Is this even ethical????

2,826 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggieWife2008
AggieWife2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I had a security company come out to my house yesterday. Rang the doorbell, shook my hand, was polite, had a company polo on, business cards, etc. We sat down at my kitchen table, went over options and all that...everything seemed to be going good.

After we were about done he said, "oh, by the way...no big deal but I wanted to let you know that when you do pay, it will really be for _________ (another security company)." He then went on to say that the company he jointly owned currently wasn't going so well because he tried to buy out his partner but his partner wanted "way too much for it". He said he got this new company licensed and was just starting up.

So this guy is taking calls for the company that he jointly owns and leveraging it for his own start-up....I am right for feeling uneasy, yes? I would NOT have booked an appointment with a company I have never heard about.

The other thing that I thought was weird was that he was talking to me about video surveillance and pulled up ALL of his customers security cameras via his cell phone to demonstrate. I have never had video surveillance in a home so I don't know if that is normal or not but I rather not have someone be able to look at cameras of my house whenever he wants.

Anyone have some input?
Tradishun
Trust your instincts. Stay away.

And I agree about the video. I don't want video cameras in my house. No thank you.
SoTheySay
S
Agreed. Totally unethical - all of it.
BlueMiles
AG
You have a choice. If you have researched a company and want to go with them, tell him so.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
You have a choice. If you have researched a company and want to go with them, tell him so.
I don't have a problem not going with this guy...I already know that I am going with another company because my gut tells me so. I was just curious if others would have done the same thing.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
I had a security company come out to my house yesterday. Rang the doorbell, shook my hand, was polite, had a company polo on, business cards, etc. We sat down at my kitchen table, went over options and all that...everything seemed to be going good.

After we were about done he said, "oh, by the way...no big deal but I wanted to let you know that when you do pay, it will really be for _________ (another security company)." He then went on to say that the company he jointly owned currently wasn't going so well because he tried to buy out his partner but his partner wanted "way too much for it". He said he got this new company licensed and was just starting up.

So this guy is taking calls for the company that he jointly owns and leveraging it for his own start-up....I am right for feeling uneasy, yes? I would NOT have booked an appointment with a company I have never heard about.

The other thing that I thought was weird was that he was talking to me about video surveillance and pulled up ALL of his customers security cameras via his cell phone to demonstrate. I have never had video surveillance in a home so I don't know if that is normal or not but I rather not have someone be able to look at cameras of my house whenever he wants.

Anyone have some input?
Whooooa! The first part is bad, but showing customers other people's homes?!?! Good lord. It's like he is his own worst enemy.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
quote:

Anyone have some input?
Whooooa! The first part is bad, but showing customers other people's homes?!?! Good lord. It's like he is his own worst enemy.
RIGHT??? It was SO weird! Granted, they were outside cameras but what if someone put in a nanny cam? He probably has access to that as well.
Anna Molly
And now he's been in your house, knows your habits, has an idea of # of people, if you have a dog or not, etc. Creepy, and absolutely unethical.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
um no. not cool. stay away.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
And now he's been in your house, knows your habits, has an idea of # of people, if you have a dog or not, etc. Creepy, and absolutely unethical.
I feel bad for the people that use him....because then he knows THEIR habits by looking at their surveillance. I did not share too much information so I am not worried about that part. My husband is a Marine, has a gun, and sleeps with a machete so I am not scared haha. The alarm is helpful just to wake him up if someone breaks in haha!
FlyRod
I would do some digging on this "company," report 'em to the Better Business Bureau, and perhaps contact the police if you really feel something weird is going on.

I had an experience with a fake plumbing company years ago that changed my instincts about this sort of thing forever.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
I would do some digging on this "company," report 'em to the Better Business Bureau, and perhaps contact the police if you really feel something weird is going on.

I had an experience with a fake plumbing company years ago that changed my instincts about this sort of thing forever.
share with the group!
FlyRod
Actually I have before, and I don't want to hijack this thread.

Said fake company came over, destroyed the plumbing in my bathroom, charged me an insane bill (which I successfully fought) and disappeared. Looking back I blame my own cluelessness and not doing my homework before calling a plumber. I'm sorry they were even in my house because I have never met two more creepy individuals than the two who showed up.

Which is why I suggest the OP do some research as well.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

Thanks for sharing.
originaltexan
Curious, did you have an appt with him, or did he merely knock on your door, and you opened?

If you opened for an unexpected visitor, why?

That is how a home invasion starts.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
We sat down at my kitchen table
Don't let anyone you don't know inside your front door.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
Curious, did you have an appt with him, or did he merely knock on your door, and you opened?

If you opened for an unexpected visitor, why?

That is how a home invasion starts.
We made an appointment.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
quote:
We sat down at my kitchen table
Don't let anyone you don't know inside your front door.
He was the same guy that I expected...actually I read that a few people on here recommended him--when he was working for the company he was SUPPOSED to be working for.
Post removed:
by user
duffelpud
AG

Would you like to see some videos?
The Original AG 76
AG
Never ever ever never. use any door to door pest control, lawn service, water softener, SECURITY service, meat ....... Sales. Never ever ever allow them access to any part of your property. For every legit door to door. (If there are ANY) there are dozens of total criminal groups using that tactic.
AgSportsFan2007
AG
quote:
Never ever ever never. use any door to door pest control, lawn service, water softener, SECURITY service, meat ....... Sales. Never ever ever allow them access to any part of your property. For every legit door to door. (If there are ANY) there are dozens of total criminal groups using that tactic.

This may be extreme. We use the pest control company that solicited business door to door in our neighborhood and have no concerns regarding safety. You should trust your instinct and approach each situation with caution, but not assume that ALL door to door folks are casing your place.
BigBubba
AG
Just curious, Has this company been a paid sponsor on this site? And, if you lookup any posts on this site related to security is this company the one everyone seems to recommend?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Between two kids, two adults, and three dogs, our house in a perpetual state of disarray. No one gets past the front door, not even the pizza people or the Girl Scouts.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
Just curious, Has this company been a paid sponsor on this site? And, if you lookup any posts on this site related to security is this company the one everyone seems to recommend?
I don't believe he has been a paid sponsor. We had David from ACS come out this afternoon and will be going with them...should have gone that route in the first place so I wasn't so creeped out in the first place. ACS is the way to go for sure!
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
He was not going to door-to-door....I specifically called his company for service, made an appointment, and he came to my house decked out in logos from the company I called. There is nothing I could have done different....he should have told me from the getgo that he started another company because I would have declined the appointment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.