Health Insurance Options

4,218 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Txagclan
AggieWife2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I keep saying to myself, "Surely there has GOT to be another option!" I am now thinking that health insurance really does suck THAT much.

I am currently paying $417/month (2 adults, 1 child) for BCBS through a local broker. The deductible is astronomical and we maybe had 1-2 visits this year. We got a letter saying that it was going to be cancelled and we had to change. I am now being forced to pick a new plan which will make the premium go up about $100.

I refuse to pay the stupid penalty to not have the insurance so I feel stuck. I saw that Take Command Health is new on here so I went on that site. The site was useful but the numbers are still terrible. Am I overreacting at the cost? Are there ANY options out there? I don't need a fancy plan, I just want to it be priced lower. Thanks in advance!
I don't think that sounds too bad. I pay $500 per month for a policy that covers one adult and has a $3000 deductible.
understandingmom
My husband and I do not have insurance.
justalocal
I have BCBS through the university. I'm part-time and my portion for just me and children is over $500 a month (I believe it is $603 or $608 and some change if you add in dental and vision).
halibut sinclair
Call Ross Gunnels at ANCO Insurance.
AggieWife2008
S
Thanks for the replies. Our plan is a $6000 individual deductible. We will start paying $500 in January for it. It sounds like this is what most people are used to paying.
BlazeHarper
I do not know any other options. Over the past 10 years the health care plans have changed so much. In 2004 I paid out of pocket for a family of four $280 with Scott and White on an HMO plan with maternity, no deductible, no coinsurance, and a copay of $5. The last quote I got in 2012 for that same plan was $1280/month. There are certainly other options but higher deductibles, and coinsurance, have changed the plans so much to what there was 10 years ago. Now you can easily pay $400-600 per month on something that you will do everything you can not have to use it.

We have a health care industry not a health care system and I think it is one of the greatest failures in the world. We should have never made health a for profit commodity. I am priced out of the market right now.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
I do not know any other options. Over the past 10 years the health care plans have changed so much. In 2004 I paid out of pocket for a family of four $280 with Scott and White on an HMO plan with maternity, no deductible, no coinsurance, and a copay of $5. The last quote I got in 2012 for that same plan was $1280/month. There are certainly other options but higher deductibles, and coinsurance, have changed the plans so much to what there was 10 years ago. Now you can easily pay $400-600 per month on something that you will do everything you can not have to use it.

We have a health care industry not a health care system and I think it is one of the greatest failures in the world. We should have never made health a for profit commodity. I am priced out of the market right now.
I 100% agree
SumAggie
thanks Mr. Obama and all of your crooked friends! He gonna save us all.....
fcag
AG
quote:
In 2004 I paid out of pocket for a family of four $280 with Scott and White on an HMO plan with maternity, no deductible, no coinsurance, and a
copay of $5.

I remember having S&W back in grad school and loving it. I had rotator cuff surgery and the whole bill was under $100, including several months of physical therapy.
BMo
quote:
We should have never made health a for profit commodity.
I am all about free market but totally agree with you on this.
phatpat21
My wife called BCBS and got a better deal than what we were paying. We were paying around $370 a month with a HUGE deductible
Now it will be around $540 but a much MUCH better deductible (me, wife, kid 1 and soon to be kid 2)
All that to say call and talk to them and see if you can get a better deal
Sorry Phat but paying $2,000 more per year does not sound like a better situation to me.
DanHo2010
AG
AggieWife2008 - please send me an email. dhorn at aggienetwork dot com
AggieWife2008
S
Email sent, DanHo
PebbleCreekster
2012.....$443.14 a month for BCBS, 2 adults and 2 children with a $950.00 deductible.

2013......$550.47 a month for BCBS, 2 adults and 2 children with a $1500.00 deductible.

2014......$725.25 a month for BCBS, 2 adults and 2 children with a $12000.00 deductible, yes 12 thousand!

2015.......$998.25 a month with same $12,000.00 deductible.........thanks obama and any dumbass that voted for this idiot!!!!
phatpat21
Truth
But we are having a baby next year and our first daughter was in the NICU for a week
so for right now, it makes more sense for us
Txagclan
It may just be worth it to pay the fine (unless you have chronic health issues, or about to have a baby). This tax year it will be 1% of your annual income or $98, which ever is greater. Next tax year double that, the following year, triple.

Unless, of course, they change the rules again.

Since "health care" was determined by the Supreme Court to be a tax (even though Congress never voted on it as a tax), the place to check for accurate information about the rules/fines is the IRS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.