the last few times.
Straight Talk
AG
I think you caught them on a bad day. The Shipwreck is one of our favorite places. Lunch and dinner we have always liked it. Inexpensive and good fast service. There is always someone there that can fix most anything you may have a problem with and they do so quickly and professionally. Mike is a true pro and if he is there do not hesitate to call him over. Wade or Mary will bend over backward to help out, the amount of business they have acquired in their 5 years is a testimony to that. You have to remember this is a dive bar and not a gourmet restaurant and they have a very small kitchen and limited space for expanded beer service. Sorry you had a bad experience but as for us we love it!
SARATOGA
Telling the manager is just insulting somebody for no reason.

Telling the community via the internet may save someone the trouble and money of trying a place.

Customer: "I'd like to speak to the manager"

Manager:"Hi, how can I help you ?"

Customer: "Your staff was friendly and the service was good, but I could have made better food at home for less money"

Manager: "Well next time just stay home"

What is the manager going to do ? Offer them a coupon for more subpar food at the same restaurant ?

FlyRod
Wow. All the time you've been on this board, Sara, and you don't recall how many restaurant folks--CMac, Shipwreck, AggieRebel, etc.--have come on here to say how much they appreciate customer suggestions, and how they have responded to them?

Again, wow.
ksp
I have to agree, with everybody having a different palate, that if the food just doesn't taste good to you, I am not sure how the manager can correct that. there is no way to satisfy everyone's taste. If the service is sub par I'll speak up . if the food is not made how I ordered or is cold, I'll speak up. if it just doesn't satisfy my taste buds I won't speak up. What I will do is go back again to make sure it wasn't a bad night, but after three trips and just not making my taste buds scream for joy, I just learn that this restaurant is not for me. And you know what? That is OK. Again not every one will like a restaurants taste.

Just the way it is.
NashMan
I was there a while back and had the fried shrimp. Not very good at all. My wife cooks fried shrimp better. I've eaten there before as well. I have no plans tog o back.
ShipWreckGrill
Ag 76

My apologies on your experience Sunday. I am glad the service was excellent however am sorry we fell short on the food experience. If you would be so kind as to contact me personally I would love to make sure you are taken care of 100 percent.

I do realize that we cannot please everyone however it is our passion to try. If the food was bland it was not up to our standards and I would love to make it right.

You can reach me at wade@shipwreckbcs.com

Thanks!

EliteElectric
I eat at Shipwreck all of the time. The food is unpretentious casual dinning, they aren't trying to pass themselves off as Spago for Pete's sake. Shipwreck is owned by good people who try to please and they have always been open to conductive criticism. The fact that they have been in business as long as they have and have been as successful as they have says that a lot of people also like their food. Personally I like their food, and what criticisms I have had they have addressed.
ksp
quote:
I eat at Shipwreck all of the time. The food is unpretentious casual dinning, they aren't trying to pass themselves off as Spago for Pete's sake. Shipwreck is owned by good people who try to please and they have always been open to conductive criticism. The fact that they have been in business as long as they have and have been as successful as they have says that a lot of people also like their food. Personally I like their food, and what criticisms I have had they have addressed.
Think that is what most in this thread have said.
originaltexan
Here is why you ask to talk to the manager:

A) He may say, the owner is here, would you like to talk with him. The owner might be so impressed with your level of expertise that he hires you or gives you tons of gift cards for future use.

B) if someone is just a nag & can't be satisfied, even at the Regis Hotel in Houston, the manager might comp your meal and simply agree that the patron and the restaurant are not a compatible match, i.e., hit the road. You get your money back & have nothing to gripe about.

C) Proprietor addresses the matter & corrects the situation.

In any case, I always communicate my perceived problem in a normal tone & try to seek a resolution. A message board has NEVER solved my problem. If the problem was solved, a person is responsible.

Places like Yelp are good to rant, review, or praise. Honestly, I would be afraid to offer disparaging remarks that could result in a loss of business for someone. I don't know. It just doesn't seem fair. There are numerous places I won't eat in town, but I can tell you this. 75% of my friends think I am crazy. It is simply a matter of differences. To put that in perspective, ask a wine drinker about X, Y, or Z brand. Then go ask 25 other people. You will have scattered results.
duffelpud
AG
I eat at Shipwreck semi-regularly and have a few observations:

- It's not Veritas
- It's not McDonald's
- The food is of adequate quality and reasonably priced
- The atmosphere is very laid back, inviting and comfortable
- The service is always excellent and the owner (Wade) and manager (Mike) always friendly and gracious
- They try to make the place better all the time
- They are local
ksp
Speaking from my perspective and my issue of it not satisfying my palate only, here is how i see it.

1) they have a huge following that like them.
2) telling wade after my meal that the taste doesn't sit my palate will accomplish nothing but waste my time and his.
3) since he has a huge following I would not expect him to change to satisfy one person , I would expect him to stick with what has worked so far for him. hence why it would be a waste of time for him and me.
4) any type of service issues or orders made wrong or food coming out cold, I agree 100% bring to the managers attention.
5) I would have a hard time telling anybody my palate thought their food sucked

With that said, I still meet friends there to enjoy their bar and liquid refreshments served there.
techno-ag
AG
Well said OT, Duff, & ksp.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.