IRS Scam Call

3,337 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KidDoc
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KBTX

BRYAN - The Better Business Bureau is warning about scammers posing as employees of the
Internal Revenue Service in recent phone calls to people in the Brazos
Valley.
According to the BBB office in Bryan, numerous local residents said they received calls Friday morning from people with
heavy Jamaican accents who claimed they were with the IRS and
threatening legal action if they don't make payments. Credit card
numbers are requested.
Caller IDs show a 202 area code, which is for Washington, DC. However, the BBB says those behind the scam are spoofing
that area code.
The BBB reminds residents that the IRS mails letters in order to contact taxpayers, and that the closest IRS office
is in Austin, so a letter would come from there and not Washington. The
Austin IRS office can be reached at (512) 499-5127.
To talk to someone at the Bryan BBB office, call (979) 260-2222. Officials there say people receiving the scam calls have
hung up and not provided their information.

I received a call yesterday but the phone number that came up was not from the 202 area code. This is the number that came up on my phone 936 566 3621. The voicemail had a female robotic voice.
agswife
we got the same call as you did with the female computer voice - it said that the IRS had filed a lawsuit against us. As if they would file a lawsuit, and then have a robot inform us of it!
originaltexan
If you have Verizon wireless, you can block up to 5 phone numbers for free.

Also, if you have google voice, you can block all day long! I have a google voice number and it works like a charm.
eric76
AG
The DOJ has just announced some indictments on this issue.

See http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/10/27/499585590/justice-department-charges-61-people-in-fake-irs-phone-call-conspiracy.

Quote:

The U.S. Department of Justice has charged 61 people and entities with conspiracy and fraud over a scam that involved phone calls from people pretending to be from the IRS or other government agencies.

The conspiracy defrauded at least 15,000 people of more than $300 million, the U.S. government says. The defendants 56 people and five call center groups were indicted last week, and the documents were unsealed on Thursday.
KidDoc
AG
I have at least 10 numbers on auto reject due to this issue. Mostly come from DC area code.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.