Partial Solar Eclipse tomorrow, Oct. 23

2,760 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by blondlogic
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a heads up that there will be a partial solar eclipse for us tomorrow. The Sun will be obstructed by the Moon by approximately a third of it's surface. You may not even really notice it if you weren't aware of it.

The eclipse starts right around 5:00PM for us, and will be continuing through sunset. There is a pretty cool animation of it and additional info here. Of course, if trying to observe it, use proper eye protection to avoid damage to your eyes. One suggestion is to use a #14 welder's glass for safe viewing. The giant sunspot currently on the Sun's surface should add some additional interest to this eclipse.
techno-ag
AG
Once upon a time I was I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart
There's nothing I can do
A partial eclipse of the sun

Once upon a time there was light in my life
But now there's only love in the dark
Nothing I can say
A partial eclipse of the sun
The Anchor
AG
Thanks for the heads up
labmansid
A few of the shots I got from yesterday.
I thought it was interesting that the giant sunspot looked like a bug with two antennae sticking out from the bottom.

ontheedge
Very nice Sid. What filter are you using on your lens if you don't mind me asking.
labmansid
quote:
Very nice Sid. What filter are you using on your lens if you don't mind me asking.
I don't mind at all. I use a special film, the Baader solar film.
It is specially designed for this use, and comes in two densities. One for general visual use, and one that lets in more light for photographic use. I use the photographic version, but it is not safe for extended viewing. I had to make my own holder to use it on my lens, as it comes in a roll of the thin film, but it wasn't hard to do. I think you could find some premade holders with it online.
cavu
AG
Nice photos!!
dubi
AG
What lens?

Beautiful pictures!
BlueMiles
AG
I always enjoy your photos. Thanks for posting. I had to work and was hoping someone would take some pics.
labmansid
Thanks for the comments. I was using a Canon 500mm lens, with teleconverters that made for a total focal length of 1400mm.
techno-ag
AG
Very nice.
blondlogic
Great stuff as always, Sid! I missed it, too. Many thanks for the documentation and the bonus observation info.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.