Which ISD- Iola or Anderson-Shiro?

2,264 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by tdm89
w8liftr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are looking to move out of BCS into a smaller (better?) school district and seem to like Iola and Anderson-Shiro. Since Texags knows stuff, what are your thoughts on these two ISDs?

TIA
ifish2
I graduated from Iola and my vote would be for North Zulch.
w8liftr
quote:
I graduated from Iola and my vote would be for North Zulch.

NZ has no Football team so its not an option.
Oogway
Cannot speak from personal experience, but we've heard good things about Anderson-Shiro. Have you toured the schools? That is what I would recommend. Find out what the curriculum is about, etc. Have traveled there before, though--nice new football stadium if that's where your interest is...
UmustBKidding
I have not problem with CSISD or BISD, but College Station is threatening to annex me again. If the do it will be time to GTFO of CS. My last just graduated so its less of an issue. I think as far as small local school districts my choice would be Mumford. They don't put up with what kids get away with every day in College Station.
MADDUD
Both are good quality schools
Muzzleblast
Iola if North Zulch isn't an option.
Lots of new building going on out here from oil tax revenue.
Great new sports venues.
tdm89
My family has been in the Iola school district for the past 7 years. I completely respect the Anderson-Shiro district, but I don't have much insight there. The interactions I've had with A-S parents & kids has been for the most part positive and I wouldn't hesitate putting my kids into A-S schools.

Here are some thoughts on Iola: I have very positive thoughts about the years my kids were in Iola schools. I never had a kid in high school, but did have a kid in junior high down through kindergarten. The elementary school is outstanding with great teachers and administrators. It is an old-school district that still uses corporal punishment. Any parent can opt out of the punishment, but for the most part the kids are well behaved. The behavior problems are mostly from kids whose parents suck and fight the school on every issue. I felt like the education my kids received was adequate.

My concerns with Iola were mainly centered around high school and the educational opportunities offered. Because I didn't have a kid go through the high school, I don't know if my concerns were warranted or not. I just figured that if my kid needed additional education, it was only 30 minutes away in B/CS. Also, the athletics programs are just OK (except volleyball which is exceptional). My son played one year of JH football out there and I don't think he was coached much at all. But since he's not going to be a superstar no matter who coaches him, it really didn't bother me much.

Lastly, most of the people in Iola are great people. Lots of folks who want the small-town experience and a small-school experience for their kids. We enjoyed our time there, and I'm sure we would've been very happy in Anderson-Shiro as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.