Local Old ipad Help

2,598 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by NashMan
Pyewacket
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My little one cracked the glass on a first generation ipad. Is that something that can be repaired by a local shop? I know Mac Resource has a history on the board.

If it cannot be repaired, you guys know of where I could purchase an older ipad? I am not giving kids anything that costs $500 to replace.

Thanks!!
UmustBKidding
Someone posted a WTB ipad in classified and there was a local offer of ipad1 with cellular for $125. The ipad 1 is limited to ios5 which means some games will no run.
The are a bunch of local iphone repair people who can repair it but the labor will likely make it close to what you can buy a working one for since they are stuck on old ios.
My recommendation is buy the part and do it yourself.
Pyewacket
AG
how do I replace the screen my self? Post in Nerdery?
UmustBKidding
Youtube is your friend about 1,000,000 videos. Can get a kit with digitzer and tools for ~$35 on amazon, ebay and others.
A bead box from a hobby store or walmart is helpful to keep parts in order and if old like me a set of mageyes are also helpful.
Local places (miphone dr, sour apples and others) do them but as I indicated before will push this over $100.
If I can help
My user name
at
Conspiracy
dot
net
PrincessButtercup
AG
If you're too worried to do it yourself and just want a local shop, miphone and sour apple are both awesome options though. And usually miphone gives you a discount through their Facebook page.
Pyewacket
AG
Thanks!! Kids Suck!!!!!
UmustBKidding
Most local places don't advertise fixing iPad 1's since you can buy a used one for $60. The screen is going to be $35 and not enough left in labor to make it worth messing with for them.
AggieBarstool
Most of the places in town that do iPod/iPhone repair will do iPads, too. There's one on Texas just south of Villa Maria that gets lots of
good reviews.
bushytailed
AG
MacResource - Ask for Mark or Anna.
dubi
AG
miphone doctor

MacResource will charge $$$$$$$.
lightswitch
+1 miphone doctor or DYI,

Too true about MacResource. I'd trash it, or part it out before letting them touch it.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
If you're too worried to do it yourself and just want a local shop, miphone and sour apple are both awesome options though. And usually miphone gives you a discount through their Facebook page.
This. MiPhone has fixed several for me. My kids seem to hate glass faces.
Pyewacket
AG
I don't think anyone will be able to fix it. Anyone know of a business or person willing to sell two older generation ipads? Nothing fancy or expensive. I think you are asking for it if you give small humans expensive breakables.

Thnxs
UmustBKidding
glyde has been the site to buy/sell iStuff for a long time. I would look there first. They do appear in the classified section ocasionally
justcallmeharry
S
I used Mac Resource for a newer IPad Mini - can't remember, but it was close to 200 bucks. They did a good job, but took about 8 days instead of 3 or 4. They did a great job. I chose to repair my son's IPad, yes, he cracked the screen, rather than replace it, because of all the apps that were already installed/paid for on the device.

I just did not have the time, or so I thought, to look into other shops when I got it fixed. The turnaround was so long, that I could have done it.

Harry...
dubi
AG
quote:
I used Mac Resource for a newer IPad Mini - can't remember, but it was close to 200 bucks.

The part is $69.95 and it takes about 15 minutes to replace the battery (faster if you do it frequently). That is why I won't use MacResource.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
quote:
I used Mac Resource for a newer IPad Mini - can't remember, but it was close to 200 bucks.

The part is $69.95 and it takes about 15 minutes to replace the battery (faster if you do it frequently). That is why I won't use MacResource.
miPhone Doctor is less expensive, faster and does better work.

A while back, Mac Resources replaced the screen on one of our iPads. The kids cracked the screen a second time, and I took it to miPhone Doctor. They fixed it in a couple of hours, and they told me it took "so long" because they had to remove a bunch of glue which had been spread in the interior during an "earlier repair" -- the repair undertaken by Mac Resources.
Pyewacket
AG
Where is Mi Phone Doctor? Also, Mac Resource has refurbished ipads for sale. Should I buy from them?

Thanks for all the replies. The Tech support/Orderly here is always in a helicopter and unreachable.
dubi
AG
quote:
Where is Mi Phone Doctor?

miphone doctor

quote:
Also, Mac Resource has refurbished ipads for sale. Should I buy from them?

I'd buy a refurb from apple. You get the full warranty that way.
Cabrito Loco
I replaced the screen on an iPad 1 a few weeks ago. Ordered the screen from eBay (complete with most of the required tools) for around 30 bucks and it took around 15-20 minutes to complete the repair (and I had no idea on what I was doing other than watching a few YouTube videos).

I would suggest just watching a video and see if it is something that you feel comfortable trying. If not, then if your work has a resident IT guy, ask them if they would mind doing it. Most techies I know would enjoy the challenge, but you could also sweeten the pot with a coupon for lunch to cover their time.
justcallmeharry
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

miPhone Doctor is less expensive, faster and does better work.

A while back, Mac Resources replaced the screen on one of our iPads. The kids cracked the screen a second time, and I took it to miPhone Doctor. They fixed it in a couple of hours, and they told me it took "so long" because they had to remove a bunch of glue which had been spread in the interior during an "earlier repair" -- the repair undertaken by Mac Resources.
My post was probably confusing - I know very little about these IPads. My son cracked the glass - the digitizer also had to be replaced. I checked the link above and the part that was used was $99.95 on that site.

I am sure these other places are less expensive and it sure sounds like they have quicker turnaround. I would definitely try miPhone Doctor before going back to Mac Resource.

ETA - Mac Resource's invoice was more than their estimate - they charged me for the estimate. I will give them credit for that.

Harry...
NashMan
quote:
They did a great job. I chose to repair my son's IPad, yes, he cracked the screen, rather than replace it, because of all the apps that were
already installed/paid for on the device.

That is really a non issue. I broke my ipad by dropping it - the wifi no longer worked.

I backed it up on itunes, though. I bought an ipad mini because of the price. When I turned on the new Ipad, I had the option of a fresh setup or cloning my previous ipad. I did this, and EVERYTHING was exactly the same. All my programs and profiles, etc. It was exactly like the old one and I lost nothing.

Just an FYI if there is a next time
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.