A&M Early Release

2,931 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by justalocal
Bearkat272
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are the days of A&M staff getting off early before a holiday over? Who used to make that call? Department heads?
MiMi
S
I think the University President makes that call. DH's can't do it. I've worked for TAMU for almost 25 years. We used to routinely get off early on Good Friday but I can't recall it ever happening before Thanksgiving.
FlyRod
My understanding are that the administration has given in to student requests to have the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off...no classes, exams etc, and this will go into effect next year. Of course this does not mean staff will be affected.
95_Aggie
AG
That pretty much ended with Loftin
DougMasters
AG
You can make the call for yourself. Just get up and leave. If your supervisor has a problem with it, take a couple of hours of leave. I've got six months saved up and I'll be darned if they try and prevent me from leaving early today.
MiMi
S
quote:
You can make the call for yourself. Just get up and leave. If your supervisor has a problem with it, take a couple of hours of leave. I've got six months saved up and I'll be darned if they try and prevent me from leaving early today.
Not really. Your supervisor has to approve any leave requests. The supervisor may deny a request to use vacation leave or comp time if granting that leave will place an unreasonable burden on the department or work area.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
quote:
Not really. Your supervisor has to approve any leave requests. The supervisor may deny a request to use vacation leave or comp time if granting that leave will place an unreasonable burden on the department or work area.

Yep. Some supervisors would definitely have issues with people just leaving early.
DougMasters
AG
Sounds like you may need to get a new supervisor.
FlyRod
The supervisor might be thinking "Sounds like you'd be happier working somewhere else."
DougMasters
AG
Good point, that's also a viable option.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I dont know if that's directed at me, but I didn't complain about it. I just said some supervisors won't just let employees leave.
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
quote:
FlyRod
The taxpayers' dollars at work at the Big School.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
Sounds like you may need to get a new supervisor.

NM
w8liftr
If your absence doesn't affect your department, you either have poor job security or you're a high level administrator in public education (scholastic or collegiate).
InMyOpinion
Gotta love the state employee mentality.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I took a vacation day. Unless it's an official holiday expect to work normal schedule. If you need time off use your vacation. Not hard.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
I took a vacation day. Unless it's an official holiday expect to work normal schedule. If you need time off use your vacation. Not hard.

This.
I remember when they did get get a half day on Wednesday. Then, as a show of not wasting taxpayer money (pre Sharp), they changed to working the entire day.
Not a big deal.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
FlyRod
Blue star for techno-ag's profligate use of blue stars.
Expert Analysis
AG
Didn't the chancellors office take a half day?
justalocal
Yes, the chancellor did announce half day. The system offices such as TTI, TAES and I think TEEX and TEES are under the chancellor and not the university president, so those department heads usually follow the lead of the chancellor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.