Oh Noes! Suddenlink is Evil!

10,121 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Rex Racer
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:

Dear Valued Customer,

As part of our "We Promise" Guarantee, we continue to make major investments in our communities to bring you the speed you need, now and into the future. As a valued customer, you are among the first to hear your Internet speeds are increasing for FREE. In many instances, speeds will double.

Current Speed (Mbps) - 15.0 Mbps
New Speed (Mbps) - 50.0 Mbps
Monthly Allowance* (GB) -
250 GB

To take advantage of this upgrade, simply power cycle your modem.
  • Unplug the power cord from your modem for one minute.
  • Reconnect the power cord.
  • Restart your computer and enjoy!
  • We hope you enjoy this free speed upgrade. Please call us at 844-790-7477 if you have any questions.

Thank you for choosing Suddenlink.

Not the bashing thread you were expecting, huh?
    aggiepaintrain
    AG
    Noticeably faster
    75AG
    AG
    Sweet!
    jrhmc
    AG
    I wonder if those of us who already have 50.0 Mbps will get a discount.
    75AG
    AG
    quote:
    I wonder if those of us who already have 50.0 Mbps will get a discount.
    I think it jumps up to 75.
    Rapier108
    So now we can hit the 250GB cap even faster. Joy.
    halibut sinclair
    Suddenlink
    AggieBarstool
    I still haven't had a chance to go home and test, but I'll post back when I do! * fingers crossed *
    redd38
    AG
    I have to power cycle my modem??? ef that! Too much work! Suddenlink should have made it easier for them to give me free things.
    jrhmc
    AG
    Yep. We're now at 80 Mbps.
    CWIsom
    quote:
    So now we can hit the 250GB cap even faster. Joy.
    it jumped to 350
    kyledr04
    AG
    Mine is about the same. Around 18Mbps
    fcag
    AG
    I got hit with a $10 charge last billing cycle for going over 250.

Is there a new cap for those that have the 30Mb service?
    CWIsom
    quote:

30 moved to 50 = 250
    50 moved to 75 =350
    fcag
    AG
    So it was just a speed increase since 50 already had a 350 cap?
    Rapier108
    quote:
    quote:

30 moved to 50 = 250
    50 moved to 75 =350
    As I said, now I can use up 250GB even faster.
    AggieBarstool
    YEAH BUDDY!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3990877599
    jmz768
    The speed difference won't even be noticed or beneficial to 90% of Suddenlink customers. I'd rather have my Viacom stations back, and to not have to pay to add on other stations that are included with most other cable companies. I've had Comcast and Time Warner, and with both, NFL Red Zone was included when you paid for the sports package. Not with Suddencrap though. Same for stations like IFC and BBC.
    Tailgate88
    AG
    Meanwhile the only option in my neighborhood is Verizon, and they just had to downgrade me fron 7Mb to 5Mb because they couldn't keep a reliable signal at 7.

Count your blessings.
    91_Aggie
    AG
    I get at least 2 mailings per week from Suddenlink wanting me to come back. They've had to spend over $100 in postage and whatever it takes to print all the offers they've sent me in that last 6 months.
    WireStar
    Tailgate88, what subdivision are you located in?
    rsa
    AG
    Followed the instructions first thing this morning, and there was no change. The power went off a little while ago, so I disconnected the cable as well as the power cord for the 30-or-so minutes the power was out. Reconnected everything, and jumped from ~16mbps to 51.6mbps.
    BlazeHarper
    They will continue to roll out the speed increase with your current plans grandfathered in. I believe the 15M will eventually go to 100M without any price increase. I like the speed increase but I do not like the data cap and I think many people here are missing the picture when it comes to internet offerings like this.

The reason Suddenlink is selling so hard with their marketing is not because they are trying to roll out more internet in BCS. They are selling it hard because existing customers are 1-cutting the cord to cable and either going to another provider (dish/directv) or simply doing an alternative streaming service. This is why your seeing them focus so hard on the bundle and their pricing. They do not want you to drop their cable offerings.

