It's Girl Scout Cookie Time!

5,300 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jrhmc
jrhmc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starting Jan. 21, please watch carefully in the evening for our local scouts to be out with their wagons. Also please understand that this is a learning opportunity for all of our scouts but especially for our youngest scouts so please be kind. They are learning the 5 skills of Goal Setting, Decision Making, Money Management, People Skills, and Business Ethics while participating the largest girl-run business in the world. I've been amazed at the lessons my daughter has learned over the last 6 years in how to present yourself, how to take rejection gracefully, how to work towards a goal, how to serve others, etc. Thanks for supporting your local scouts and look for us at stores starting Jan. 29!
momlaw
AG
Lifetime Girl Scout member and national Thank You award member here.... not the mother of a Girl Scout, though a volunteer leader, neighborhood leader and council board member in a lifetime prior to Texas.

Please ask your entrepreneurs how their funds will be used, what service, learning, and other projects. Help them engage with you regarding the purpose and outcome of their enterprise. Being cute and having a good product is not enough.

God Bless leaders like jrhmc for the impact they make on young lives.
oklaunion
" Being cute and having a good product is not enough. "

I disagree with this statement.
O.G.
Resistance Is Futile.....
jrhmc
AG
Thanks, momlaw! My troop set their goal to earn a lock-in and complete 10 service projects this semester. My daughter and at least one other girl in my troop are also earning money towards a trip to Japan with scouts in 2017. All girls should know their goals!
ksp
So if I understand on that evening they will actually be out pounding pavement door to door as opposed to sitting outside kroger or walmart?
jrhmc
AG
They will go door to door during the entire season but won't be in front of stores until next week. Door to door sales are just more work for less return most of the time. My daughter can walk to every house she can reach for 2 hours and only sell about 40 boxes or she can work hard for 2 hours in front of Walmart and sell 200 boxes. The girls should be doing the work either way but it's just smarter to get a better ROI on time spent.
EliteElectric
My niece will be in Pebble Creek tonight with her custom GSC sled peddling goodness! Look for her
sheridan07
There's a mom on bcs online yard sale facebook page soliciting cookie sales for her daughter. How's that for teaching her Girl Scout the 5 skills?
BCSMom
Girl Scout Cookies are hard work, but worthwhile to see the joy in my girls! It is more of a family event for the month of February! My husband and I get involved and even my 5 year old son loves to tag along with his sisters around the neighbhorhood! We do door to door sales, but the booths are the most lucrative. Plus we have had some crazy weather lately so door to door is a hit or miss! My girls enjoy doing both the door to door and booths!

I do post on facebook to my friends to know that cookie sales have started. We have our regular customers each year and they want to know! However, my daughters are the one to gather the cookies, greet the customer at the door, take the money and excitedly tell them what they are raising money for!

I know all Girl Scouts (and their families) appreciate all your support and encouraging!
BCStalk
I just want my cookies!
BCSMom
I agree BCStalk! Try having boxes of them in your house and not being able to eat them!
ArchaeologyAg
AG
Does it normally get posted when/where they'll be storefront wise? I always seem to miss them and i'm not sure I can stand missing out on the cookies this year!
jrhmc
AG
Sheridan07, she's already in trouble with the main cookie people.
jrhmc
AG
ArchaeologyAg, I'll post a list of booth sites when we know them but generally the girls are in front of all Kroger, HEB, Walmart, and Sam's stores from 2-8 on Thursdays and Fridays ,10-8 on Saturday, and 12-8 on Sunday. We start booth sales on Jan. 29 and end on Mar. 1 although there may still be some older girls who are working on big trips or projects who will keep selling in March.
AggiePirate
AG
I have a question for the moms. How does one ' have ' the cookies to sell but not ' eat ' the cookies?
My first second and third instincts would be:

MsC2012
AG
Do any of these girl scouts take credit cards?
ksp
I am good to go, my neighbors daughter came by. I refuse to buy them outside walmart, kroger etc
jrhmc
AG
Yes, many of us take credit cards. We have Square readers.
MsC2012
AG
I seriously need some and someone who takes credit cards. Who can meet me this evening?
jrhmc
AG
Email me. jrhmcastillo at gmail dot com
ksp
quote:
I have a question for the moms. How does one ' have ' the cookies to sell but not ' eat ' the cookies?

wouldn't it be "eat argghhhhhh the cookies"
BCSMom
My girls would be happy to deliver any cookies! I've got 2 in GS, so we have a ton! Thanks!
waterchick
quote:
There's a mom on bcs online yard sale facebook page soliciting cookie sales for her daughter. How's that for teaching her Girl Scout the 5 skills?
Is it posting on Facebook that's wrong, or posting on the yard sale site? I've seen several moms post on FB that they have cookies available. I'm hoping to have baby Egret #1 selling cookies in a couple years so I need to know rules!
threecatcorner
Just curious if any of the Girl Scout moms posting on here have any of the gluten-free Toffeetastic cookies. I don't personally have to have gluten-free but I was curious about them (that flavor actually sounded okay), and they seem to be very limited amounts. A friend who does need gluten-free had contacted a scout's mom that we know, and she said that she only got one box and had already sold it. My niece is in Girl Scouts in the Houston area, so the flavors she mentioned were the ones from the other baker, but she didn't mention their gluten-free flavor, so I assume it was the same deal (either extremely limited quantity or not all troops are bothering with the gluten-free cookies).

Hmm, I wasn't actually trying to post a diamond.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:

wouldn't it be "eat argghhhhhh the cookies"
If I actually theoretically sound it out, it is more like " OMNOMOMNOMNOM"
jrhmc
AG
egret, it's not posting on Facebook that's wrong. It's posting on one of the for sale sites before the sale actually started. You can post on your own page but the girls should be the ones taking the money and delivering the cookies. Our area doesn't have online sales and they don't allow sales on sites like Craigslist, eBay, or the for sale groups on Facebook for safety reasons.

threecatcorner, all the troops in the area were limited to 24 boxes of the gluten-free cookie so that means that I didn't even get any and I'm the troop leader for my troop. They do sound good so I'm hoping that we can get more soon.
jrhmc
AG
They interviewed one of my girls and me for an article in The Eagle that went out on Wed. Since I was in Austin that day for an appointment, does anyone have a copy?

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/local-girl-scouts-to-begin-selling-cookies-this-week/article_018a429a-6646-5c43-ba38-d5a3ec6abd78.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.