Bryan SMD 4 candidate forum

3,792 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by halibut sinclair
carpe vinum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The butthurt brotherhood rides again!
halibut sinclair
Nope, sorry - not part of any of that group. I'm a moderate Republican. I'm basing my decision on qualifications, experience, personality, ability to speak off the cuff, etc. This yankee has none of those.
carpe vinum
AG
aint nobody got time for dat
Eskimo1w
Sutherland is supported by Republicans, Democrats, liberals, conservatives...even libertarians. They all have banded together for a common cause: to move Bryan forward and do so in a fair, equitable, positive and ethical way.
cavu
AG
I agree with halibut's assessment. Southerland comes across as honest and genuinely concerned about our fair city. The other guy seems like an actor on stage reciting a memorized script with as much drama as he can muster. The difference is even more pronounced when you watch the two candidates in a live discussion in person. I've seen them both at a neighborhood association meeting and at Arbor Oaks. Mike wins hands down.

I vote for experience and sincerity. That's Southerland.
cavu
AG
The Chamber of Commerce Candidate Forum for the Bryan city council race was very illuminating. Mike Southerland showed that he is already light years ahead of his opponent when it comes to what's good for Bryan and how to get it done. Listen to the debate and make up your own mind.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/2014-Candidate-Forum-by-BryanCollege-Station-Chamber-of-Commerce-280204282.html

Incardona's answers were full of fluff and void of substance. Southerland showed that he was both knowledgeable and competent.

dfphotos
Is it true Incardona is from somewhere up north?
Bryanite too
I heard Kyle was from NEW YORK CITY!!
iisanaggie
AG
Seriously, people! Can we have a more intelligent political debate that goes further than not voting for someone because of where they were born/raised? It is embarrassing that a person will discount a candidate for that reason.
dfphotos
Because out of staters are so much better than the natives
Eskimo1w
I don't care where Kyle was born, it's his ideas and who he is aligned with that gives my vote to Mike Southerland. Kyle's mayoral supporters and council supporters

*let a subsequently convicted felon who ran the Rose Homes stay in business;
*have made bad deals for the people of Bryan;
*bully those who disagree with them;
*gave tax break money away to Walmart, whose owners are among the richest people in America (and the world);
*have tried to destroy open space parkland in Bryan to benefit one of the mayor's friends who owns a local event center and would directly benefit if the Muni Golf Course was plowed under; and
*failed to address many critical infrastructure issues in Bryan, such as drainage issues along Burton Creek.

KI said when he began running that he had no ties to the mayor. But after a pay to participate dinner held at the mayor's ranch to support Kyle (the mayor was reimbursed $2,000 for drinks; and a private $1,000 chef was hired) it became clear who was behind Kyle running. Kyle now lists all of these pay for access supporters on his political and PAC advertising.

There is only one District 4 candidate of and for the people...Mike Southerland deserves our vote.
nashvilleaggie11
Just saw a Southerland commercial for the first time on KBTX. He is seriously SO NEGATIVE. It is very off-putting. That's all.
Eskimo1w
Not sure what you are watching, but Mike is honest, independent, careful in his research, and on top of the issues....be specific, what didn't you like?
nashvilleaggie11
Instead of providing solutions and telling the viewers what he would do if elected, he bashed Incardona and spewed the same "buddy with the mayor" stuff. It's getting old and petty.
halibut sinclair
May be old and petty, but true.
dgonzo99
Doesn't Southerland have his own "good old buddy" system. Yes. It's called Pena, Saenz, Karen Hall, and one of our former mayors.
Eskimo1w
First, read the ads put out by Incardona...Mike bashing at it's best. For example the one in today's Eagle...along with the "infamous" Mike says no Eagle Ad...talk about negative, full of unsubstantiated dirt. Mike as answered the call on every charge leveled by KI...done well. KI's side is desperate, they thought all their money would buy them the election.

Second, I repeat, the core group for Southerland is large, diverse, committed, across the political spectrum. KI's group consists of the mayor and his pals...

Third, Mike Southerland only ran updates on his positions and reminded folks of where he stands on the issues. As the Eagle said, every council needs a Mike Southerland.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Just saw a Southerland commercial for the first time on KBTX. He is seriously SO NEGATIVE. It is very off-putting. That's all.

That's his MO & only qualification.
Eskimo1w
Read the statement above your last one...we have dealt with this issue...you posted the same nonsense on another thread.
halibut sinclair
Techno? Comments?

Suck it Bienski!
techno-ag
AG
Sad day for Bryan.

Oh well.
Eskimo1w
quote:
Sad day for Bryan.

