Apathy: Lost Great Pyrenees on Longmire today

5,595 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LarLar
ommama
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today on my lunch break I saw a large, old, slow moving... almost shuffling... Great Pyrenees making her way down Longmire towards Eagle Ave. In the time I watched, at least a dozen cars drove by. I imagine before I laid eyes on her due to the low rate of speed she was moving at, many more had passed. Those that passed her... this message is to you.

I get we are all "busy" and some of you probably really were, but honestly, how darn hard is it to take a few minutes, pull over your car, and help this dog out? There was nothing threatening about her (unless, of course, you are scared of dogs). The worst that could have happened is that you would have lost a few precious minutes of your time to help this animal that was not where she was supposed to be.

Thank you to the owners who had a collar with info on the tag. And thanks to the nice guy walking by that held her while I moved my car off the road to park it so I could walk her to meet her owner halfway home.

And to all the rest of you that are either apathetic or just lack any compassion to help others, well.... boo on you. Open your eyes. Look around. Lend a hand.

I am not meaning this to be pointed at every single person on TexAgs as a judgement towards you. I meant those that pass by situations where they can help, specifically those who passed by that dog. Thank YOU, Carpe Vinum, for your help today. You are awesome sauce.
carpe vinum
AG
What if I told you not everyone on this board was driving down Longmire ignoring stray dogs at the moment you saw this?
Scruffy
AG
Even if I was, I'm going to assume to dog has a home it likes and knows where it lives.

If your dog can't find it's way back home in its own...
ommama
Scruffy, I think it is safe to say we would never be friends. Thanks for your insight. If I saw a dog that was lost, and it happened to be yours, I would be happy I stopped and would gladly make sure it got home to you.
gigem1215
AG
ommama-- Thank you so much for stopping to help this girl out!! I always help animals that look lost. I know how heartbreaking it is to have a lost animal or one that has been killed by a car. Bless you for taking the time!
chloelee
Thank you ommama.. I would hope someone like you would help my babies get home
too.
ksp
Thx for helping ,but it is entirely possible the others were on a time schedule and could not stop. That has happened to me before where I just couldn't stop.

But great generalization that all people who don't stop are jerks!
kittenmittens
I want to echo others' sentiments, ommama. Thank you for noticing AND helping an animal in a bad spot.
michellecan
Thank you ommama!
peggys
AG
Bless you onmama, for stopping to help get that beautiful girl back to her home!
rhoswen
AG
If I stopped for every random loose dog I saw I'd never do anything else. What a weird thing to jump all over people about.
75AG
AG
A giant, shedding, slobbering dog is walking down the street and I'm expected to stop and put it in my car while searching for its home/owner? Forgive me if I don't do that.
RafterAg223
AG
wow
Pyewacket
AG
It is moments like these and comments like these that reveal the true nature of people.
Pyewacket
AG
I also forgot to add my kudos. Crap like this is why I and most other animal lovers in town have a house full of other people's excuses and laziness.
rhoswen
AG
Pyewacket I'll let you tell my boss the reason I was several hours late for work is because I saw a lost dog on the road.

There may be a lot of reasons to think I'm a terrible person, but this isn't one of them.
Tailgate88
AG
Ommama
SoTheySay
S
A. I'm not going to pull over with three small kids in my car.

B. The last time I picked up someone's dog the owner tried telling me it wasn't hers. Sure honey - I just dialed a random number for funsies. Then when she finally accepted it was, she took nearly 45 minutes to meet me just 5 miles away. So you can blame her for the fact that I can't spend an hour out of my work day rescuing others pets.
Diamond Geezer
This thread is a great litmus test for the posters of mybcs. Techno, what would you do in this situation?
Oogway
The ever helpful techno is probably driving around looking for a stray dog to pick up, but I hate to project what I think techno-ag might be doing versus what he might actually be doing....
As far as a 'litmus test,' don't you know? It's all about that base, 'bout that base, no acids...
Pyewacket
AG
Stopping isn't the only option. You can't call animal control? Post on Txags? I think her point was that each of us have become so self important that we cant help another living being in need.

rhoswen and so they say..try again.

I guess this hits a nerve. I may out myself, but I own a similar situation. Great Pyranees (Sarge) limping and so sick dragging down Villa Maria. Some kind soul did stop. The dog was so sick and lame they were going to euthanize him. I stepped up. Fostered him, paid thousands for medical care and stayed with him through failed adoptions. I made a promise that he would never be scared or sick again. So here he will stay. He and a house full of "I couldn't stop", "I didn't have time to get her spayed", "I have a new baby", "to big", "too old" and on and on and on.

