College Station Fence Repair

12,417 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by originaltexan
MaysAggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Best company to replace our side fence and gate? It was built by RAM is is now rotting and falling over.

TIA
betas2000
AG
Call J 979-575-0970 with Tropical Landscaping, he recently replaced my whole fence and used metal posts for better support
originaltexan
If your budget allows:

Get metal posts set in concrete

Stain / Seal the fence a few weeks after it goes up
ksp
Super easy DIY project if you have time and a 25% handy.
MaysAggie2015
I just need a company. It is a rental. Any recs?
ksp
Not Ram lol. Sounds to big a job for the little time I have. I would call the above number. If you want it to last three runners instead of two. Metal post like stated above OR treated 4 x 4 with the concrete ABOVE the ground around the 4 x 4 post.

DO NOT let anybody use landscape timbers again like Ram.
ksp
or maybe Ace fencing, be specific with what you want!
PebbleCreekster
Stay away from ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
justalocal
I believe Aggieland did the repairs on our old home. Young kid, did a good job at decent price plus he showed up. Our first contact was to Garcia and they were a no show.
69ag
Jason of Green Guys Landscaping. 979-571-4811. Aggie owned and operated.
BlazeHarper
We need to have community fence building gatherings like the Amish do when they raise a barn. However might want to add music. moderate alcohol consumption and occasional inappropriate language when someone is injured.
AggieBB
AG
quote:

This!
75AG
AG
quote:
quote:

This!
Why?
AggieBB
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This!
Why?

Cause they are garbage. They don't even cement their posts in the ground so after just a few years your fence will be falling over. Ask me how I know...
75AG
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This!
Why?

Cause they are garbage. They don't even cement their posts in the ground so after just a few years your fence will be falling over. Ask me how I know...
They DON'T cement the posts??? How in the hell do they stay in business?
RainAg89
Big Ed at Denali Fence (979)220-1486
tbone94
AG
Gold fence is excellent. Out of Caldwell
jmazz
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This!
Why?

This is entirely not true...at least not today. I don't know how old your fence is but if it was built in the past 7.5 years...I'm 99% certain your posts were concreted in and if they weren't you should call and speak with the current owner (the younger guy, Jason...I bet he'd pay you a visit). I can't speak for Ace prior to 7.5 years ago b/c it wasn't the same owner at that time.

Regarding landscape timbers used as posts...that typically isn't the fence company's call...whether it be Ace, Ram or whoever. That's the builder's call (or maybe even the home owner) and the builder's attempt to cut costs and put more money in their pocket...no surprise. Landscape timbers don't last but a few years...maybe a handful if you're lucky...and when they rot they rot at ground level...above where the concrete might have stopped. So they'll break flush with the ground and unless you go digging you might not ever see or know of any concrete. Another problem is that fences are usually marked off and sometimes built prior to the landscape/sod work being done (irrigation designed around where the fence will be). By the time the lot has sand added, grade work, sod installed, etc...your fence post has been buried a little and the concrete is now further down than originally and also subject to quicker rotting.

Ace does fence for a number of builders and developers (they've been doing fence for one of the largest student developments in this town and they're using metal posts (at the developer's request)). If they didn't concrete posts they wouldn't have that business and they wouldn't be in business.
medic1969p
T Ritchey with Glory Enterprises does a great job on fence repair and he's very affordable. 979-218-2335
PebbleCreekster
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This!
Why?

This is entirely not true...at least not today. I don't know how old your fence is but if it was built in the past 7.5 years...I'm 99% certain your posts were concreted in and if they weren't you should call and speak with the current owner (the younger guy, Jason...I bet he'd pay you a visit). I can't speak for Ace prior to 7.5 years ago b/c it wasn't the same owner at that time.

Regarding landscape timbers used as posts...that typically isn't the fence company's call...whether it be Ace, Ram or whoever. That's the builder's call (or maybe even the home owner) and the builder's attempt to cut costs and put more money in their pocket...no surprise. Landscape timbers don't last but a few years...maybe a handful if you're lucky...and when they rot they rot at ground level...above where the concrete might have stopped. So they'll break flush with the ground and unless you go digging you might not ever see or know of any concrete. Another problem is that fences are usually marked off and sometimes built prior to the landscape/sod work being done (irrigation designed around where the fence will be). By the time the lot has sand added, grade work, sod installed, etc...your fence post has been buried a little and the concrete is now further down than originally and also subject to quicker rotting.