Oh well.
Do you ever just get up in the morning, look at the clock and wish you'd stayed asleep....sweet dreams...fun blogging with you.
nashvilleaggie11
TakenToTask= Southerland
techno-ag
halibut sinclair
quote:
Sad day for Bryan.

Oh well.
The Bienski crowd sure got quiet up in here.

It's a great day for Bryan and for responsible governance of, by and for the people. That's what we all should aspire to and what Mr. Southerland will bring to the Council.

Oh, plus those propositions you railed against. I heard they passed overwhelmingly.
nashvilleaggie11
All progress Bryan has made ends today. We now have Dumb, Dumber, and Dumberer on Council.
halibut sinclair
quote:
All progress Bryan has made ends today. We now have Dumb, Dumber, and Dumberer on Council.
Wrong. We now have some good folks who will ask questions before rubber stamping the Bienski agenda. That's a good thing, don't ya know.
Fair open govt.
Props passed Mike won equals win for the people. The people have spoken and overwhelming supported all three charter amendments. Glad to see the residents of Bryan did not let big monies from a outside super pac come into our town and take over
Eskimo1w
quote:
You mean, representatives of District 1, 2, 4....elected by and for the people, by the people. We, the people, have spoken. It was a good night for Bryan. Lots of good will come from this election. Bryan is a better city today.
duffelpud
AG
Eskimo1w
quote:
TakenToTask= Southerland
Sorry buddy, but I am a newbie to Bryan politics...have no relationship to Mike Southerland, expect worked on his campaign. I live near the Women's Center and post elsewhere as TexasEagle1.

But nice try. I repeat, Mike Southerland has not posted on any of the threads since the beginning of this election. He ran a disciplined, thoughtful and successful campaign. He overcame big money, the Bryan political elite by sticking close to the issues that were on the minds of people in district 4. He didn't pay for fancy dinners for his supporters, didn't require big cash donations to buy access, continued to meet with citizens about their needs, and at all times continued to promote the city of Bryan. Mike will be sworn in on Nov 18th....this will be a good day for Bryan.
nashvilleaggie11
Ah, well that makes a lot of sense. You don't know about Bryan politics and you must not know about Southerland's previous years on the Council. He was unproductive, divisive and negative. Too bad you didn't know more about Bryan and it's past and specifically Southerland on council.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Ah, well that makes a lot of sense. You don't know about Bryan politics and you must not know about Southerland's previous years on the Council. He was unproductive, divisive and negative. Too bad you didn't know more about Bryan and it's past and specifically Southerland on council.
And yet was overwhelmingly elected to a new term on Council. I guess none of those voters were informed, either. Methinks you are the one who needs to learn more. Congrats to Mike!
Eskimo1w
quote:
Newbie meant I am not part of the dynasty of the Bryan political elite and never worked on a campaign before. However, I have been here long enough to be fully aware of the Southerland years on council. I liked his ability to study issues, raise issues others hadn't thought of, challenge the status quo, and present alternative plans. Anyone who has studied Mike's record knows that when he voted no he countered with a better plan that was more efficient, less costly and more in line with the wishes of the community. To me, this is an outstanding record. When we disagree with someone we like to use words like divisive and negative...when we agree with them, we see their actions are forwarding looking and in the best interests of all. My view is that the city has wasted millions of the taxpayer's dollars on fancy deals that were unwise for the city....in many of those cases my views agree with Mike's

For example, can you explain why we would give a $5M tax break to a company owned by one of the richest families in America, a company that makes millions every day, a company that destroys other local businesses (so the new business destroys jobs, but then claims to create them), pays low wages (many workers are officially in poverty and get poor benefits), and whose profits ultimately leave our community headed to the pockets of shareholders and the Waltons). We even built infrastructure for them. That company should have been paying us to come to the West side of Bryan. This endeavor makes the La Salle hotel seem like a genius idea.

So, is it negative and divisive to be against this kind of effort...No, it is prudent and fiscally responsible.

In the future, you should get to know each issue, look at what the mayor is proposing, then, if there is a counter view, also study that view. You may even find reason to change your view that anything posed by our real estate oriented mayor is not necessarily a good idea.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
For example, can you explain why we would give a $5M tax break to a company owned by one of the richest families in America, a company that makes millions every day, a company that destroys other local businesses (so the new business destroys jobs, but then claims to create them), pays low wages (many workers are officially in poverty and get poor benefits), and whose profits ultimately leave our community headed to the pockets of shareholders and the Waltons). We even built infrastructure for them. That company should have been paying us to come to the West side of Bryan. This endeavor makes the La Salle hotel seem like a genius idea.

There's nothing wrong with economic incentives to spur growth. Luring Walmart to the west side was a good idea and should speed development over there.

Fortunately Mike and his pro-Obama pals are still a minority on council, and hopefully won't cause too much damage.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.