Why do I do it? Why not drive on and let someone else take care of it? Because of my small children in the back of the car. They see their mother care about the world around her, they see their mother involved in her community, but most importantly I teach them empathy and kindness. I hope my actions will instill in my children that they are part of a larger community that they have an obligation to care about.

Let's face it, in most situations, unless you are driving to your own kidney transplant. I don't find much that is too dam important that I can't take 5 minutes out of my day to help a soul in need. My children see that and it makes me feel whole.

Hammerheadjim
AG
Hmm, a whole lotta finger pointing and tail wagging going on here.

What if you stopped, got close to the dog and it bit you.

Glad you stopped and helped out the dog. But lets not condemn others just quite yet.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
Hmm, a whole lotta finger pointing and tail wagging going on here.

What if you stopped, got close to the dog and it bit you.

Glad you stopped and helped out the dog. But lets not condemn others just quite yet.
Seriously.

I love dogs more than most anything else. Most times, I stop or call animal control. But to just say anyone who didn't do what you did is a bad person is a bit ridiculous.
BrazosLostAndFoundPets
I try to stop for any pets that I can but I, too, have been in the situation where I cannot stop. I do agree that there are a lot of apathetic people who do not care and will pass by a lost pet. But for the millions of people who do care - we established a Facebook page so that people can REPORT SIGHTINGS and still help get pets home.

The Facebook page that we run is a perfect place for people to post SIGHTINGS of pets. I encourage people to post the description and exact location of any pets that they see out and about. Even better, If you can snap a photo with your cell phone those are the best ways to report sightings to us. Not all pets are supposed to be out on the streets and there is no way for you to know if they are supposed to be or not, or if they will be able to navigate through the hazards (traffic!) to get back home.

We have helped reunited many, many people with their lost pets because someone took a moment to snap a picture, note the description (color, size, collar, sex) and the location (exact cross streets) and sent us the information. Sometimes the owners see the post are able to go out and retrieve their pet. Sometimes volunteers are able to go out and get the pet off the roadways. Sometimes the sightings help our local animal control officers.

HOW TO REPORT SIGHTINGS:
1. Get the best description you can: Colors, Size, Sex, Presence of and color of collar or tags
2. Note the exact location using street names and note the direction pet was moving. Use N, S, E, W to help describe and use landmarks.
3. Note the time.
4. Email BrazosLostAndFoundPets@gmail.com, post directly to the Facebook page or send the page a personal message.
5. OR Call local Animal Control officers (use the non-emergency police number for the city). They are here to help and it is not a bad thing to have a pet go to one of our local shelters!

It is always better to help get a pet back to safety than to leave them out on the streets. It is not a safe place for them. And, for some pets, it is not a safe place for others if the pet is scared and reactive.

Thank you,
Brazos Lost and Found Pets
Find us on Facebook
BrazosLostAndFoundPets@gmail.com

To ommama: Thank you so much for helping this dog get back home! I love that we live in a community with people as caring as you are. Thank you!
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
I try to stop for any pets that I can but I, too, have been in the situation where I cannot stop. I do agree that there are a lot of apathetic people who do not care and will pass by a lost pet. But for the millions of people who do care - we established a Facebook page so that people can REPORT SIGHTINGS and still help get pets home.

The Facebook page that we run is a perfect place for people to post SIGHTINGS of pets. I encourage people to post the description and exact location of any pets that they see out and about. Even better, If you can snap a photo with your cell phone those are the best ways to report sightings to us. Not all pets are supposed to be out on the streets and there is no way for you to know if they are supposed to be or not, or if they will be able to navigate through the hazards (traffic!) to get back home.

We have helped reunited many, many people with their lost pets because someone took a moment to snap a picture, note the description (color, size, collar, sex) and the location (exact cross streets) and sent us the information. Sometimes the owners see the post are able to go out and retrieve their pet. Sometimes volunteers are able to go out and get the pet off the roadways. Sometimes the sightings help our local animal control officers.

HOW TO REPORT SIGHTINGS:
1. Get the best description you can: Colors, Size, Sex, Presence of and color of collar or tags
2. Note the exact location using street names and note the direction pet was moving. Use N, S, E, W to help describe and use landmarks.
3. Note the time.
4. Email BrazosLostAndFoundPets@gmail.com, post directly to the Facebook page or send the page a personal message.
5. OR Call local Animal Control officers (use the non-emergency police number for the city). They are here to help and it is not a bad thing to have a pet go to one of our local shelters!

