Mooyah

14,366 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Agsroll
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tried it today it was pretty good. 11 bucks for single meat burger fries and medium drink. Will probably go back. Anyone else try it?
PrincessButtercup
AG
I didn't even know it was a chain. I had it a few times in Dallas, but I don't remember enjoying it much. Just surprised a McDonalds was replaced.
95_Aggie
AG
The McDonald's moved across the highway
PrincessButtercup
AG
Ohhh gotcha.
meanmom
My family ate there last night. We got it to go. Our
cheese burgers were good, the fries were way to
salty to eat.
Cancelled
AG
Whenever I see it, I think of Mooby's from Jay and Silent Bob.
jrhmc
AG
I tried it today for lunch and it was good although I probably won't order the sweet potato fries again. I didn't like whatever seasoning they added to them. It is a bit expensive for lunch to me but we'll probably go sometime for a quick dinner.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I shan't try it until I hear about it from The Bard of the Brazos, The Frequentor of First Time Reviews, The Ye Olde Yelper, himself.
MiMi
S
quote:
I shan't try it until I hear about it from The Bard of the Brazos, The Frequentor of First Time Reviews, The Ye Olde Yelper, himself.
He's probably pouting in his room because he didn't get the FTR for this place.
rsa
AG
quote:
He's probably pouting in his room because he didn't get the FTR for this place.

Betcha he bullies Yelp to remove the FTR post and replace it!
AgSportsFan
AG
Went a few days ago. The cheeseburgers and fries (not too salty IMO) were excellent. They had plenty of people working and service was great.
phatpat21
Going to try it Friday, look forward to it! Is there a drive thru?
PS3D
Does it still have access to the convenience store, or was it sealed off?
Buck Laughlin
AG
There is still access to the store from inside.

There is a window in back with a "Pickup" sign, so I imagine it will be call-ins only. There was a truck, tools, and construction debris blocking the lane last night, though, so I'm not sure that window is open yet.

Much like Five Guys, the food took several minutes to prepare (two burgers and fries took 10-15 minutes), so I don't think a traditional drive through would work well.
SARATOGA
I know it is not EXACTLY the same thing, but not sure the market will agree.

WhatABurger is right behind Mooyah.

I'm not sure if this will work.....we'll see I guess.
originaltexan
Mooyah kind of like 5 Guys and Smash..

Proven concept & history.

They will make it.
MiMi
S
Went for dinner tonight. They had a pretty good crowd and handled it well. The burgers and fries were very good. Kids loved the shakes. We will definitely be back soon.
phatpat21
My wife and I tried it tonight and we both loved it. Cheeseburger was good and the fries were awesome! A little on the salty side but really good and fresh. I ordered online, and they didn't make my fries until I arrived, which was nice. Was greeted by friendly staff. Everyone was upbeat and smiling, which is what I personally love to see. Will definitely be back
there were skittles in there!
wendyb
Fries too salty, burger okay, shakes were $4.50... Too expensive. Better places. My husband loves it and has been 3 days in a row. Great employees.
eloc62
went there today for lunch for the first time. gotta say,double meat cheese burger was very good. juicy, and not overcooked. did not get any fries, but love sweet potato fries if they are not over salted. may try them next time. will go back. wonder if you can order fries with no salt?
jrhmc
AG
I also love sweet potato fries but these had some kind of seasoning on them that did not work for me. Kind of a cumin kind of seasoning. I'll try them again if they can leave off the seasoning.
Aggie
AG
What kind of shakes do they have?
Is it actual ice cream ( not soft serve) that is made in house and blended or the sonic/ whataburger crap shakes?
For $4.50 it better be the real thing
eloc62
why do restaurants feel the need to season their fries with some weird seasoning? it's a french fry. heres some advice. fry them good. LIGHTLY season them with salt. serve them with ketchup. thats it. thats what we want. don't over think it.
birdman
Went there today. It was great. I would compare it to Five Guys Burger. Just a notch below, but that's what Mooyah is aiming for.

Burgers and fries were very good. Shakes were expensive, but excellent. They had a pretty good looking salad but I didn't try it.