Ace does fence for a number of builders and developers (they've been doing fence for one of the largest student developments in this town and they're using metal posts (at the developer's request)). If they didn't concrete posts they wouldn't have that business and they wouldn't be in business.
Are you one of the owners?????
jmazz
AG
^ Nope...you can click my Maroon Book link below to learn about who I am and what I do. But I do know the owner and don't like when incorrect information is spread. I would hope my friends have my back as well.
BMo
I can back up what jmazz says. Is Mike no longer at ACE?
jmazz
AG
I think Mike is still co-owner. The other co-owner is Jason, his son-in-law.
AggieBB
AG
quote:

And you "entirely" do not know what you are talking about. My house was built in 2009 and the posts were mounted in the ground. Had they been mounted in cement, they would not be rotting at ground level causing my fence to lean several feet into my neighbors property. I hope you dont make such ridiculous claims to your real estate clients, because I'm 99% certain you wont make it in this town by spouting off about something you know nothing about.
jmazz
AG
^ Call and talk to Jason if that's the case.

http://www.acefencebcs.com

They cement 100% of their posts and if a job was done incorrectly they need to know. If you want his cell...call, text or email me and I will give it to you. My contact info can be accessed via the link below.

I assure you I'm not just making stuff up. Come on now.
ksp
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This!
Why?

The proper way to cement a post is to put the cement 2-3 inches above ground so they don't rot. Even if they are using cement there is 100% a wrong way to do it. Ram did this and when I dug up old post the cement was 4 inches below the surface.

I put up my own fences. I use 4x4 treated lumber and put concrete above ground level. My first house on windswept in college station has the original fence I put over 20 years with all original wood. Again right and wrong way s to do it. MOST local fence companies do it WRONG even when using landscape timbers. Regardless whether it is the builders call to use landscape timbers or not. Pride and workmanship appears to not be the case with ram and ace with all fences I repaired behind them. I have helped many a friend and relative who have bought houses done by them. It is the exact same thing each and every time.
jmazz
AG
^ Could be the case. There's a difference between not using concrete at all versus not using it correctly. I'm not here to argue that.

AggieBB...Jason said if you're 100% certain there is zero concrete...call him and he will replace your entire fence.

I just got you a free fence. You're welcome.
75AG
AG
AggieBB, please let us know how things work out! I'm looking to replace fence in the next few months. Also, please don't chicken-out. Make the call!
ksp
quote:
^ Could be the case. There's a difference between not using concrete at all versus not using it correctly. I'm not here to argue that.

Agree with this also
JP76
Aggiebb

Who was your home builder ?
Gigem2day
AggieBB, this is Jason, the owner of Ace Fence. I wanted to reach out to you and let you know what JMazz said is true. We do concrete our posts and chances are you got a house with LSTs (landscape timbers). That being said, I understand it was built in '09 and that would mean we would've set your posts before the grass and landscape was done. This means that your grass was laid over any concrete we would've put in he ground. It's been 5 years and that grass has grown up and those posts have broken off at ground level like you said. I would venture to guess that there's a decent amount of concrete under the ground a few inches. All you have to do is check. Or better yet, call me and I will check it for you. And as JMazz stated, if there is no concrete then you get a free fence for Christmas. If there is concrete under that grass then unfortunately your builder opted for a crappy LST fence and I would expect an apology from you for making false accusations. Like another said, don't chicken out. All you have to lose is an apology. But you could gain a free fence. Your call.

One of you asked how the hell we stay in business, well it's because we do use concrete and we take a lot of pride in our products and services and we aim to please all of you. Check out our website www.acefencebcs.com and feel free to contact us. Especially you AggieBB, I'd love to settle this and move on.

Jason DeVore
BRIANVD04
AG
Props to the owner himself reaching out and trying to settle this. Speaks loudly about his character and integrity, not to mention his reputation in this community. Ace didn't build our fence, but when I need work done you can guarantee I'll be calling Ace.
Don't crawfish now AggieBB, call him and I'm sure if what you said is true, it'll be a win-win for everybody.
75AG
AG
Hey AggieBB, it's been almost 24 hrs. Have you made the call yet?
Gigem2day
quote:
Props to the owner himself reaching out and trying to settle this. Speaks loudly about his character and integrity, not to mention his reputation in this community. Ace didn't build our fence, but when I need work done you can guarantee I'll be calling Ace.
Don't crawfish now AggieBB, call him and I'm sure if what you said is true, it'll be a win-win for everybody.

Thank you!
Gigem2day
quote:
Hey AggieBB, it's been almost 24 hrs. Have you made the call yet?

To my knowledge he has not....we shall see. And in all fairness, I'm not trying to drag him into a situation he's not comfortable with. I truly want to resolve his issue and change the taste in his mouth regarding Ace Fence. We haven't been doing fences for more than 37 years because of poor practices or shoddy workmanship. I hope they do reach out and we can amicably resolve the issue.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.