Oil change

7,892 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggiePirate
deh40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where is a good place to get an oil change in College Station?
jja79
AG
I'm not local but needed a change while in town last saturday. Went to American Lube Center at Tower Point. Never again. I've never paid so much for an oil change and never felt so pressured to explain why I wasn't biting on the upsell. Very bad experience.
AgResearch
AG
CarDoc on Harvey. They're a no BS type of place.
dgonzo99
quote:
I'm not local but needed a change while in town last saturday. Went to American Lube Center at Tower Point. Never again. I've never paid so much for an oil change and never felt so pressured to explain why I wasn't biting on the upsell. Very bad experience.
I used the one in Bryan. They put the wrong oil in my car. I specifically told them what to use when I went in. I was lucky it didn't do damage to my car. Never have gone back.
Broncos
Christian Brothers on Hwy 6.
taxpreparer
AG
My last two oil changes have been at the Caldwell Country location on Southwest Parkway.

My wife has used College Station (Varsity) Ford with no problems. I know that is rare for those on this board, but it happens.
rhoswen
AG
Wolf Pen and Shammy
originaltexan
Buy the oil and oil filter that you prefer. Your car is specific and some shops pour whatever they have into your precious crankcase.

Take your oil and oil filter to Seviks. I think it is $20 for their labor. Takes about 20 minutes.

There is no upsell or pressure to buy anything.

AggieBarstool
Take OT's advice, but go to Shell Rapid Lube on Texas by Downtown Bryan. In and out in less than 10 minutes and under $20.
originaltexan
So for those that never ventured down this highway, read your owners manual.

What is recommended? Conventional, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic?

What weight, such as 5w40...

For the oil filter, there are $4 filters and $15 filters. I usually put a better vehicle in my ride.

Keep your engine happy.

Also, keep in mind that coolant/other fluids are specific, too , but that is another topic.

If you plan on keeping your vehicle running, your owner's manual is key.

Finally, yes, find a local shop that is close to your house and listens to what you say. I am sure there are many good shops around town.
AgResearch
AG
quote:
For the oil filter, there are $4 filters and $15 filters. I usually put a better vehicle in my ride.

This. Don't let the place use a Fram filter of any kind in your vehicle.

For oil filters I prefer Purolator brand, which is carried at Advanced Auto Parts stores (and others I'm sure but that's my go-to place).
Crusader
Been twice to Caldwell Country on SW Parkway just east of Texas Ave. Great experience both times.

I would avoid Wolf Pen like the plague.
cz308
I buy my filter and oil and also bring it to Sevcik's as well. In and out and no pressure. I don't know if they grease anything while they are under your vehicle though.
bearkitten
Went to American Lube Center a few years ago and got an oil change. They put air in my tires but my tire light stayed on. I went straight to Discount Tires and they did an air check and said my tires were low. Called manager and complained. I was in a hurry over December and thought I would give them another try. My tire light was on again and when I asked them about the correct air pressure they said it was the cold weather making the light come on. Again, went to Discount Tire and they said they were all low. My point to my story is if they can't even put air in my tires and just fake it, I only wonder what they are doing to the oil in my car. Never again will I go there.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Goodyear they have appointments and online coupons.
Or watch dealer websites for specials.
Sterling, Allen Honda and probably some others run specials
BCStalk
I have had HORRIBLE experiences with American Lube. They were actually trying to tell my wife it's ok to drill a broken oil plug out. In case you are ever in that situation stop. Metal shavings in a crank case is the last thing I wanted. I had to show up and force them to purchase an easy out to remove it correctly. Never been back since.
jrhmc
AG
Christian Bros. on Hwy. 6
75AG
AG
Remember the days when oil change places would also vacuum your car and wash your windows, in addition to checking your tire pressure?
Psych
AG
Anywhere but Sears
Bob2525
Would recommend full synthetic in any new car (Amsoil is good for 10k miles with a good 10k filter, Castrol, Royal, etc). If an older car, I'd recommend Castrol high mileage along with a quart of Lucas oil (helps out the seals and quiets lifters).
Never had anyone else change my oil but any locally owned car shop should treat you right if you tell them what to use. Quicky oil places and bulk oil will kill your engine...
atm86
AG
Quick Lane at CS Ford (formerly Varsity Ford) does a $45 or $47 oil change with semi-synthetic oil, and rotates tires, and checks/fills fluid levels. Pretty quick, about 20 mins for all that.