It is always better to help get a pet back to safety than to leave them out on the streets. It is not a safe place for them. And, for some pets, it is not a safe place for others if the pet is scared and reactive.

Thank you,
Brazos Lost and Found Pets
Find us on Facebook
BrazosLostAndFoundPets@gmail.com

To ommama: Thank you so much for helping this dog get back home! I love that we live in a community with people as caring as you are. Thank you!
Y'all are awesome. I love seeing the reunions on the fb page.
SoTheySay
S
And when exactly is the last time you stopped and helped someone with a flat tire? A homeless person? A child who fell off their bike?

Just because I'm not stopping for someone's pet every single time I see one does not mean I am self absorbed.
justalocal
I live near the area, didn't see the dog, but I think the generalization of people is a bit silly. Would I have stopped? No. I did not have a good experience with animals as a small child and I do not approach any dog no matter how friendly it may seem unless I know the dog personally. I'm not heartless. I don't want to see any animal suffer but it's a mental thing that I can't overcome. I tend to only call animal control for animals that pose a hazard or danger.

Second, as someone pointed out above, not all animals have good owners. I've posted about this before but we had a neighbor (who has since moved) that had a dog that dug a hole under the fence. Lucky for us, we were always outside and the dog was always following us. Even would squeeze through our fence and spend all day barking in our backyard. If the dog was brought back to the owner, they just put it right back in the backyard with the hole under the fence that they never fixed and the dog would get right back out. We ended up having to put boards under our fence to keep the dog out of our yard. We got so tired of dealing with it that we just didn't deal with it at all. The dog use to run out on Eagle and people would stop, make an assumption that the dog was ours, and yell at me for letting the dog run loose or run at their dog but we had little control and to be honest, it wasn't fair to us as non-pet owners to deal with someone else's pet. My priority was taking care of my child and making sure she was safe - not chasing a dog in the road. The day I decided that I was going to call animal control, we saw the owner out who was looking for the dog. It had gone missing and they never did find it.
91_Aggie
AG
I wonder how many of these people claiming moral superiority for making sure they stop to take care of a fellow living being stop and help every homeless person/beggar/etc.

Or do they just walk/drive by them?

Silly thread with silly logic should be deleted.
TXAggie1976
AG
Thanks for stopping and helping the dog.
Pyewacket
AG
I don't know why this is bothering me enough to post. Techno is rubbing off on me.

no worries ommama. The same people hating on you are the same people that stand behind a WIC recipient and morally inventory his or her cart. You obviously wrote this out of frustration.

I was wondering when the "would you help the homeless" crowd would chime in. I think a person that stops to help a dog has a pretty good track record of helping his or her fellow man. Kindness is kindness no matter the species of the recipient.

We all rail on millenials and general degradation of society. This is in part why.
PrincessButtercup
AG
And somehow the thread manages to get even more ridiculous.
91_Aggie
AG
Nope. Missed the point. OP wants everyone to stop every time they see an animal on the side of the road. Said that we should all have time to help a Fellow living being.

And a bunch of idiots fall all over themselves to agree

But a human is a fellow living being. According to OP's logic you have to stop and help a fellow living being every time or else you are less than human.

I just don't see the OP or the sycophants agreeing with her/him doing that.
Scruffy
rhoswen
AG
I love how we're "hating" on the OP but the OP was literally calling out all of us supposed self absorbed non animal lovers.

Wow.

What about cats? If you see a cat loose do you stop to help it find its way home? Or is it just dogs you get on your high horse about?
Lance Uppercut
AG
This thread is absurd.

In my times trying to help out animals, I've had them be mean and try to bite, hard to catch, had thankless owners, or even owners I wish I'd never found.

To get them home, I've had to play phone tag with chip agencies or owners, run newspaper ads, put stuff up on Texags, called the city and shelters, and made flyers and put them up around neighborhoods. I've had animals stay in the house for days. If I took the time trying to place every loose dog and cat I see every week, I would have been fired by now. It can take up a lot of time. I can't think of a single time I've stopped that it's just taken "a few minutes". And the past couple of years there were plenty of situations in the last year where I didn't have the time to stop.

I help when I can because I'd like to think someone would get my dog back to me. But I hate to be "that guy"....keeping your dog out of the street is your responsibility first. If your dog digs or is afraid of thunder, address that problem. If you have a penchant for leaving doors or gates open, make a reminder.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.