Best route from Bush airport to B-CS?

2,905 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ksp
jac4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I drove in on 105 and the second half was a total beat down. Google maps gives 2 other options. What is your go to route to and from Bush? Thanks
91_Aggie
AG
Tollway to 290 to 6 if it isn't near 5pm on a weekday. Still not sure why people do the 105 route.

DBSwooper
BEST route?

KCLL to IAH, even in a 172 it would take half the time of driving.
techno-ag
AG
Takes a bit longer but I usually do 30 to I45 via Huntsville. Less stress.
duffelpud
AG
rsa
AG
Beltway 8 to 290, then Hwy 6. Never had an issue.
CrazyAgE
8 -> 290 -> 6
ZachTheGoodAg
AG
Agree with 8 to 290 to 6. A year or two ago I did it both ways the same day - going the 105 -45-Hardy Toll Road route, then returning 8-290-6. It was about 15-20 minutes faster avoiding 105, even though the mileage was slightly more.

I don't know what the current status is, but I know that they have been doing a lot of construction lately near IAH from Hardy to the airport.....another reason to avoid that way.

Good luck!

ZTGA
halibut sinclair
We always go 6 - 105 - 1774/249 - Beltway 8
lockett93
AG
a time of day decision every time. If not going between 7 and 9 am, then 6 to 290 to beltway. Coming home need to avoid 290 north from 4 to 630.

Although 249 isn't really much better that time of day. .. I just use waze and Google maps and see which is fastest. ..
doubledog
I often take William Clayton Pkwy east from IAH to Lee road, turn left and drive north to 1960 (Cypress Creek Pkwy) turn left and drive west to I45. Take I45 to 105 and drive west to 6. Take 6 north. No tolls.
ksp
OK let me tell you guy a good way to take 105 while avoided the conroe red light cluster. Now don't do this when it is rush hr traffic either. But at the right times 105 is by far the fastest.

Hwy 6 to 105, take 105 to montgomery, after the traffic light in the middle of montgomery about 1.5 miles down is FM 2854. Turn right. Will take you all the way to I45, while there are cars, it moves fast and no red light until right before you get to I45. Take a right and boogie down to the exits for BIA OR take 336 (turn right) about three miles before I45 (still taking FM 2854) and come out and 5 miles further down on I45 towards the airport. DO NOT DO THIS between 4-6pm, I45 is a cluster.

I have tried every way posted here and and more and this is by far the fastest way.
TXTransplant
quote:
OK let me tell you guy a good way to take 105 while avoided the conroe red light cluster. Now don't do this when it is rush hr traffic either. But at the right times 105 is by far the fastest.

Hwy 6 to 105, take 105 to montgomery, after the traffic light in the middle of montgomery about 1.5 miles down is FM 2854. Turn right. Will take you all the way to I45, while there are cars, it moves fast and no red light until right before you get to I45. Take a right and boogie down to the exits for BIA OR take 336 (turn right) about three miles before I45 (still taking FM 2854) and come out and 5 miles further down on I45 towards the airport. DO NOT DO THIS between 4-6pm, I45 is a cluster.

I have tried every way posted here and and more and this is by far the fastest way.

This is my preferred route to/from The Woodlands and College Station (taking 2854 to 336 to 45). However, I WOULD NOT recommend it for the trip to the airport right now, especially if you are traveling on the weekend. There is significant construction at I45 and SH 249, which is just south of where 336 joins 45. On any given weekend, either the northbound and/or the southbound lanes of 45 are completely closed, as they are putting in a flyover. I live here, and I don't even always know when/which lanes will be closed (sometimes we get a notice, and other times, like this past weekend, we do not). There is additional construction on 45 further south, where they are putting in the Grand Parkway flyover at the Exxon campus, however, traveling south on 45, you exit onto the Hardy before you get to that construction. The work at 45 and 249 is a real cluster right now, though.

I would only recommend the route above if you are traveling on a week day and at odd hours (like between 9 am and 3 pm). There is construction on 336 as well as on 105, between Montgomery and Navasota. I drove up to CS on Friday and 105 was down to one-lane on part of that stretch (IIRC, it was at that intersection with the flashing light just past Montgomery High, if you are traveling toward CS). It added a good 15 min to the trip, and it would have been worse if there had been more traffic.
ksp
Good info, Thanks for that, Last week I traveled it on Monday and Returned Wednesday. Was not bad at on Saturday 10/18 at 9:30 AM and returned at 3pm, neither was bad, but you did slow down to 50 MPH at 3pm around the construction on I45.
TXTransplant
Oh, and if you take 2854 to 336 to 45, there are two traffic lights on 2854...one at Honea Egypt Rd and another at the intersection with 336. Getting on 336 is actually a left hand turn at a traffic light (at the Stripes), and then you merge to the right to get on 336 going south. There are another 3 or 4 lights on 336 before you get to 45. I've never taken 2854 all the wah to 45; I always get on 336.

Not trying to be nit-picky, just wouldn't want anyone to take that route and be confused.
jac4
AG
Thanks for the replies. This is exactly the info I was looking for that you can't get a feel for by looking at Google maps.

I ended up coming home 8 to 290 to 6 which was no problem on a Sunday evening.
ksp
from 336 I45 is maybe 3-4 miles max, maybe less.

it is a little confusing as you go under bridge, take a right on feeder road, which is normally one way, but not here, in a 100 yards you turn right go back under I45 to access feeder road again to merge on to I45.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.