The Silk Stocking

17,861 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jac4
ksp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see went all out with their remodel.

How in the heck did that color scheme get approved by city code?
csnole
KSP - exactly what I was thinking.... sure is an eye sore.
aggmaroon
AG
Bright pink and maroon. WTF? I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Lol
MiMi
S
quote:
How in the heck did that color scheme get approved by city code?

My understanding is that since they were built long before the UDO, they are grandfathered in. They can make some changes, like change paint color and add the fanciful concrete forms at the parking lot entrance, but if they want to do any substantial remodeling, they would have to meet current code.

This is what happened to the McDonald's sign on the corner of Texas and SW Pkwy when it was damaged in a storm. They couldn't repair it back to its original form since it would not meet current code, so they made due with what was not damaged.
ksp
surprised the city didn't find some loop hole to boot them out of town.
MiMi
S
I'm sure they are watching very closely. If they ever have to come up to code, it would mean having to relocate.
Post removed:
by user
GreenGuy
I think if you look at the UDO there are standards related to the amount of non allowed colors you can have. I think if is under 15 percent of the total building facade it is considered an accent color and is allowed. They should have gotten a plan approved though before it was allowed.
w8liftr
Still a Dirty Sock, no matter the color
CS78
Anybody else heard they might be making it full nude?
Duncan Idaho
I love that this place is still standing. I am surpised that some townie hasn't burned it down.
eloc62
obviously they are paying their taxes, bills, and employees, so they must be doing something right. i guess its easy to have a successful business in a town this size when you have no competition. btw, has it gotten any better? just wondering...
Stupe
S
quote:
Anybody else heard they might be making it full nude?
I don't think that they can. That is a completely different type of business model according to TABC and they would probably lose all of their grandfathered clauses and have to shut down. The adult bookstore on Texas faced the same issue when it still existed. At one point they were going to close the theater and operate as just a bookstore, but that would have changed the code and the city would have had a loophole to close it down.

That was a fun and odd discussion for a tech writing class.

halibut sinclair
ksp
quote:
I think if you look at the UDO there are standards related to the amount of non allowed colors you can have. I think if is under 15 percent of the total building facade it is considered an accent color and is allowed. They should have gotten a plan approved though before it was allowed.
agree, assuming if they had not, the city would have made them change it by now.
Cancelled
AG
Speaking of decorative columns...has anyone seen that horrendous construction going up near the Fitness Dome? I think it's going to be a funeral home.

Personally, I don't go to the SS, but I think I'd rather have that there than some cold mortuary. I can only imagine what that place is going to look like outside and inside from the fake decorative columns. I bet they will have laminated price sheets where you can choose from the Economy funeral all the way up to the Executive funeral.
Post removed:
by user
95_Aggie
AG
uh oh
MiMi
S
From that story, it appears that changing the existing paint colors to something not in the approved palette isn't allowed for grandfathered businesses. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.
kevmiller
That's a great example of the trash local media that is KBTX.
Why is that newsworthy?
They really have nothing better to report than a paint job on a local business?
Not to mention it's the top story on their website .. What a joke
halibut sinclair
That's a great example of KBTX using this site for story ideas.
csnole
I don't mind that KBTX did a story on this - it is providing some insight that no one on this board had yet to state. IMO the building looks trashy and is an eye sore - I hope the city forces them to change it and if they don't then I hope they take their establishment elsewhere.
montegobay
It is an eyesore. Each time they add something new, it seems like they are trying to go trashier and trashier.
ksp
I posted that and wondered if they got approval!
Stupe
S
quote:
Why is that newsworthy?
It's a great example of a local tv station doing a story about something....local.
In a town this size, yes.
Would you rather live in a town or city where the news broadcast were saturated with stories about rape, murder, theft, or other violent crimes? If so....move.
The fact that this can be the top story on a news website is good. A slow news day usually means that it was a good day.
FlyRod
Successful local businesses.
AgResearch
AG
Free advertising all at the cost of pink paint.
BCStalk
Lol...?
halibut sinclair
I went there once and saw some pretty cool stuff.
ksp
Amateur night and a $100 prize !!
Sticks&Stones
AG
quote:
quote:
Why is that newsworthy?
It's a great example of a local tv station doing a story about something....local.
In a town this size, yes.
Would you rather live in a town or city where the news broadcast were saturated with stories about rape, murder, theft, or other violent crimes? If so....move.
The fact that this can be the top story on a news website is good. A slow news day usually means that it was a good day.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
Amateur night and a $100 prize !!

And they keep the tips.

Talked a friend into doing this.
Our group of friends was larger than the rest of the crowd which helped her win (all the other "amateurs" looked like it was just their night off)

I think she left with ~$500 that night.
ksp
Since they are still painting the sides now, they either gave the finger to the city or won.
BlazeHarper
Are they going to paint the whole damn thing pink ? I do not have an issue that women are taking off their clothes I just take issue that the place they are doing it in is pink ! I am having to reorder my list of things that visually disturb me in this town

1. Silk Stocking
2. Those annoying LED signs at that University/6 realtor and that home builder near the dome (which is a testament to how much they do not work because I drive by it day and night and cannot name the builder...cannot even read the thing)
3. Any random sign offering to install Christmas lights, build a pool, get you out of debt, make money, etc
techno-ag
AG
The SS has taken steps to raise their brand awareness in the community lately. A while back they paid for billboards on 21 & 6 going into town advertising their services. Now they've resorted to an out of code paint scheme.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.