Big Trouble in North Zulch

6,502 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by welborn
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just seems odd that 4 teachers would up and resign like that mid-year.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Former-North-Zulch-ISD-Teacher-Cant-Comment-On-Resignation-Due-to-Gag-Order-285886891.html
rsa
AG
It will be interesting to see who steps down next, and to fully learn the reasons why these educators have chosen to resign so abruptly.
Kate Beckett
AG
This whole situation sounds troubling. I feel for the kids in that school district because that's who it ultimately rolls down on.
DBSwooper
The downward spiral started when they moved the town to be closer to the tracks.
91_Aggie
AG
kbtx needs to interview kids from the school... you know they'll now what is up and there would be no gag order on them.
originaltexan
Are there any investigative reporters in Brazos Valley?
ksp
KBTX will now interview some kids since it was posted here.
Bucketrunner
Some tenured teachers had not been following TEA guidelines because it was more work to develop new plans. They decided to revolt and didn't believe the school board would actually accept their resignations, thought they could hold the school hostage and not have to meet requirements. Surprise! Of course, the school officials will not be able to defend their decision because of confidentiality in personnel decisions. Let the administration bashing begin!

And no, I don't work there and have no children who attend. I do, however, know TEA requirements.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Some tenured teachers had not been following TEA guidelines because it was more work to develop new plans. They decided to revolt and didn't believe the school board would actually accept their resignations, thought they could hold the school hostage and not have to meet requirements. Surprise! Of course, the school officials will not be able to defend their decision because of confidentiality in personnel decisions. Let the administration bashing begin!

And no, I don't work there and have no children who attend. I do, however, know TEA requirements.

That seems odd.

1. Teachers in Texas don't really have tenure.

2. A teacher can leave before end of school. Doing so breaks their contract, though. I suppose a school board could refuse a resignation, but I haven't heard of it. Say a teacher's husband suddenly got a job out of state. What's the school board going to do, say no you can't go with your family?

3. Since you don't work there or have kids there, maybe somebody who does can provide some more info, hopefully.
rhoswen
AG
So how do you know all this?

I'm having a hard time believing teachers would just say "screw you we're not doing that." And if they did, why anyone would blame the administration?
rhoswen
AG
And adjusting plans to meet the TEKS isn't that much work.
carpe vinum
AG
Didn't Navasota have a big stink over similar issues a year or two ago?
CSTXmom
quote:
2. A teacher can leave before end of school. Doing so breaks their contract, though. I suppose a school board could refuse a resignation,
but I haven't heard of it. Say a teacher's husband suddenly got a job
out of state. What's the school board going to do, say no you can't go
with your family?

Yes and no. The school district can refuse to accept your resignation from a contracted teacher position. When that happens, they are basically saying you can' t leave. When you do, they report you to SBEC (State Board for Educator Certification) as having "abandoned" your contract. Most times, SBEC suspends your certificate for one or two school years, depending on the situation surrounding your resignation.

Happens all the time. Teachers leave for various reasons during the year.
welborn
Knowing 3 of the 4 that left, I can say that the portrayal of their lack of commitment to that town and those kids is despicable by the Mr. Lyons.

I taught and coached there years ago, and can promise you that those teachers, one of whom was the Principal who hired me, care for those kids. That's the part of the story that really angered a lot of folks.

As for changes in TEA requirements to maintain certificates? I have no clue about any of that. I've been out of teaching too long to know what changes have been made. I can assure you that if it were as simple as fulfilling a CE course or meeting new standard set for by the SBEC, those 4 would do it.

Something else has to be up.

And lastly I'll predict that at least 5 other various employees quit in the near future. AT LEAST 5.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I'm having a hard time believing teachers would just say "screw you we're not doing that."
Being the spouse of a long-time teacher and hearing her tell stories.....I can believe that.
Scruffy
AG
Having a sibling who worked for a small district, I learned the politics can be bad.
Could be some bad blood between people.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
2. A teacher can leave before end of school. Doing so breaks their contract, though. I suppose a school board could refuse a resignation,
but I haven't heard of it. Say a teacher's husband suddenly got a job
out of state. What's the school board going to do, say no you can't go
with your family?

Yes and no. The school district can refuse to accept your resignation from a contracted teacher position. When that happens, they are basically saying you can' t leave. When you do, they report you to SBEC (State Board for Educator Certification) as having "abandoned" your contract. Most times, SBEC suspends your certificate for one or two school years, depending on the situation surrounding your resignation.

