Tennis Lessons in College Station?

8,054 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by tennisag13
JR Ewing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have someone they recommend for Tennis lessons in College Station? I have a 7 YO daughter who is interested in learning how to play. Also, has anyone done the City of CS's program at Central Park, and do you have any thoughts about it? Thanks in advance...
JR Ewing
AG
While we're at it...I would appreciate thoughts on ice skating lessons/experiences as well.
Oogway
We had a good experience with the City Tennis program-it was pretty basic, but my son liked it and the instructors were not trying to recreate the next Roger Federer, which I appreciated.

Pyewacket
AG
Pebble Creek has lessons on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You don't have to be a member. You just pay a little more.
JR Ewing
AG
Thank you for the responses! I really appreciate them! =)
rhoswen
AG
I took an adult class a few years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. Had a great time. Back then most of the instructors were on the A&M tennis team (may still be true, I dunno).
My then 7 year old started beginner group ice skating lessons at Arctic Wolf (now Spirit Ice Arena) and fell so much the first day that I thought she would give up. She didn't. Coaches were very patient. She came home bruised at first but made fast progress. All the kids did. They hold 8 week sessions and I think one would have started at the beginning of January and end beginning of March, so you might want to hold off until next session to start so she can get the basics and fall as all the other kids are wiping out too.

We signed her up for once a week the first 8 week session but then went for twice a week after that. It does not cost twice as much and the kids get the same lesson twice that week. Made it easier if she had to miss a lesson too due to schoolwork or illness. She completed Basic 1-5 and is a proficient enough skater. She then dropped ice skating for tennis.

We went with Gordon's Tennis. Jamie was her coach most of the time though Gordon filled in at times due to tournaments. it was very low key and we liked it. Group lessons were 45 minutes and we added a few private lessons the first couple of months. Jamie was encouraging but not pushy. They played lots of games as a group to work on skills so my daughter thought is was great. I paid for the lessons that she took and if we missed a lesson, we did not pay. I thought that was a great policy for what we were looking for. There were some tournament options and we were pleased with the level of competition. It was fun and friendly. I could see it becoming more serious as the kids got older but for the 5 yr - 9 yr old group that we had, it was a great option. The lessons were held at Aerofit on Carter Creek and you did not have to be a member to participate. 44455 Carter Creek Parkway, Bryan, TX 778979.846.8925Jamie@gordonstennis.net
Oogway
Just heard an ad on the radio for Spirit Ice arena. Sounded like beginner lessons are enrolling now, FWIW.
JR Ewing
AG
Thanks so much for the information 1.618! I really appreciate it! Also, thanks Oogway as well! Thanks to all!

hs10scoach
Jamie and Gordon have moved to Briarcrest CC, aka "Phillips Center(?) She does an awesome job with teaching kids tennis, her daughter is a pretty good player in her own right as well as young son. High recommendations for her.
tennisag13
AG
I took lessons/did group drills at pebble creek for about 8 years and it was great. There were a lot of us in a close age range with similar skill levels, so that helped also. The pro that was there most of that time has actually moved to Miramont, and he also runs the Summer Grand Slam each year now (largest junior tourney in the state) - his name is Todd. As far as experience and teaching he's top notch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.