Edit: They try the upsell, so don't bite.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
THIS. I am amazed these guys won best of the brazos several times. We will never go back.
originaltexan
Newspapers, radio, et al...typically if you pay to advertise in a certain medium, you are the #1 in your genre when the annual review comes out
rhoswen
AG
quote:
Remember the days when oil change places would also vacuum your car and wash your windows, in addition to checking your tire pressure?

Both Wolf Pen and Shammy do this, as well as wash your vehicle.
tb9665
Yes, both of them do provide more services, But look at the price of an oil change and then add the price of synthetic oil on top of that.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I been doing it myself for a while. Easy. One of the places in town forgot to put the cap back on my valve cover after finishing the job. Oil spewed all over the engine. They denied responsibility and didn't offer to clean it or anything. They did top off the oil.

Another place, put the wrong oil in my car. I had requested something specific and they just put the bulk whatever they had in there. When I told them to stop and drain what they just put in and put in what I asked for they pushed back and said it didn't make a difference, yada yada yada. Yeah I know oil is oil. But I'm particular about what I put in and they put in something I didn't want. Anyway as they were draining they kept whining very loudly about how that's darn good oil they were draining out and how anyone with any sense at all wouldn't be draining good oil out of a car, basically just trying to make me feel stupid and guilty for insisting on them using what I asked for.

Both of these were over 10 years ago so I won't mention the names. But once I started changing my oil I figured out I liked tinkering on my car and that's led me into a lot DIY car repairs. It's not as hard as it looks.
techno-ag
AG
I agree SKF. And when I drain my oil I let it drain for 30 minutes or so. The quickie places don't get all the old oil out. Plus, I know for certain I'm getting the oil and filter I want for my vehicle.

But I fear you & I are in the dwindling minority here.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
This. My husband changed my oil until I got a vehicle that required a specific tool to change it which was pretty expensive. I went to Towerpoint and they were so expensive. And I told them I wanted one of their specific options, and they tried to upsell me for so long it was ridiculous. I'd never go back.
TJJackson
quote:

Both of these were over 10 years ago so I won't mention the names. But once I started changing my oil I figured out I liked tinkering on my car and that's led me into a lot DIY car repairs. It's not as hard as it looks.

I want to start changing my own oil, is there places around where I can take the used oil to dispose of?
AgResearch
AG
quote:
quote:
I want to start changing my own oil, is there places around where I can take the used oil to dispose of?

Most auto parts stores will take it. I know my local Advanced Auto parts does.

The Household Hazardous Waste Collection events will also take used oil.
BCStalk
Oreillys happily takes it. Free money for them.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:

If you can find enough people that will also do this I can maybe become the guy that collects all of the oil from everyone. This might be my ticket to really making it in a business all my very own. I think if at least 13 people change their oil about once a month this may be viable. LMK, thx

Edit: And don't just think you can copy me on this idea (people reading who would be so inclined). It was my idea and I thought of it first, seriously. For real, don't.
originaltexan
City of College Station used to accept used motor oil and oil filters.

My auto parts stores let you take there. The last time I went, I took it to their drum in the back of the store. Take a paper towel for your hands.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
City doesn't take it anymore. I take it to whatever auto store I'm buying the oil or whatever else from.

Aggiepirate, unless the cost was extremely low I'm not sure how interested I'd be. It would definitely be convenient but it's not overly inconvenient for me to go to an auto store.
75AG
AG
Pirate, I don't know about picking up my used oil. BUT, I think there's a business picking up up dog poop! I'd pay $2 a week if you'd come get the poop in my back yard.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.