Quality Restaurant

2,779 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by FlyRod
don61
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for a quality restaurant. Preferably steak, not a chain restaurant.
Quiet atmosphere.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
The Republic
SARATOGA
and this thread is over.
AggieWife2008
S
I respectfully disagree. I 100% believe that La Riviera (SUPER quiet) has THE best steak in town even compared to the Republic. Great atmosphere and their desserts are amazing!
FlyRod
Madden's is quiet, and their steaks are very nice.

I love The Republic, but it can actually be quite raucous and noisy, esp. when they have live music.
C XX I
Depends on the night of the week.

Your best options are The Republic and Maddens.
don61
Thanks everyone.
Yuccadoo
Wagyu at Veritas is top notch. They also have a nice steak carpaccio if you are in to that.
ontheedge
quote:
and this thread is over.
I had to laugh because I know you didn't forget where you are. Six pages at least.
PS3D
I could probably cook a better steak than Republic.

Ok, probably an exaggeration, but it's not that good for the price.
FlyRod
I've had perfectly fine steaks at Madden's, Veritas, Republic, and Napa Flats. Haven't seen the need to bother with anyone else. Special mention to that rib eye at Paulo's which is very good too.

I do think Republic's non-steak dishes are actually better than their steaks, but steak is what pays the bills there.
veritas47
Sodolak's Original Country Inn outside town in Snook
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
La Riviera is possibly the most underrated restaurant in town.
rp71
I'll give a +1 to La Riviera. My wife and I went there some time back, thinking it was a little cafe with a few pastries. How wrong we were. We love that place. The crusted brie salad is ridiculously good. Now that I've read these posts, I'll have to try their steak when we go back. The best steak in town though is at my place.. and it's the least expensive one too
SW AG80
AG
Where is La Riviera?
don61
Thanks everyone. Some great idea's here.
MiMi
S
quote:
Where is La Riviera?
In the strip center at the corner of Texas Ave and North Ave in Bryan.
EliteElectric
quote:
La Riviera is possibly the most underrated restaurant in town.
Agreed.
gopitt
1. The Republic

Everybody Else.
AggieWife2008
S
YAY! More La Riviera lovers. My husband and I went there a couple of weeks ago for a date night. 365 deals for u was selling $49 vouchers which included 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts for $49! Can't beat that! It was a "special menu" for the voucher but it included steak as an option.
EliteElectric
The only bad thing about LR is that it is a little invisible, we always forget about it in that location. We don't frequent it near enough, wife and I do lunch there occasionally.
biobioprof
quote:
I could probably cook a better steak than Republic.

Ok, probably an exaggeration, but it's not that good for the price.
So... it is probably an exaggeration to say you probably could cook a better steak? Don't overcommit there, PS3D!!

I am happy to dine at any of the places mentioned on the thread, but I think of the Republic as being more of a steak house than the others, even though they all have steak on the menu.

For example, looking at the menus, La Riviera has a 10 oz ribeye and tenderloin medallions, plus lamb and pork chops. Republic has 7 different steak options, plus the special that they've had every time I've been there, and that's not counting the chicken fried filet. In price, comparing ribeyes, the Republic's is $44 bone-in and $38 bone off vs $19 at La Riviera, which seems like an outrageous difference... but the one at the Republic is 24 oz or 18 oz vs 10 oz at La Riv. So it's $1.8/oz or $2.1/oz vs $1.9/oz. The Republic is still more expensive because the sides are ala carte, and a 18-24 oz steak is way too much meat for me (I've had them split that for two people, though).

Then there's the selection of whiskeys...
ksp
Cowboy cut bone in ribeye!
AgySkeet06
AG
The last 2 steaks i've had at Republic were very dissappointing. I will take a Christophers Filet any day
australopithecus robustus
Unless a restaurant in town is using an infrared broiler, it's not serving the best in steaks. So far, no restaurant listed does, that I know of. If they're not using the infrared broiler, they're basically using cooking methods the same way you could at home. Not much special about that. The best steakhouses use that method, period.
FlyRod
Republic uses sous vide on their steaks, which while possible at home, I a technique I seriously doubt most people are actually trying at home.

Infrared broilers are nice, but other things matter as well for a nice steak...

For my part, a porterhouse done in a cast iron skillet the French way, with about 3 sticks of butter, is pretty hard to beat,
Tradishun
quote:
For my part, a porterhouse done in a cast iron skillet the French way, with about 3 sticks of butter, is pretty hard to beat,

Let me guess: You've been putting on a few pounds lately, haven't you, Fly? C'mon, you can admit it. You just like to live a little.
FlyRod
I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/saturated-fats-wont-raise-heart-disease-risk-omega-3s-wont-reduce-it-study/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.