Dry Ice

1,489 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggiePirate
dachsie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How long will dry Ice keep in an ice chest? And where do you find it here in town?

Am going on a trip and thought that might be an option for my ice chest
don61
Not sure how long it lasts, but I know the HEB in College Station sells it. Bought some there a couple of weeks ago.
fcag
AG
I buy it at the Kroger on Boonville Rd. for camping trips in the summer. I line the bottom of my ice chest with a couple slabs, with a rubber pad underneath so it doesn't touch the plastic. Then I put a layer of 10 lbs of ice on top and cover that with a sheet of plexiglass with holes cut in it and feet that helps keep the food on top dry.

It will usually keep anything in the bottom half of the cooler frozen solid for two days and the stuff in the top half of the cooler stays pretty frosty.
Ratsa
I'm not sure how long your trip is, but I've generally had good luck with filling an empty gallon milk jug with water and freezing it. I put two of those in my ice chest, and they keep the food cold for about two to three days.
AggieJason
AG
+1 College Station HEB.

Why does it seem like this gets posted once or twice a semester? How is this any different than any other store-bought item? The first thing I'm going to think of when I buy a commodity food product (even if it's a tad off the wall) is going to the grocery store.
sangria
AG
Nothing wrong with asking as not every grocery store carries dry ice. I make a few trips to Georgia each year to visit my folks, and they always send back meat and produce from the farm. It is very hard to find dry ice along my route. I have to drive a good 4 hours before I can get to a grocery store that sells its.

Mine seemed to last a good 24-48 hours. It depends on how much dry ice you use and whether you place it on the top or bottom of the ice chest. Check out this link for more information:
http://www.continentalcarbonic.com/faqs.html

fcag - I've never thought about setting up a cooler like that. I need to remember that for next time we go camping.
AggiePirate
AG
One time time on the way out of town for a pot luck at work out of town I had lined the bottom of my ice chest with a couple of slabs of dry ice. On top of that was two big tin pans of mexican rice. I also had a couple of gallon water jugs (my coworkers love Bryan water) sitting loosely next to the pans. I sinched the lid down very tight to prevent any temperature gain on the way to Austin. I was headed out of town on Texas Avenue next to campus when I had to slam on the breaks because someone cut me off (can you believe it, in this town?!). Well that apparently caused one of the water jugs to tip over and leak all over the bottom. Before I could tell what had transpired I heard a loud BOOM! Spanish rice exploded from out of the back of my truck spanning a three car area around my vehicle. My grandmother was pissed because it hurts her to stand on her feet to make the rice but I had promised to bring two pans so I had to make her redo the rice again that morning. Sometimes she could be so selfish (RIP Meemoo). I guess what I'm trying to say is be careful with dry ice around spanish rice if driving through College Station.
BCStalk
Prexair
fcag
AG
Good point AggiePirate... I forgot to mention that I always pull the drain plug to give the CO2 a way to vent.
oklaunion
HEB no longer carries dry ice in CS.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
HEB no longer carries dry ice in CS.
Dead to me, joining Briarcrest Walmart.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.