Texas Association of Realtors messing with Bryan politics

29,052 Views | 304 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by techno-ag
Diamond Geezer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want to congratulate technoag on a hard-fought battle here in this thread. Even though he was on the losing side of the ordeal, he graciously accepted defeat and promised to support the council and its new members. Says a lot.
halibut sinclair
quote:
he graciously accepted defeat and promised to support the council and its new members.
He did? I didn't see that at all.

Unless you are implying that techno = Incardona?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I want to congratulate technoag on a hard-fought battle here in this thread. Even though he was on the losing side of the ordeal, he graciously accepted defeat and promised to support the council and its new members. Says a lot.

Um, you realize I wasn't running, right?
halibut sinclair
Thank the Lord.
Ronnie Gardocki
quote:
Thank the Lord.
cavu
AG
quote:
Thank the Lord.

A thousand times over.

quote:

techno-ag
AG
I never realized y'all were Christians.
halibut sinclair
I am, what about it?
cavu
AG
What a resounding defeat for the big money political machine and its out-of-town real estate lobby.
halibut sinclair
halibut sinclair
cavu
AG
Carping Venom, it's just the facts. What you and a few other soreheads on this board have demanded do vehemently --- except when the facts don't happen to fit your narrow agendas you go even more insane. You might consider therapy.
duffelpud
AG
quote:
I'll take a wait and see approach on Mike this time around. I'll wait and see if he really wants to work for the betterment of Bryan, and oftentimes that means working with the like-minded majority of 4 who also want to improve Bryan.
If it's any indication, the morning I voted I saw the mayor and MS at the same polling place doing some last minute sign waving. I saw Bienski try and shake Mike's hand and Mike wouldn't take it.

Get the popcorn ready.

OnlyANobody
quote:
I saw Bienski try and shake Mike's hand and Mike wouldn't take it.

I really wish this wasn't true. I don't live in SMD4, so didn't have a voice in that particular item, but I really would appreciate these people working together for the continued betterment of our city. Deliberate divisiveness just makes the people sick of you. (collective you) See for example, Washington DC.
Employed Aggie
S
I'm much more concerned with them working together than I am by a show of shaking hands in public where others can see them.
OnlyANobody
cavu
AG
Before this chapter on TREPAC is closed, citizens would do well to remember what the TREPAC ads said about those who pushed for an ethics policy for city council. Claims that were so preposterous that they are almost comical.

"Backwards thinking, political extremists, hijackers"
"risk the lives of our citizens"

The final campaign finance reports are not yet in, but when they are published, we'll likely find that TREPAC has wasted over $30,000 in mail outs and the media blitz to derail Props 1 - 3.

Brazos County realtors who paid into this PAC might want to look into who called the shots for blowing such a huge amount of their money for such foolishness.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
If it's any indication, the morning I voted I saw the mayor and MS at the same polling place doing some last minute sign waving. I saw Bienski try and shake Mike's hand and Mike wouldn't take it.

That's just sad.
FlyRod
Was it possible that there was something disagreeable in the mayor's hand? A joy buzzer? Dog poo?
duffelpud
AG
Maybe that was it.

FlyRod
Undoubtedly something greasy and suspicious...
halibut sinclair
The mayor had his rug in his hand.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
The ethics amendments are not progressive or liberal or shenanigans or illegal. To say they are is totally ABSURD!.

Shenanigans are what we have with the current real estate controlled dictatorship. And the dictatorship does not want to give up any of their power so we are now seeing something on the order of $30,000 being spent by fear mongering out-of-town real estate interests to spew non-stop lies to the public in hopes that some of the lies will stick and enough gullible voters will turn against the ethics amendments.

The ethics amendments represent a pure non-partisan attempt to restore honesty to our city government. 2,000 ordinary citizens of Bryan have said they want to take back control of city government. Let's hope for the sake of our city that our voters are too smart to be fooled by TREPAC's media blitz of outrageously stupid pack of lies.

Here is the truth. The charter amendments are very simple and straightforward. Any honest politician will have absolutely no problem abiding by the common-sense rules that are proposed, rules that would force members of city council to do the following:

1. Stop appointing their brothers or other relatives to commissions, like Planning and Zoning,
2. Stop using the power of their offices to campaign for cronies, like now being done by the mayor,
3. Stop accepting huge campaign contributions from those who expect favors from the city.

Say NO to out-of-town real estate money. Do not believe their idiotic lies.
Vote YES for Props 1,2 & 3. Take back control of your city government!

Bump.

Southerland's chickens have come home to roost!
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-city-council-member-may-not-be-able-to-alter/article_de8682ba-faf5-552d-9f11-7cd5693ffa0d.html

quote:
Vague language in the charter amendments, when interpreted by legal experts and city staff, has resulted in further restrictions on council members' families and donors than Southerland said he originally intended when he wrote the charter amendments. For example, he didn't intend for family members to not be able to volunteer at the Bryan Animal Shelter and meant to cap the limit on donations to $250 per each reporting period during the election, not the entire election itself.

"It was totally opposite what we were trying to do and how it read and how the people we talked to read it," Southerland said.

But an interpretation of each of the charter amendments already has been complied by city staff, including the city attorney and outside legal help, and has been in effect since Nov. 19, an interpretation Southerland said is worthless because it does not have the support of the council.

"That's like implementing the wind, it's not worth anything," Southerland said. "The city employees do not have the right to interpret the charter."

City staffers and some council members disagree. At Tuesday's council meeting, when Southerland attempted to form a committee of himself, Al Saenz and Rafael Pena to hammer out the details of the charter amendment, City Attorney Janis Hampton said both the city and council had to be true to the wording of the amendments, as that's what the voters approved.

"The voters went into the voting booth, they looked at the ballot and they read the language," she said.

"There was no circulator whispering in their ear saying, 'This is what I really meant.' They read the language and they voted on the ballot. It's the language that mattered."

More at the link.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
The powerful real estate PAC over in Austin is running an intensely misleading campaign on KBTX against Bryan's ethics charter amendments. Someone said they were spending over $16,000. We don't need the real estate moguls in Austin helping us decide how to vote.

Contrary to what TREPAC ads are saying, these amendments would not in any way hinder city council from carrying out their obligations to serve the citizens of Bryan. Instead, they would impose some common sense rules on city council that would help restore integrity to our city government.

Oops!
halibut sinclair
What do trolls do? Bump old threads to post links to newspaper articles and make laughing/crying faces and posts with no substance. Voted down.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Techno, you are confused. Pena's mother was nominated to an appointive position. She voluntarily withdrew because she believes in what Prop 1 wants to accomplish. If she wants to volunteer at the animal shelter, she is free to do so and would not be hindered in any way by Prop 1. The animal shelter volunteer position is not on a committee or commission appointed by city council.

Oops! Wrong again! Relatives of city council members can no longer volunteer at the animal shelter. The people have voted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.