Sudden Link clear channels gone

5,422 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by momtaxi
HappyGilmo*my*god
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone having this issue? I have Sudden Link basic cable (fed through a coaxial cable) in the kids' bedrooms. We're not getting the clearer channels. For example when we watch ESPN we went to 27 and we pressed the channel up to go to 27-1 and it would be clearer. Now when I do that it goes to a random station like 75-23 which is not ESPN. Where's the clear ESPN?
momtaxi
And que the "We hate suddenlink" clan
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
And que the "We hate suddenlink" clan
I hate Suddenlink...

There, I will start it :P
Aggie
AG
Same problem here

We have that in the bedrooms/ usually get like a digital and analog.
No longer get the digital? / the better picture.
No idea why
bcstx06
Yes same problem the clearer channels moved to 75-??? This happened a few months back also and then it went back to normal after about a month....or 2.
BrazosWifi
Arrrrrrr... The new forum design ate my post. I'll try to get it all in there.

This is merely my educated guess:

Suddenlink is planning on offering 500Mbit DOCSIS cable internet using the same cables they offer TV and internet they use now. This is achieved by bonding many more channels together to have an aggregate bandwidth greater than 1Gbps back to the node [rant]the same node that is overloaded now [/rant].

I suspect they are "liberating" the clear channels to have more channels for internet.

My suggestion: give the local office a call and ask them where the channels went.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
biobioprof
What setup do you guys have?

ESPN HD has been on 751 at Suddenlink for a long time, and I don't remember ever seeing anything other than 27 for SD and 751 for HD for ESPN.
bcstx06
^ We are talking about Suddenlink cable without a box (just cable from the wall directly into the TV). And if you have a HDTV with Suddenlink cable anywhere in BCS, the clearer digital channels have been moved to 75-_?_whatever. Get it now?
iisanaggie
AG
Ours did that yesterday. I rescanned last night and they all came back. You might try that.
isitjustme
AG
I lost my digital channels as well over the weekend. When I rescanned, I ended up with 14 channels, all analog. I was hoping it would be fixed, but each rescan brings the same result. They're coming out of Friday to fix it.

Good thing I have other tv's so I can watch things like espn, the walking dead, a&e, and others if I want to.
biobioprof
quote:
^ We are talking about Suddenlink cable without a box (just cable from the wall directly into the TV). And if you have a HDTV with Suddenlink cable anywhere in BCS, the clearer digital channels have been moved to 75-_?_whatever. Get it now?
Ah. Is that where your TV has to have some special card? Didn't realize the channel lineup was different.
fcag
AG
I've had just the bare bone coax coming out of the wall with no box for about nine months and I've never seen a "clear" channel for ESPN (27). I can get the networks in HD, but have never been able to find an HD ESPN channel.
Aggie
AG
Did a rescan.. Digital channels showed up in the 70's. Like 72.31 and 73.47.
So yeah it's annoying as hell.

Stucco
There are three categories of channels for Suddenlink no-box. 1st is regular analog. 2nd is digital ("clear"). 3rd is HD.

On my TV, Analog and Digital seem to share a regular channel number, and I pick between them using the channel listing. HD channels are listed with a -1. The HD channels I get are the networks: 3-1, 23-1, 28-1, 40-1, and PBS is somewhere also. I didn't notice the digitals missing yet, but that would be a major downgrade if they took them away.
nwspmp
I would imagine that the digital channels will not be going away (even if they're moved to a different channel or subchannel) but I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the analog channels will.

Very few people left use the analog channels, as new TVs have had ATSC tuners for a while now and over cable the digital channels are simply better quality.

In addition to that, analog channels take up a TON of bandwidth over the wire, and that's what's needed to push the new promised channel-bonded DOCSIS speeds up.

A standard-def analog channel takes up about 6MHz of bandwidth. In that same 6MHz of bandwidth, the typical compression for a standard-def digital scheme could push 6 different channels.
Rapier108
I've had about a dozen channels disappear since last night. The digital channel says it is encrypted. If I switch to the analog, it simply isn't there. This includes CNN, TNT, AMC, CNBC, etc.
MiMi
S
quote:
I've had about a dozen channels disappear since last night. The digital channel says it is encrypted. If I switch to the analog, it simply isn't there. This includes CNN, TNT, AMC, CNBC, etc.
I was watching MSNBC this morning. At 5am, it disappeared, along with a lot of other channels. This is my TV hooked directly to cable AND my living room TV that has a DVR/cable box.
nwspmp
Hooked directly to the cable, that kind of makes sense. If they're repositioning the channels, then the channel numbers are very likely to change.

Hooked into a cable box; now that's odd. Which cable box? When last I had cable TV, I had a Motorola box which would require a reboot when they changed the channel assignments.

http://hometheaterreview.com/fcc-rules-to-make-it-harder-to-get-unencrypted-cable-channels-without-a-cable-box/
MiMi
S
I'll be calling Suddenlink after work to see where the channels are now and what needs to be done to the cable box to have them restored. I didn't have time to deal with it this morning. I just wish they would have notified their customers of such a drastic change. There is no mention of this on their website or channel listings.
jagouar1
AG
quote:
I would imagine that the digital channels will not be going away (even if they're moved to a different channel or subchannel) but I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the analog channels will.

Very few people left use the analog channels, as new TVs have had ATSC tuners for a while now and over cable the digital channels are simply better quality.

In addition to that, analog channels take up a TON of bandwidth over the wire, and that's what's needed to push the new promised channel-bonded DOCSIS speeds up.

A standard-def analog channel takes up about 6MHz of bandwidth. In that same 6MHz of bandwidth, the typical compression for a standard-def digital scheme could push 6 different channels.

This is what most providers do in bigger cities and that line of thinking is likely coming here because as stated analog tv is a huge waste of bandwidth and has the worst quality.... They have to do it if they want to offer us the faster internet speeds.

Will also say many providers also encrypt all "digital" channels and require you to get a cheap converter box to watch them. Will be interesting to see if suddenlink goes that route here too.... have a feeling they will.
momtaxi
quote:
I lost my digital channels as well over the weekend. When I rescanned, I ended up with 14 channels, all analog. I was hoping it would be fixed, but each rescan brings the same result. They're coming out of Friday to fix it.

Good thing I have other tv's so I can watch things like espn, the walking dead, a&e, and others if I want to.
And what do you actually think they are going to be able to do? They are going to come to you house and do the EXACT same thing you have been doing with the same result.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.