Place was packed and they had tons of people working there. I'm sure they will reduce staff when things settle down. But they were real go-getters.
redchapterjubilee
Ate there Friday night. It was packed, took a while to get fed but the staff did a pretty good job of attending to everyone (though I heard a lot of grumbles from the people who hoped to get takeout quickly). Food was good. Definitely is Five Guys-esque. $10 for burger, fries and drink is a little pricey IMHO for what we had, but the food was good. Glad to have something else out there by us in-between Saltwater $$$ and Taco Bell $$$. And as much as I love Whataburger, it's nice to have the other option. We'll be back.
bcstx06
I think Mooyah's is also in the same category as Grub Burger Bar.
amanda04
AG
Other than the wait for your food, how has the waiting in line been? Just curious if I should try to go there soon or wait a few weeks to let it be not so popular.
MiMi
S
The line moved pretty quick. Most folks know what they want by the time they get to the counter.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Had lunch there today. That was a tasty burger. Yes, it was a little pricey (almost $11) so it will be a "every once in awhile" place for me.

The staff working the lunch shift was very cheerful and friendly.
Ronnie Gardocki
We went to the one that relatively new in Athens Texas a few months ago and thought it was pretty good. I agree with some of the other posters who said it's a little pricey for a regular sized burger meal.
Medi-Weightloss Clinics
Went to Mooyah this week with sons. Was busy with a big group in front of us. Took a while longer than idea (but less than I have waited elsewhere) to get our burger and fries out. They volunteered that the fries weren't the freshest (although they were hotter than many places serve) and said they would bring more in a few min. About 3 min later they brought hot fresh fries out for all of us - good customer service and recovery - didn't make us wait for our burgers when ready and hot and got good fries out. In general, I think they do some things better than 5 Guys and 5 Guys some things better than they do. Since I don't get to choose here, and they deliver a quality product, I'm all in on Mooyah. My biggest recommendation would be a more upscale setup for their second store if they build one - attached to a stop and rob doesn't follow the Mooyah pattern in the big cities.
Swarely
quote:

Ask, and ye shall receive.

quote:
OMG. Another burger joint. Yelp should be paying me for this.

The FTR is obviously a fake.

So here we go. This used to be a McDonald's and it's shared with the Exxon gas station. It has the best public restrooms in College Station. As in high end big city rated restrooms. Top notch restrooms that when hand washing might cause that saying "I'm a rich *****" to sneak into your mind.

As far as the food and service are concerned, I got some weird vibes from the un-naturally over-excited employees that reminded me of chain brainwashing similar to what was displayed in the 1993 film Falling Down with Michael Douglas. That joint was the Whammy Burger.

It's a total 5 Guys rip off or 5 guys ripped them off or whatever I don't care. They have boxes of Idaho potatoes out on display. Well, don't all potatoes come from Idaho anyway? Ever seen a potato from Canada or Mexico lately?

The menu is a ****ed up pain in the ass as it's right above the register and you have to look up to figure out what to order.

The burgers are WAY, WAY overpriced if you add bacon, cheese and avocado. Come to like $10 each.

The bread while baked on site is way too much for a burger. Same problem as with Grub Burger that copied Hopdoddy in Austin and tried to act like a local original.

I removed one half of the bun and it was still way too much bread.

The fries had way too much salt on them making them inedible.

And finally the HVAC system has cold air blowing down on the tables which makes your food and fries cold extremely fast.

It's certainly better than the McDonalds that was here before. The current staff of employees were friendly but disturbingly brainwashed into thinking something is special about these burgers (not grass fed or anything, mainstream beef), and the drink selection sucks with just a bunch of corn syrup fountains.

The staff made it as fun as possible by being friendly to us but there is no way I would ever eat here again as there's nothing special about it and no
Anna Molly
quote:
The FTR is obviously a fake.

Well. GregD should know how to spot a fake Yelp FTR.

Corn syrup based soft drinks and hamburger buns made of bread?! Oh, the huge manatee.

i think I will check out Mooyah soon. Thanks GregD!
PS3D
Enthusiastic employees? The horror! What happened to indifferent layabouts?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Ive eaten at Mooya 4 times since discovering it. Love love the burger and I actually like it more than 5 Guys.

I will admit however they are not consistent on the fries.... 1 time perfect and delicious, maybe some of the best fries around. 1 time overdone. 2 times a bit too salty.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.