Texas Association of Realtors messing with Bryan politics

29,068 Views | 304 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by techno-ag
cavu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's interesting that the realtors association in Austin has launched a media blitz to try to defeat the ethics charter amendments in Bryan. Seems that the petition signed by 2,000 citizens has touched a nerve.
BlueMiles
techno-ag
AG
quote:
It's interesting that the realtors association in Austin has launched a media blitz to try to defeat the ethics charter amendments in Bryan. Seems that the petition signed by 2,000 citizens has touched a nerve.

Doesn't bother me at all. The PAC "Citizens for Bryan" which pushed for the ethics amendment refused to divulge its donor list as well as an inventory of expenditures. Karen Hall finally sent the information to the Texas Election Commission after the deadline, in violation of state law.

Seems very hypocritical.
rcannaday
AG
Can you post some more info related to what you are discussing? Code of ethics?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Can you post some more info related to what you are discussing? Code of ethics?

The PAC got a poorly worded ethics amendment passed with enough signatures. Karen Hall, the treasurer of the PAC is a resident of Kurten and has been lying about where she lives all these years. The amendment, if passed, is not expected to survive legal challenges. It would ban family members of council members from volunteering for the city.
cavu
AG
Please, let's focus on the real meat of the ethics proposals, not wander off into the weeds with trivia.

These proposals are intended to accomplish the following with respect to how Bryan's city council members conduct business while serving on city council:.

Prop. 1. City council members would no longer be allowed to appoint their relatives to City committees and commissions.

Prop. 2. They could no longer use their official positions to promote the election of their friends.

Prop 3. They could no longer vote on items brought before council by anyone giving them more than $250 towards their election. In other words, reduce the ability to "buy" votes.

The actual language is on page two of the ballot.
http://www.brazosvotes.org/sites/default/files/2014SampleBallotFinalC.pdf
cavu
AG
quote:
It would ban family members of council members from volunteering for the city.
Techno, that statement is absolutely not true! It is a false rumor being spread by those council members who don't want to be subjected to any new rules. Volunteers are not affected by the ethics proposal unless the city chooses to write such a restriction into their implementation policies and procedures.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
It would ban family members of council members from volunteering for the city.
Techno, that statement is absolutely not true! It is a false rumor being spread by those council members who don't want to be subjected to any new rules. Volunteers are not affected by the ethics proposal unless the city chooses to write such a restriction into their implementation policies and procedures.

So if a relative wants to volunteer for a committee they can? I don't think so. Why did Pena's mother step down from her volunteer position if that were the case?
halibut sinclair
Techno's spin on all this is HILARIOUS.
FlyRod
He's a realtor/developer, so he has to respond to the OP, as he has in a similar vein in past threads. Not sure about "hilarious," but entirely predictable.
techno-ag
AG
Spin? The PAC trying to pass an ethics amendment is the one that keeps violating election laws.
cavu
AG
Techno, you are confused. Pena's mother was nominated to an appointive position. She voluntarily withdrew because she believes in what Prop 1 wants to accomplish. If she wants to volunteer at the animal shelter, she is free to do so and would not be hindered in any way by Prop 1. The animal shelter volunteer position is not on a committee or commission appointed by city council.

2,000 concerned citizens of Bryan signed a petition to get the ethics code put on the ballot over the objections of the ruling majority on council. Those in power simply do not want their power curtailed in in any form or fashion.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Techno, you are confused. Pena's mother was nominated to an appointive position. She voluntarily withdrew because she believes in what Prop 1 wants to accomplish. If she wants to volunteer at the animal shelter, she is free to do so and would not be hindered in any way by Prop 1. The animal shelter volunteer position is not on a committee or commission appointed by city council.

2,000 concerned citizens of Bryan signed a petition to get the ethics code put on the ballot over the objections of the ruling majority on council. Those in power simply do not want their power curtailed in in any form or fashion.

It's a volunteer position without pay.

Those citizens were lied to. The treasurer signing the affidavits was not a citizen of Bryan. Now she's violated state law with the donor & expenditures list. Why is this PAC acting so unethical to get a poorly worded ethics amendment passed?
cavu
AG
quote:
The PAC trying to pass an ethics amendment is the one that keeps violating election laws.
Kyle Incardona, who is opposed the the ethics amendment, is guilty of the same violation.
FlyRod
Cavu is knocking it out of the park and breaking windows.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
The PAC trying to pass an ethics amendment is the one that keeps violating election laws.
Kyle Incardona, who is opposed the the ethics amendment, is guilty of the same violation.

