Childcare for double trouble

4,528 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Gabriella0713
Gabriella0713
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Moving from Indiana this fall and thinking about childcare for what will be 16 month old twinnies. I have always preferred in-home care but am open to taking them somewhere as well. Any recommendations would be helpful so that when I come back and forth between now and then I can go visit places =)
curry97
AG
A&M Methodist Weekday School. Just to warn you, most of the good places have a waiting list.
Gabriella0713
Thank you I will look into it. The waiting lists are what im worried about especially since there are 2
jmazz
AG
We have 18 month old twins so I'm interested to know options as well. Anyone know some part time options...a couple days a week?
SoTheySay
S
I have 2 year old twins. The wait list is rough for two so I recommend getting on more than one list. It is much harder when they are infants, though!

We chose the wait list at St Thomas Aquinas and Covenant Presbyterian. (Currently attending St Thomas Aquinas)

Personally don't feel part time is worth the cost. It's almost as much as full time and way less hours.
waterchick
My twins go to Stepping Stone (University Oaks) and I'm happy with them. For me it was easier to have them go to the same place as Big Sister, who is in Pre-K, rather than get a nanny or do part-time. Your mileage may vary. I got on the waiting list pretty much as soon as I found out I was carrying twins, but that was way earlier than I needed to. I think our twins would be in the 12-18 month class at the same time if you put them in Stepping Stone.

When you get here, check out Brazos Valley Mothers of Twins Club. It has been a welcoming and resourceful group for me.
Gabriella0713
I will definitely look into that and see about at least getting on the waiting list. And it's funny you mentioned the twins club because I was looking into that moms with twins can use all the support we can get haha! is there much involvement?
SoTheySay
S
Sent you a PM!
justalocal
There are a few MDO programs that do not keep waitlists, first come, first served such as First Baptist Church in College Station, School for Little People (but they do offer slots to currently enrolled first).

You should probably look into getting on a waitlist soon. I've been calling around and the waitlists are already pretty full - at least at the places that we'd consider. We need the infant room and from what I've been told we aren't going to make the cut-off for the Fall unless the waitlist clears or currently enrolled leave. There are a few places that will have summer care available but only summer because the parents take their child out but bring them back for the fall. The only place that seems to have openings now is Faith & Family and I'm going to assume that is because they are a newer operation.

Many of the daycares here do not have the part time option anymore as it is not cost-effective. We went through that with our first. Cost depends on where you go...when we went to Covenant we paid under $300/mo for part-time care, Parkway Baptist part time was $400/mo, and Primrose was $709/mo. Covenant no longer has a part time option and Pwy Baptist closed down the childcare center. I can honestly say that when we went to Covenant, the part time cost was beneficial to us (it has been awhile but I think we paid $286/mo and the full time cost was $600/mo).
double b
AG
We've been happy with St.Michael's and is centrally located. Encourage you to check them out.
understandingmom
I'm another Brazos valley twin club member but i must confess, I'm not very active. My twins are five and I have an 11 year old. I was more active when my twins were younger. The moms with younger twins tend to be more active and there are some really awesome members.
Childcare: We love Powersports. My twins have been going there since they were 2 and are currently enrolled. We have been at Powersports for my oldest a lot longer. Your children have to be two for the preschool program (jump2learning). As this might not work for OP, throwing it out there for others. They offer several part time options. 2/3/5 days a week as well as half days 2/3/5 days.
Costs are online I believe at Powersportskids.com.
My twins were in a home care setting before powersports. You might check into that, especially if you really only want part-time.
Congrats on twins.
Gabriella0713
Thank you. That's definitely something to keep in mind for when they are older. I have a 4 almost 5 year old as well. I would definitely be interested in in-home care just need to find the right person which is difficult being brand new to the area. So any info on that would be great too
studioone
get plenty of sleep now..

hide all sharpies (just had my monitor piccasso'ed)..
problem is i cant figure out which one did it..

dad of 3.5 year old identical twin girls.

wife and i figured it would cost more to get a child care than we make, so i stay home half a day and she works half a day and we switch..

Gabriella0713
So cute! I know I'm in the medical field so my hours can be pretty flexible. I haven't worked nights since I first graduated but itd be a thought to start that way until I figured out childcare.
gigemags03
AG
Our daughter goes to Sonshine School at A&M Church of Christ on Hwy 6. We really like it. It's a part time program Mon-Thurs, but you can choose what days work for you (or all of them). I believe there is a waiting list though.
4lilmonkeys
Another (former) member of BVMOTC (and former VP)! A really great group of gals, especially understanding mom and SoTheySay. Our boys are now in first grade and with a second grader and a freshman at AMCHS, a part-time job, two PTO's and my involvement with political groups, it was just too much time away from the family to stay involved. But really, it's a great support system when your kids are little and you'll meet some really awesome ladies who will become great friends even after your babies become big kids.

I stayed at home up until our kids were all in school, so no recommendations for childcare. Just thought I'd chime in with my "BVMOTC is great" opinion! Best of luck!
jrhmc
AG
I don't have personal experience with the center but my neighbor owns Peas in a Pod childcare and is also a mother of twin girls. I've heard good things second hand.
Gabriella0713
Thanks everyone
summergal
I second A&M UMC's Weekday School! Such caring teachers and a wonderful loving Director!!
Consol98
If you're interested in a Montessori program, check out The Family Montessori at www.thefamilymontessori.com. They're a newer school and we enrolled our son in the program and couldn't be happier with the director and toddler teachers. Schedule a tour as it's interesting to see a calm and organized classroom as compared to some of the other daycares we visited. Good luck!
toolshed
AG
If you are looking for current openings, call Faith and Family Learning Center @ 979-774-5300. They are on Boonville, next to Hillcrest Baptist, between Copperfield and Briarcrest. Friends of ours purchased the old Camelot Facility, remodeled and opened last summer. They have the former director from the daycare at Parkway Baptist. I know they have openings in most age groups currently.
Gabriella0713
Thank you. I'll definitely look into that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.