This house is a heavy user of the internet and though speed increases are good what is even better is having unlimited data. This is like building this new fast autobahn and everyone gets to drive a fast porsche/bmw/whatever on it however they are going to hit a toll booth and they are going to pay. You might not pay today but the chances you will increase each year. Suddenlink does not address the growing demand for bandwidth in peoples lifestyle. New iphone, shooting HD video, streaming HD services etc cause a growing demand for bandwidth.

I was in the focus group along with some others around here hosted by Suddenlink on their new 1GB service. Seemed like they were wondering how to pitch it to the market here and elsewhere. There was not one person in that room who liked the idea of data caps. Suddenlink knows it, every cable provider doing internet knows it. It is not a technical limitation it is a growing revenue stream for them and they do not admit it. I have been told many reasons, some of them quite interesting, why data caps exist.

Tailgate88
    AG
    quote:
    Tailgate88, what subdivision are you located in?
    I'm in Woodlake, and it's a mess. Rumor has it that the Wellborn CO is oversold and underequipped, and Suddenlink has never come into our neighborhood.
    WireStar
    Sounds like we need to expand the the Wellborn CO next. BTW, WireStar does not have data caps! We don't even limit the line we let it train up as fast at the technology will allow. You speed is totally depend on the quality and length of the copper wire going to your house, and the quality of the wire inside your house.
    KidDoc
    AG
    We are moving to College Station and thus having to go from our 1000mbit unlimited fiber to Suddenlink. The bandwidth cap is likely going to be an issue for my family as my son is a huge computer nerd and actually built and runs a server out of our house for his friends to play on. I called them about this and this is the answer I received.

For our 100mbit service the cap is 350gb. You get 3 months of free overages with no fees just warnings then it costs $10 per 50gb you go over. If you know you are always going to go over you can add additional gb to your cap for the following rates.
    $10 for 75 gb (425gb total)
    $20 for 150 gb (500 gb total)
    $30 for 225 gb (575 gb total)
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    atm86
    AG
    They snail mailed me a notice saying if I wanted to get the speed increase, I needed to buy a new modem from them for $50.
    fcag
    AG
    Did business accounts not get a bump?
    txknight
    I got the letter in the mail, too. I think it's because the higher speed requires a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I'm pretty sure I have a 2.0 right now- it's probably 7 or 8 years old.
    Ag20??
    AG
    quote:
    $10 for 50 gb (400gb total)

Why would you pay that if an overage fee is an extra $10 regardless? You'd be paying $10 per month extra even on months that you don't go over.
    KidDoc
    AG
    You are correct I copied it wrong. It is $10 for 75gig bonus I'll edit my post above thanks.
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    reynolwi
    Business/Commercial accounts will get a speed bump but in phases. I have seen the new speeds and how they break out with the phased rollout, but they haven't been officially released yet. If you are a new business customer on Suddenlink you will be put into the new speed packages. If you are an existing customer you will be phased in. Can't say when but unless there is a specific reason why you would need the speed jump before hand, your speed will be bumped automatically here down the road.

reynolwi
    @txknight... You will need a DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 modem to be able to get the higher speeds. You can get one from suddenlink or you can just go buy one from BestBuy. I recommend my customers to get Motorola Surfboard modems as they tend to last longer. Suddenlink is slowly switching to DOCSIS 3.1 to handle the GIG speeds they are going with and 3.1 bonds quite a bit of channels together to accomplish this.
    fcag
    AG
    reynolwi...

Do you know what the new speed level and cap options are for new business accounts?

I have the numbers for the old system when I called a few months back, but I wasn't ready to set something up yet. My delay may work to my advantage.
    KidDoc
    AG
    I purchased a motorola modem from best buy when I signed up for new service. They charge $10 a month to rent and it only cost $70 for a new modem so if you plan on being with them more than 8-9 months it is worth buying the modem.
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.