Internet options in BCS

4,509 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by WireStar
dachsie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are there any other options besides Suddenlink and Verizon?

This morning all of a sudden certain websites were not loading. Called Verizon who said everything was fine. It's your computer. Sorry - happening on ipad too. It's your browser - I used 3 different browers. It's the website - really? That many website are down and yet I can get them on my phone. Argh!

fanof3.88
Best bet is wireless DSL if your location has a clear sight of the tower. Check with Brazos Wifi, Texas Communications or Cybercom.
4lilmonkeys
I can't get certain sites to load this morning, either. FedEx is totally unavailable, as well as Netflix, Target.com and some other news/social sites I visit regularly without issue. Guessing it's on Verizon's end.
GSS
"wireless DSL" is an oxymoron

Texas Communications (which we use in Burleson County) provides a reliable wireless broadband signal, but it's not the "high speed Internet" most urban dwellers are accustomed to.
UmustBKidding
The internet has the flu this morning
you can go here
http://www.internethealthreport.com/
and there should be no red or yellow. Right now it has 5 red and a yellow so obviously some event (fiber cut likely) is causing congestion
Wireless is the last resort solution.
4lilmonkeys
Thanks UmustBKidding...gonna bookmark that for the future.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Best bet is wireless DSL if your location has a clear sight of the tower. Check with Brazos Wifi, Texas Communications or Cybercom.

Most definitely not the best bet. But if it's wireless, satellite or dial up then yes it's the best option. If you have access to Suddenlink then I think you go that route. Verizon DSL I have no experience with so I can't comment there.
Post removed:
by user
Stupe
S
Noticing the same thing with Verizon this morning. First time that I've had any problems with them.
stinkerbelle
Man O Man, I feel your pain. We are in a fight with SL right now and have decided to get out from under SL all together. We contacted Verizon last night. Gave us a great deal on TV and phone service but no internet at all. We said why no internet? Verizon says we don't have internet your area. We say, we are smack in the middle of Bryan, close to downtown, everyone around us has Verizon, Verizon says that isn't the problem, yes we service that area, we just CAN'T service that area now. We can't take on any new customers at this time. We have been slammed with new customers these past few months and now we don't have enough juice to accommodate everyone and we just can't take on any new customers and we don't know when we will either. So we arranged new service for TV and phone and we are shopping around for internet with the few options available. We contacted Brazos WiFi, they don't service our area, but the man we talked too was so nice and pleasant, the customer service we received was awesome and even gave us a few ideas to check out. It is crazy out there right now trying to get internet.
UmustBKidding
Stinkerbelle you might try Wirestar. Verizon has a bunch of full DSLAM's and they have no money for CAPEX since the wireless side is far more profitable and not encumbered by their Union contracts. I know Wirestar have a presence in Bryan Main but likely can't source you if your line is serviced by a RSU. They can let you know if service is available by your phone number. They can also provide you deals on tv and all the other stuff.
ChampsAg
CEO has some good options.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:

The guys at CEO are great but I doubt they are focusing on downtown Bryan. Their product is (same as Brazos WIFI) going to do really well in the outer portions of this area where hard line internet isn't available but they aren't going to get far erecting towers in areas that have Suddenlink available. Their product is relatively expensive if it has to compete with Suddenlink. In less densely populated areas it's a great product though.
BrazosWifi
quote:
quote:

The guys at CEO are great but I doubt they are focusing on downtown Bryan. Their product is (same as Brazos WIFI) going to do really well in the outer portions of this area where hard line internet isn't available but they aren't going to get far erecting towers in areas that have Suddenlink available. Their product is relatively expensive if it has to compete with Suddenlink. In less densely populated areas it's a great product though.
Thanks Loyal Ag... You beat me to it.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Ronald_Ragin
AG
OP,

I hate that you are not in a service area for BrazosWIFI. I can't say enough good things about Jim and the service provided.
fanof3.88
quote:
Most definitely not the best bet. But if it's wireless, satellite or dial up then yes it's the best option. If you have access to Suddenlink then I think you go that route. Verizon DSL I have no experience with so I can't comment there.

The OP said "besides Suddenlink and Verizon." So why would you say my opinions are definitely not the best bet?
WireStar
We at WirStar Networks are another internet option in town besides Verizon and Suddenlink. We use the same cables Verizon does, but deploy newer technology on top of them. We can services some area's that Verizon currently does not, and we don't require a phone line to get our DSL product.

We are in the process of updating our website so the pricing seen there isn't accurate, so I would suggest you give us a call if you need more details.
WireStar
quote:
Man O Man, I feel your pain. We are in a fight with SL right now and have decided to get out from under SL all together. We contacted Verizon last night. Gave us a great deal on TV and phone service but no internet at all. We said why no internet? Verizon says we don't have internet your area. We say, we are smack in the middle of Bryan, close to downtown, everyone around us has Verizon, Verizon says that isn't the problem, yes we service that area, we just CAN'T service that area now. We can't take on any new customers at this time. We have been slammed with new customers these past few months and now we don't have enough juice to accommodate everyone and we just can't take on any new customers and we don't know when we will either. So we arranged new service for TV and phone and we are shopping around for internet with the few options available. We contacted Brazos WiFi, they don't service our area, but the man we talked too was so nice and pleasant, the customer service we received was awesome and even gave us a few ideas to check out. It is crazy out there right now trying to get internet.

stinkerbelle, like UmustBKidding mentioned, WireStar Networks does offer internet services in downtown Bryan. Feel free to give us a call to discuss.
stinkerbellestinkerbellestinkerbelle
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
quote:

The OP said "besides Suddenlink and Verizon." So why would you say my opinions are definitely not the best bet?

You're right, my apologies.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
We at WirStar Networks are another internet option in town besides Verizon and Suddenlink. We use the same cables Verizon does, but deploy newer technology on top of them. We can services some area's that Verizon currently does not, and we don't require a phone line to get our DSL product.

We are in the process of updating our website so the pricing seen there isn't accurate, so I would suggest you give us a call if you need more details.

Tried to use your contact page and it's not working. It tells me that "Today's Date" is a required field but that field isn't on the page. I seriously doubt you're going to provide DSL to my area but if you do I've got a lot of folks that would be interested.
WireStar
quote:
quote:

Tried to use your contact page and it's not working. It tells me that "Today's Date" is a required field but that field isn't on the page. I seriously doubt you're going to provide DSL to my area but if you do I've got a lot of folks that would be interested.

I would be happy to look for you. Like I mentioned we are in the process of updating our website, so its best to call us at 979-721-9000 or email us at info@wirestar.net
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.