Does he live in Kurten like Karen Hall does?
cavu
AG
Techno, you keep distorting the facts and harping on non-issues. Do you have anything intelligent to say about the ethics code itself?
Builder93
AG
I am not completely up on all of the details of this issue, but having been loosely involved in small town city politics in other areas of Texas, it doesn't surprise me at all that the issue has been raised. It seems there are certain things we should all expect out of local city politics:

1. Realtors and land developers will be heavily involved in, if not guiding the politics of the city.
2. Red or Blue is not the issue. It's all about opportunity.
3. The public will only find out about the scandal after the big money has cashed in.
4. Most people don't know the law or by-laws and tend to make fools of themselves in the fight.
5. The people who know the laws or by-laws use them fully to their advantage.
6. The good old boy system is always being used whether it looks like it or not.
FlyRod
7. More often then not, the influence of realtors and developers will trump that of the common people.
cavu
AG
What part of the proposed ethics policy is Texas Assoc of Realtors is so afraid of?
halibut sinclair
Kyle Incardona is a yankee from New York City. He will not get my vote.

halibut sinclair
quote:
Techno, you keep distorting the facts and harping on non-issues. Do you have anything intelligent to say about the ethics code itself?
Builder93
AG
Just as a side note, you realize that most school bond promotions are funded by the Associated General Contractors of America? Because, well, it's all about the children.
kraut
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm not techno but I don't understand how questioning the validity of the petition itself is a non-issue? I don't live in Bryan but would you be OK if I started a petition to change something in Bryan, whether or not you agree or disagree with my petition? Does the end justify the means?

Bryan is doing a great job right now with the current leadership in attracting businesses that could have located in other places. I would caution Bryan residents that railing against development and using that as a rallying cry will make businesses look elsewhere and may kill the progress and growth some Bryan candidates are trying to take credit for.
Builder93
AG
I am not railing against growth, I just think people need to open their eyes a little more to city government. For all of the good that comes from growth and jobs and those kinds of things others are getting the royal shaft often in higher taxes that are transferred to others so that a business owner can reap huge profits or devalued land because your next door neighbor made a backroom deal to put a build a pig farm. I have watched the money trail on plenty of these "good for the city" issues. While not all of them are shady, a good many of them are. I am just recommending that people look past the glossy brochure and read the fine print before jumping on board.
cavu
AG
Kraut, if you have a good idea on how to improve Bryan's city government, then I would encourage you to have at it. I would sign your petition and help get the other 1,500 signatures needed to put it on the ballot for the voters to decide. Whether or not you live in Bryan is irrelevant. It's the 1,500 plus registered voters that count.

However, if your idea involves placing any restrictions on city council, get ready for a fight. The Bienski crowd will come after you with all guns blazing and be joined in battle by the Texas Association of Realtors with their heavy artillery.
cavu
AG
Remember Rose Home? This woman set up unlicensed nursing homes in residential neighborhoods, much to the detriment of the neighborhood.

The entrenched majority on Bryan City Council and the real estate interests adamantly opposed new regulations on that type of operation and even commented on what a good citizen she was.

She's now in prison, no thanks to Bienski and the real estate power brokers.

Any thoughts on why the Texas Assoc of Realtors is so opposed to an ethics policy for Bryan City Council?
techno-ag
AG
Yeah look at Traditions. The council really messed that up.

/Sarcasm.

The Bryan City Council is doing just fine. I think the people of Bryan agree since they elected Bienski over Southerland last time.
duffelpud
AG
FlyRod
quote:
Yeah look at Traditions. The council really messed that up.

How many residents of Bryan had their quality of life improved because of Traditions? Just curious...
Fonzie Scheme
AG
No dog in the fight but I am compelled to point out:
quote:
Whether or not you live in Bryan is irrelevant.
I don't live in Bryan but have a serious problem with any entity (person or otherwise) coming into a city and telling me how to fix all our problems. It smacks of Music Man, at best; "I'm here from the government and came to help", at worst.

Well intentioned or not, it would be no different that to knock on your door and have a solution for whatever issues I perceive you to have, personal or otherwise.

I agree, Cavu, that it's the other taxpayers that need to get on board. But, it only hurts their collective credibility to have an officer of their group NOT be a taxpayer. It's disingenuous on her part and makes the entire group appear as such. In short, it's guilt by association.

One other thing: Prop 1 reads,
quote:
"No person related within the first or second or third degree of affinity (by marriage), or within the first or second or third degree of consanguinity (by blood), to members of the City Council shall be appointed or employed to any (emphasis added) office, position including appointed positions or service including contracted service, paid or nonpaid with the City."
IDK who wrote it but the verbiage is poor. I can see where the language is misleading. Given that, I can also see why/how a side might attempt to use that to their advantage.
dgonzo99
Bringing up Karen Hall is valid. She has not shown ethical behavior. Shouldn't she be held to the same standards that she wants for the Council? She is head of a PAC. In fact, she is in deep trouble for reporting the finances of HER PAC! Talk about being totally unethical!
Bryanite too
Duffelpud, I liked your Bienski sign, but your should have added the Bienski super park located on the muni golf course!
Bryanite too
Techno, you really should do your homework concerning Traditions. The City of Bryan invested millions of dollars, and has seen no return on this expenditure! Any revenue stays in the TIF , and doesn't get back to the City for helping with general expenses.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Techno, you really should do your homework concerning Traditions. The City of Bryan invested millions of dollars, and has seen no return on this expenditure! Any revenue stays in the TIF , and doesn't get back to the City for helping with general expenses.

Oh so it should have gone to College Station. Good grief. I'm glad the other 5 members of council don't think like y'all do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.