HD antenna for College Station

15,880 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by patrick.redmill
shoc08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone here have advice on an HD antenna that reliably receives all the major networks?

I bought a Mohu Leaf 30 for my parents to see if they could feasibly drop cable while still getting the channels they typically watch. Unfortunately, the antenna was not able to get NBC or ABC and Fox was iffy. My parents live near Consol which is in a bit of a bowl and might be affecting reception. We tried putting the antenna in the attic and also running it outside just to see if it would get a better signal. Has anyone had success with the 60 mile version of the Mohu leafin College Station?

I brought the leaf 30 back to Houston with me and get tons of channels so at least it wasn't a loss.
halibut sinclair
There is no such thing as an "HD" antenna. Even a set of rabbit ears will pick up all the local digital OTA signals. CBS, FOX, NBC and PBS all have very strong signals. ABC is spotty, but still comes through most of the time.
shoc08
AG
Thanks for the clarification. What antenna are you using?
halibut sinclair
You know that cheap set of rabbit ears that came with one of your old tube tv's? When I need to pick up an OTA signal on one of our HD tv's, that's what I use. Works like a charm. We live in Bryan.
UmustBKidding
go to http://www.antennaweb.org/
and see what gain antenna you need. There are local translators for those networks but they are fairly low powered.
techno-ag
AG
That's a great way to save money. With an antenna and Netflix you can cut the cord on cable.
halibut sinclair
patrick.redmill
You're in luck! I did this myself last year, and I reliably pick up everything, including the very tricky ABC 40 (and I live near Consol). It's surprising that you're having issues getting Fox, that and CBS are the strongest signals. NBC can be a bit tricky, but any decent, exterior antenna pointed vaguely at the KAGS transmitter will get NBC. Suffice it to say, a Mohu Leaf isn't gonna cut it here.

The situation with ABC 40 is: I never got clarification if their transmitter is in BC/S or Waco, but I strongly suspect the latter. You need: a deep fringe VHF antenna (that you'll put on the roof or *maybe* in the attic), and you'll point it at Southwestern Waco. This is what I got.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DFTGRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, you'll need a preamplifier. This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQN3R9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't forget something to mount the antenna. I got a 5' mast and a tripod mount, but this really depends on your roof (mine is flat) and whether or not you have a chimney (nope).

Probably more than you really thought about spending, but the signal is very robust and reliable. I even get the Waco NBC when it's clear out (which has an extra subchannel that our NBC frequency does not have). You'll probably get by without the preamp and the giant antenna if you can do without ABC. If not, this is what you are lookin at.
Aggietex04
I built myself one of these for ~5 dollars from parts at Walmart. Not in the consol area but it is able to pickup channels for me after I threw it in the attic (cars driving into my driveway would cause it to cut out for a second at ground level). Cheap enough to give it a try if you are into DIY.

angus55
I bought the 100 one from best buy for my deer cabin in Flynn this fall. Worked like a charm out there. If they are seriously wanting to drop cable spend a little on a good one. Great picture on the Waco stations and Channel 3.
labmansid
If you are willing to try a larger outdoor type antenna, I have one I haven't used in quite a while I could let go of.
phatpat21
Just got rid of suddenlink and got sling tv and a antenna setup. I pick up all the channels very well except I don't get ABC. I assume the broadcast is out of Waco. Pretty happy/surprised with both sling and the indoor antenna. Sling tv is only $25 (got the sports package upgrade for $5) otherwise its only $20
BigBubba
AG
I recently did this and I am getting 16 channels over the air including ABS, NBC, CBS, and FOX.

I got this antenna
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I am using this preamplifier
https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-LNA-200-Boost-Digital-Preamplifier/dp/B00DQN3R9O

You can get both for $84 from Amazon.

You have to get the preamplifier or you won't get half of the channels.

I mounted this antenna inside my attic and it works great. I live in south College Station in the Pebble Creek area. Point the antenna directly North West.
phatpat21
I might need to reposition my antenna then. The other channels come in very well though. I think i have it facing more north-eastish. Thanks for the info.
AFM
Hey BigBubba, do you use the preamp in each room or just connected it next to the antenna before signal is split into outlets inside a house? Thanks
BigBubba
AG
AFM said:

Hey BigBubba, do you use the preamp in each room or just connected it next to the antenna before signal is split into outlets inside a house? Thanks
The preamp is connected to the antenna in the attic. That wire then goes into a splitter that feeds 4 TVs in different rooms.
patrick.redmill
phatpat21 said:

I might need to reposition my antenna then. The other channels come in very well though. I think i have it facing more north-eastish. Thanks for the info.

Northeast won't reliably work; no transmitters in that direction. I use an app on my phone called, fittingly enough, Antenna Pointer. Point the antenna right between Waco and Abilene. Almost exactly Northwest.

Southeast *might* work if you are really motivated to get Houston channels. I think most of their transmitters are in the southeastern part of town. I used to do that; it was OK, but NBC was iffy.
halibut sinclair
phatpat21 said:

I pick up all the channels very well except I don't get ABC. I assume the broadcast is out of Waco.
The Waco ABC channel on 25.1 is re-broadcast on low power channel 40.1 here in Bryan. The signal does suck.
atm86
AG
Isn't there ANYONE who will install these for you? Time/age are issues for me, and I certainly want to drop SL.
jrhmc
AG
Thanks for the info! We switched to PSVue and Hulu for most of our tv stations since it also has KBTX live and DVR capability but I think we might want the live ABC in the fall when college football comes back. For anything else, I'm willing to wait a day for it to be on Hulu with no commercials. It's saving us $600 over 2 years compared to what we were paying for a heavily discounted DirecTV and I shudder to think of what we're saving over Suddenlink.
phatpat21
Anyone having issues getting a Fox broadcast? Its not getting a feed. Maybe down for maintenance?
James Russell
AG
Not getting any of the 28.# channels in west Bryan. Must be an issue with their transmitter as I usually don't have a problem picking them up.
halibut sinclair
Yep its off air OTA and on Suddenlink. Watching the game on Fox Sports Go on Roku.
phatpat21
well that stinks! I was curious because normally Fox comes in really good. Thanks for the replies
phatpat21
I have tried this now and still can't pick up ABC. Oh well
patrick.redmill
phatpat21 said:

I have tried this now and still can't pick up ABC. Oh well

Have you tried a preamplifier? For me, that was key. I did try splitting my signal for a second TV just this weekend; that killed my ABC reception. It's pretty fragile.

Funnily enough, my network tuner has two signals, both with solid ABC reception. Going to skip the hardwire and just plug up a device to the 2nd TV that interfaces with my HDHomerun.

I, also, can confirm that FOX is down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.