Why would anybody want to be annexed by CS?

5,041 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Mr. Griswold
Magic Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just read that cocs is looking to grab more land in wellborn. There seems to be little benefit to those getting annexed, other than a lighter wallet. Why would anyone want to get annexed?
marrocco
I believe the city offers a plate of free cookies for those annexed.
Tagguy
AG
Annex cookies are so tasty
aggiepaintrain
AG
Indian Lakes ....you're NEXT.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
Indian Lakes ....you're NEXT.

We all know CS is in a race with Houston to see who will annex Hempstead first
duffelpud
AG
History repeating itself over again /berra

Tagguy
AG
quote:
History repeating itself over again /berra

91_Aggie
AG
It did feel a little like Bastogne-type weather this week.
95_Aggie
AG
I clicked on this thread because I just knew there would be a duffelpud graphic.
UmustBKidding
To participate in funding what ever is the latest College Station boondoggle, why else. It not like everyone out here moved to GTFO of College Station. Oh what, that is exactly why they moved here. I personally am looking forward to the following:

Being serviced out of a Fire station 10x further away that has no brush truck. This is unless they get the money in next years bond election for a new station to cover the poor people that were screwed in the Wellborn annexation that they said was well covered with existing infrastructure.
Going back to the hours long wait for a police call I had when I lived in CS, vs the typical 5 minute response from the Sheriff.
Paying much more for things I already have like trash collection and recycling.
Having great services like code enforcement, urban planning among others that no one wants. We have a problem we knock on our neighbors door.
Paying for things like alarm permits, building permits and general bureaucratic nonsense that CS desires to meddle in.
Receiving not a single desirable service, and lots of undesirable services from CS while paying them ~$3000 yr in additional taxes.
I fully understand that this grab is to put others south of here like Brentwood, Sedona, Duck Haven and Saddle Creek in range of the ETJ that have real revenue potential because of their density.

SumAggie
"I'm from the guv'mint and I'm here to help."
Tailgate88
AG
UmustBKidding
PS3D
Quail Run's luck may have run out.
Oogway
Is there a link to the info or should i just check the city's website?
techno-ag
AG
IIRC Nancy Berry was opposed to annexation of Wellborn at one time.
techno-ag
AG
Anna Molly
quote:
Is there a link to the info or should i just check the city's website?
No need. You can find everything you need to know about annexation right here on TexAgs.
Carnwellag2
hardly anyone wants to be annexed by a city. people would much rather live next to the city without paying the city property taxes.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
hardly anyone wants to be annexed by a city. people would much rather live next to the city without paying the city property taxes.

Yup. Live outside the city, don't pay city taxes. It's a great arrangement. Works for states & countries, too. Geography!
FlyRod
The wisdom of the ages.
rcannaday
AG
Forget this slow annexation crap, just annex a couple thousand acres and get it over with. Welcome to city family folks!
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Forget this slow annexation crap, just annex a couple thousand acres and get it over with. Welcome to city family folks!

I think they're limited by law how many acres per year they can grab.
Post removed:
by user
UmustBKidding
There are ways they can annex up to 10% of the current area of the city but it requires a plan. Plan is a bad word to the likes of Lance Simms planning director of College Station. It means you have to do extra work, try to be fair to the residents being annexed lest they have recourse to be deannexed. It takes up to three years, what you want is exempt procedure, usually the 100 tracts option. Basically if you have less than 100 lots with one or more residents you can have your way with them. You have to carefully gerrymander the lines lest your exempt procedure could be ruled non exempt. This case is really great for them since they plan to provide nothing that the residents don't have access to already. Its just extra cash to them.
I think the CSFD is great but they admit that they can't cover this area properly without a new station, and that the new station is needed to properly protect the area they already annexed almost four years ago that includes the town of Wellborn.
The police as part of their existing patrols must drive down Greens Prairie Tr so this is basically a sunk cost and will only minimally affect their already overbooked department.
So things that some consider desirable like Sewer and Fire hydrants are not going to happen. Since there are some houses currently in CS that don't have sewer and these are similar (have walls, doors and roofs similar) they don't have to provide it. They say they can't do fire hydrants but what they mean is they would have to pay Wellborn SDU for them and that this procedure is about revenue not cost or being fair to residents.
So this is the typically College Station dance, Annex as much as you can without much initial cost, then when the bills hit, in this case the sewer infrastructure to cover their Wellborn obligations, annex more to raise the revenue so they don't end up in a property tax roll back situation.
The COCS & CSISD collude to keep bond elections in different years. 2015 was COCS year but CSISD indicated they needed to move their 2016 up. Will be interesting to see what gets funded if they have to go head to head. I suspect I will be given the opportunity to again vote against they new city hall and the like all of us will likely be assimilated by then.

UmustBKidding
Sorry to break it to you but HOA's provide no protection.
Political favors or Blackmail seem to be the best if not only protection.

duffelpud
AG
quote:
Political favors or Blackmail
For our 5 million new 'citizens' that means "mordida".
Post removed:
by user
Tagguy
AG
quote:
Sorry to break it to you but HOA's provide no protection.

No clue why anyone would believe that they would. If they did offer any sort of 'protection' or have any significant say in the matters we would wind up with a map looking like swiss cheese with tiny pockets of unincorporated subdivisions surrounded by a city.
techno-ag
AG
One thing HOAs can do is offer more restrictions than the city. Maybe that's what Slocum was thinking.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:

The city doesn't want to annex undeveloped land as they will get less tax money from that and slow down development in that area because of higher costs and city regulations.

It's better to wait until it is developed and Bam! Instant big increase in tax base
Oogway
Would some of the annexation be due to the future development by CSISD of additional school buildings? Schools need some sort of infrastructure don't they? I'm speculating, but is the City able to have zoning regs in areas they have not yet acquired? If they are not, then annexation might keep a gentleman's club from being adjacent to a school or something?

I don't know if I can get the link to work, but it looks like they might have some hearings in the future:

http://blog.cstx.gov/author/cityofcs/

If the link doesn't work, it is the CoCS blog and about four items from the top; powerpoint presentation.
Tagguy
AG
quote:
Would some of the annexation be due to the future development by CSISD of additional school buildings? Schools need some sort of infrastructure don't they? I'm speculating, but is the City able to have zoning regs in areas they have not yet acquired? If they are not, then annexation might keep a gentleman's club from being adjacent to a school or something?

Don't hate. Everyone knows they don't pay teachers very well. Sometimes they need a second job....
Oogway
Well, I walked right into that one. Seriously, would zoning be one of the reasons?
Post removed:
by user
Mr. Griswold
My understanding is that CS classifies residential lots >1 acre as "acreage" and does not provide them with gas and sewer service. Hence the reason why Bird Pond Estates has propane and septic, as I imagine do many other areas in town.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.