Wolf Brand Chili

12,578 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieHandymanBlake
HomerSimpson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is up with the grocery stores in this town and Wolf Brand Chili? Seems to be then only kind of canned chili you can buy in this town. WBC is equal to dog food.
carpe vinum
AG
What if I told you that there are other noncanned kinds of chili?
K2T2
Homer Simpson complain about food?! That's unpossible!
Tailgate88
AG
Canned chili? No thanks...

A good pot of homemade venison chili is one of the greatest things in life...
Rex Racer
AG
You can get Hormel in many stores, as well.
PBR
Homer.....You looking for some attention?
Prune Tracy
Amy's Organic - okay for canned food. It's usually not with the chili, but the organic stuff.
turfman80
AG
Neighbor, how long has it been since you had a good, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili? Well, that's too long!
techno-ag
AG
If only we had a local festival celebrating chili, where teams could compete with their own recipes. We could round up some country acts, meet in a field outside Snook, and consume copious quantities of beer!

And all the money raised could go to charity.
95_Aggie
AG
I don't think you an buy ChiliFest chili in grocery stores
Magic Mike
Why would you want to eat vomit flavored chili?
befitter
Read the sodium levels in that crap.
FlyRod
Pretty sure people don't eat chili for its health properties.
bubba_joe
In 1895, a Mexican range cook working for Lyman T. Davis of Corsicana, Texas developed the original recipe for Wolf Brand Chili. It became popular
so Mr. Davis began to sell it for five cents a bowl from the back of a
wagon parked on the streets in downtown Corsicana.
I bought a can I thought I had just got a bad batch of Wolf Brand Chili near a decade ago. The stuff was watery & the meat was not as chunky. The original recipe used to be thick and meaty, one could put it on a hot dog & not loose a drop now it just runs off.
ConAgra Foods, Inc bought the brand & has introduced the new Reconstituted Wolf brand chili, the new Reconstituted Wolf brand chili is no longer what it once was, it is obvious that ConAgra changed the recipe to save money.

COMPANY NEWS; CONAGRA TO BUY BEANS AND CHILI BRANDS FROM QUAKER
Published: May 3, 1995
Conagra Inc., the processed foods giant whose products include Wesson vegetable oil and Hunt ketchup, said yesterday that it had agreed to buy Van Camp's canned beans and Wolf brand chili businesses from the Quaker Oats Company. Terms were not disclosed. The businesses have annual sales of $180 million.
HomerSimpson
I didn't have time to make my own and was hoping there might just be a good canned alternative. There was not. Just really surprised at just how WBC dominated the grocery store shelves over any others. That stuff is so crappy.
AggieBB
AG
Lol @ good canned chili.
mil393
Best is homemade! But, Village Foods carries Owens Chili in the cold cuts section. It is the best bought chili I have found.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Neighbor, how long has it been since you had a good, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili? Well, that's too long!

Get a rope!

Oops, wrong advertisement.
FlyRod
JFLOVEU
Scruffy
AG
I thought this was a thread on the GB until I just looked.
halibut sinclair
quote:
quote:

Get a rope!
Advocating hate crimes against yankees? Not cool, techo.
CalAG
AG
quote:
In 1895, a Mexican range cook working for Lyman T. Davis of Corsicana, Texas developed the original recipe for Wolf Brand Chili. It became popular
so Mr. Davis began to sell it for five cents a bowl from the back of a
wagon parked on the streets in downtown Corsicana.
I bought a can I thought I had just got a bad batch of Wolf Brand Chili near a decade ago. The stuff was watery & the meat was not as chunky. The original recipe used to be thick and meaty, one could put it on a hot dog & not loose a drop now it just runs off.
ConAgra Foods, Inc bought the brand & has introduced the new Reconstituted Wolf brand chili, the new Reconstituted Wolf brand chili is no longer what it once was, it is obvious that ConAgra changed the recipe to save money.

COMPANY NEWS; CONAGRA TO BUY BEANS AND CHILI BRANDS FROM QUAKER
Published: May 3, 1995
Conagra Inc., the processed foods giant whose products include Wesson vegetable oil and Hunt ketchup, said yesterday that it had agreed to buy Van Camp's canned beans and Wolf brand chili businesses from the Quaker Oats Company. Terms were not disclosed. The businesses have annual sales of $180 million.
If you think Wolf Brand was some sort of premium brand of chili before ConAgra bought them then you are sadly mistaken. I worked at the plant in the summer of 1997 as in intern doing process engineering. That is when I learned that most of the 'beef' in that chili is actually rolled oats. This isn't surprising given the fact that it was previously owned by a company with the word OATS in their name. Substituting oats for meat in the chili was done because it had a similar texture to the meat AND was a LOT cheaper than industrial grade ground beef.

I can tell you that after working at that food processing plant, I will NEVER eat those two products. Even though I am completely sure that EVERY canning facility operates in mostly the same manner.
Diamond Geezer
quote:
quote:

I can tell you that after working at that food processing plant, I will NEVER eat those two products. Even though I am completely sure that EVERY canning facility operates in mostly the same manner.

Which two products?
CalAG
AG
Wolf brand chili and Van Camps baked beans
Marlin39m
Y'all don't know what you are missing. A can of WB chili poured over a plate of rice is power fuel for the soul!
Scruffy
AG
quote:
Y'all don't know what you are missing. A can of WB chili poured over a plate of rice is power fuel for the soul!
FlyRod
Its fuel for something...something that can be addressed with Imodium and Pepto Bismol.
ksp
Mix with queso is the only edible way to eat it.
jh88ag
AG
quote:
Owens Chili in the cold cuts section. It is the best bought chili I have found.
This. If you are not going to make homemade, this is way better than canned.
originaltexan
Could you give us the 411 on the beans? I don't see how they can get jacked, but maybe there is something I should know.
eloc62
same question about the beans. its beans with sometimes a small square white thing in there that i guess is supposed to be the pork. as for WBC, if there is no good canned chili, what do you use i when you give your kids chili cheese dogs? it cant be any worse than any chili cheese dog that you might order from any fast food place here in town. seems like every time i go to the grocery store and they are low on hot dog buns, they are also low on WBC. not saying... just saying.
Kashchei
AG
quote:
+2
bubba_joe
quote:
If you think Wolf Brand was some sort of premium brand of chili before ConAgra bought them then you are sadly mistaken. I worked at the plant in the summer of 1997 as in intern doing process engineering. That is when I learned that most of the 'beef' in that chili is actually rolled oats. This isn't surprising given the fact that it was previously owned by a company with the word OATS in their name. Substituting oats for meat in the chili was done because it had a similar texture to the meat AND was a LOT cheaper than industrial grade ground beef.

It was sold in 1995 not 1997
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

It was sold in 1995 not 1997

And boom goes the dynamite!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.