If you are alone or have nowhere to go on Thanksgiving

12,080 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by aggieparent
Birddog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good stuff there!
techno-ag
dubi
AG
Awesome
Scruffy
gigem70
AG
Great thing to do on Thanksgiving.
TowerAg90
AG
Elite, you're good people.
EliteElectric
Boneheads and Eccell, thanks for the generous offers but we went it alone again this year. One day, hopefully, it will grow to a point where I need a little help but for this year we could handle it. Again, honored and humbled by the offers.

Staff you can go ahead and un-sticky this, thank you for allowing it.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Nicely done, EE.

Edit that was supposed to be a blue star.
Agsroll
AG
Awesome
AggiePirate
AG
Goodonya
gettingitdone
GREAT NEWS!!! Warms my heart and brought tears to my eyes. Hope you had some students show up that were not able to make it home to their families.
EliteElectric
It was a mix of people, it's don't ask don't tell. There were older folks and college aged folks as well.

Years ago when I was a poor kid, some 700 miles from home, I couldn't afford to go home for Thanksgiving like all of my friends. All of my friends went home and I found myself alone on Thanksgiving, walking around campus feeling as low as an 18 year old can possibly feel. I ended up eating at a "Luby's" type place, and, there were a few of us poor souls in there, eating alone and alone in our thoughts. I had recently lost my best friend to a car wreck and my grandfather to old age. It was really hard being alone, feeling alone, that was a feeling I never wanted to feel again. It is forever burned into my memory, that sadness, that melancholy feeling of loss and isolation.

Years later, while my baby bro was attending school here, he asked if one of his friends, a Chinese student, could come for thanksgiving as he had nowhere to go and didn't really understand the concept. I said sure, the more the merrier. Well, they must have posted a flyer at the foreign student center because that day we had about 10 foreign students for thanksgiving, we demonstrated the true spirit of American Thanksgiving and that's how it all started. That was around 97 or 98.

Some years there are more, some less, we have had as many as 33 strangers at our house for a meal and companionship. It's something my family likes to do for the community and hopefully it will continue to grow to a point where nobody in Aggieland is alone on thanksgiving unless they want to be.
betas2000
AG
You are a good man, may God bless you and your family!!!!
techno-ag
originaltexan
I bet this grows into an annual tradition. One day, when the number of guests = 150+, you will look back and say remember when we had 15 people show up.
EliteElectric
quote:
I bet this grows into an annual tradition. One day, when the number of guests = 150+, you will look back and say remember when we had 15 people show up.
I remember one year we had 1
BlueMiles
AG
originaltexan, earlier he posted:

quote:
This makes 15+ years of us doing this, everyone is welcome, believers/nonbelievers, punkers/square dancers, cats/dogs, democrats/republicans, iOS/Android, vegans/carnivores, living/dead, cops/robbers etc.
aggieparent
Bless you for your kind heart! I love hearing stories like this. Aggieland is a special place, and you are one of the ones that make it that way. Also bless the businesses that offered to help you.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.