Mistletoe removal

1,541 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by understandingmom
ontheedge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a tree with mistletoe that gets thicker every year. I'm afraid it will eventually kill the tree. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone that can remove it. Possibly even someone that sells it at Christmas. TIA
carpe vinum
AG
virtually impossible to remove, herbicides will affect the host tree as well as everything below and around it, individually cutting each piece off is difficult and dangerous and it usually just grows back. Enjoy it, invite a person you want to get cozy with to stand under it with you.
rsa
AG
What carpe vinum said. The good folks at the Texas Forest Service do have some info: http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu/main/popup.aspx?id=1277. They close with
quote:
So, what do you do with mistletoe? Enjoy it, because you probably won't be able to successfully eliminate it from your tree. Try to get your sweetheart to stand with you under a mistletoe-infected tree, and steal a kiss!
carpe vinum
AG
that's where I got the info!
I read up to see if there even was a way to kill it.
ontheedge
Thanks for the info. I had read last year that there was a herbicide for MT but it wouldn't get rid of it permanently. Nothing will from what I have read. I'd still like to have it either treated or cut out. Anyone else with a service that may do this?
91_Aggie
AG
to get rid of you essentially have to cut off the branches it is growing on.
mmj1407
Planning to do anything fun with it? Give it out to people for Christmas or maybe some organization or farm to pass it out?

I work with KAGS and would be interested in covering this!

E-mail me:

ccosta@kagstv.com

Thanks!

Chris
carpe vinum
AG
Now we know just how slow of a news day it is.
mmj1407
Today isn't an anomaly.
GoneGirl
AG
IIFC some of the local scouts used to bag it and sell it as a fundraiser.

Reminds me to go harvest some from my parents trees. Remember to keep it away from kids and pets.
ontheedge
Chris, no I'm just wanting to get rid of it.

Some smaller branches could be removed but many could not. I realize it would come back and I would have to repeat the process in a few years but that is ok with me.

No one knows of anyone that could remove/spray?

BTW with my honey "we don't need no stinking misletoe".
carpe vinum
AG
Call Derek link, he'll probably do it if the price is right. He'll rent a little cherry picker and get up there with a pruner or spray it with round up.
cledus6150
AG
If it is dwarf mistle toe which it sounds like it is you are virtually screwed and will probably never get rid of it. If you cut the branches it is on off it will just pop up somewhere else in the tree. This is de to how the plant attaches itself to the tree. My suggestion would be to just leave it alone, the tree will last much much longer if the mistle toe is not messed with.
understandingmom
If you still have this and wouldn't mind giving some away i would love a little.
Gvsa_mdue@yahoo.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.