Happens all the time. Teachers leave for various reasons during the year.

I agree if a teacher burns their bridges the SB & administration might well report them to SBEC. But what I've heard is it's somewhat rare (at least around here). I know one former teacher who got fed up with her new principal & resigned in November. They accepted her resignation, although they didn't have to. I think that may create some question marks on her resume though. Would the next principal want to take a chance on somebody who left midyear?
welborn
I can see something along the lines of, those 4 being given an ultimatum to either take a leave of absence until the newly required credentials for SBEC were fulfilled,

Or Lyons told them they would have their salary dramatically reduced if they did not complete the requirements.

Could be something about having to pay out of pocket for something that other districts would normally do.

Honestly I don't know what all happened, or if there is anything to this theory about them not being in the guidelines of accredited teachers via SBEC. What I do know is Tim, and that coon ass obviously had enough of it with Mr. Lyons. Its no shock that the 3 that followed him are who they are. What shocked me is the 5 or 6 that I would have bet the ranch would have left along with them.

Its the holidays, $, not a good time to hunt for a new teaching gig ect ect I get that.

But if it were a simple fix, and a reasonable deal, those 4 would have done whatever they needed to do to stay there.

Could get worse though I assure you. That School Board might have some drastic changes to it too.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Could get worse though I assure you. That School Board might have some drastic changes to it too.

That would certainly require elections, right? Surely you're not suggesting immediate changes.

And the entire SB is not up for election at once, right? So ... it can't be THAT drastic, amiright?
CSTXmom
1. They can't reduce pay for a teacher without reducing everyone. The rates are set by the school board each year based on years of service.
2. If multiple teachers choose to resign at once, most places will do an all or none approach with accepting resignations. Most of the time, especially around here, they will not accept them. Have to set an example to keep others from doing same thing. A few years ago, Bryan ISD had several teachers resign mid-year, and they were all classified as abandoning their contracts. They will also not accept if a teacher is trying to leave close to the start of the school year when it's hard to find replacement teachers.
3. Most principals will consider reason for leaving when applying for a new job. They were teachers once, too.
welborn
The problem is this district is the epitome of "small town" Texas. Multiple families are employed at a variety of positions within that district. And I'm talking all the way up the scale right down to the lady that sweeps the cafeteria.

The web can become confusing, but spouses work with spouses, children work along side their parent and sometimes grand parent. Husbands with wives.

Ever have to ask your spouse if he/she would be renewing your contract next year?

The one thing I do see is Lyon is an outsider. Regardless of his qualifications, he's not "one of them". Never has been and never will be. Madison County is a different kinda place where its more important where you went to high school than where you went to college. Even if you move in before graduating.

Lyons is not from Madison County.
welborn
Out of those 4, the very least amount of time any of them had worked there is roughly a decade.

The three that I know have been there for the better part of 25-30 years.
welborn
After reading the two articles KBTX did, and comparing it what the Madisonville Paper wrote today (seriously, Madison County produces one newspaper and it is published one day per week) the line about "some of the positions have already been filled" is total bs.

Some folks already employed within the district moved around and one in particular got a nice promotion. Betcha can guess her last name.

They essentially haven't "filled" diddly squat. They literally just lost their English, Math, and Science dept for the ENTIRE HS/8th grade level all in one night.

When I was there, I was given a stipend for being the Head of the Dept I worked in. The Dept included myself, and one other girl who was fresh out of college too. The difference being, I actually had my teaching cert and she had yet to pass the test, so they gave it to me.

Losing teachers is bad, but you don't "lose teachers" at NZ. You lose entire departments.

They could potentially be looking for those positions, along with at least two aides, a nurse, a secretary, and 2 other HS Teachers if my prediction is right.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
They essentially haven't "filled" diddly squat. They literally just lost their English, Math, and Science dept for the ENTIRE HS/8th grade level all in one night.

Prolly filled with long term subs. May hurt the students come test time.

Sometimes a student teacher graduating in December can move into a January opening.
welborn
quote:
quote:

Prolly filled with long term subs. May hurt the students come test time.

Sometimes a student teacher graduating in December can move into a January opening. T&P for the district.

That's exactly how I was "interviewed" there. Signed me on for the start of the next May
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.