Cleaning a Down Comforter

2,543 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Texas Ag Mom
TARDIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My moron dog decided to hop up on my white down comforter with his muddy paws while I was in the shower.

I was always told down comforters are dry clean only, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience otherwise? I googled some, and it seems like people have successfully washed theirs in their own washing machines. I'd certainly appreciate any tips or suggestions!

The tag has been long since torn off, so there are no instructions to go by. If I could get away without having to spend $60+ bucks at the dry cleaner, I would be thrilled!
BCStalk
Do not put it in the washer. It makes it lumpy and ruins the comforter. Dry clean is the only way to keep it fluffy.
Scruffy
AG
I've found the key is use a commercial dryer and toss in a few tennis balls.

Take it to Harvey washbanger's and use the extra large washer.
Then use their dryer and toss in 2-3 tennis balls.
The balls bouncing around will prevent lumps/clumping.
Scruffy
AG
Also,
Invest in a cover for it. That way, unless someone spills something that soaks in (urine, drinks, etc.), you only have to wash the cover.
TARDIS
AG
Great! Thank y'all for the help!
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
I've found the key is use a commercial dryer and toss in a few tennis balls.

Take it to Harvey washbanger's and use the extra large washer.
Then use their dryer and toss in 2-3 tennis balls.
The balls bouncing around will prevent lumps/clumping.

I never knew the tennis ball trick but undo think the commercial washer helps immensely if you don't dry clean. I took mine to Harvey washbangers as well.
BCStalk
Good info. I attempted the home washer. Also did not know they had covers for my cover. Thanks for the advice.
Jayjay4268
AG
it's still not free, but I took a queen size down comforter to pride cleaners a few weeks ago and it was only $20. would rather spend that than risk having to buy a new one!
Max06
AG
I've only washed mine in my home washer. It does come out of the dryer a tad lumpy, but the lumps can be fairly easily shaken out.
Post removed:
by user
Texas Ag Mom
I have washed mine a lot in a large commercial washer. I also use the tennis balls in the dryer but if it is nice outside I let it air dry & then use the dryer/TB to fluff it. Sometimes only using the "air" setting on the dryer. I think you need to be careful about how hot the dryer gets. I did one time "scorch" a down comforter in the dryer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.