More problems with Suddenlink

2,759 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by C XX I
C XX I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With 8 minutes left in the Colts vs Bengals game, our zoned CBS noon game, it switched to the Titans vs Redskins game. This is a giant NFL contract violation. I called and they said they'd work on it and try resolve it by the end of the day.

Combine this with very heavy traffic on my Internet node for the last month (to the point that Netflix won't work) and it's such a pleasant reminder of how horrible our local Internet provider is.
Prophet00
AG
My internet drops out very single night, between 9 and 10, and either takes 20 minutes to reset, or you can hard reset the router. Probably a problem with their switch, given the amount of new construction in the area. But, they won't upgrade it until the last minute, save money, yada yada yada. Here i am, stuck paying for a monthly service that is atrocious, and all they say is, sorry. I think they've come out three times and replaced the modem, with the same issue every time. I hate that we have no real choice, but it's been a monopoly in this town since TCA/Cox/et al.
91_Aggie
AG
Is that a sudden link issue? Or the local station that switched it? Seems weird to blame the company that just provides the feed from a local station. Local station would control what it is feeding to Suddenlink
KBTX 501
In fairness, this could very well have been on the KBTX side. 91 Aggie is right on his point - taking what we feed. Checking on this. GUESSING - but CBS could have switched to coverage of another game, wouldn't be the first time. More in a bit. -Mike Wright
EMY92
AG
Networks can and will switch the game provided to a region due to a blowout when the teams shown are from out of the region.

Today Fox switched to the St. Louis/Seattle game in the mid 3rd quarter after the Packers humiliated the Panthers.
KBTX 501
Just spoke with the operator on duty with KBTX - and the decision to switch was fully CBS. With a double-header today, likely the decision was some sort of an obligation to make sure all of the national game (late game) aired in its entirety. Agreed, its odd to leave a game with 8-minutes left. Will continue to check. Bottom line, it wasn't Suddenlink nor does it appear to have been in KBTX's hands - though if I find out it is, will certainly double-back on this. -Mike
redd38
AG
I noticed that SuddenLink showed a rerun of Seinfeld this week instead of the new episode. I think I'm going to cancel my service if they don't get that fixed.
saltydog13
AG
My cable has been doing a system reset our something of that nature quite a bit recently. it was fine the first 6 weeks and now it goes to blue screen and says system initializing, sometimes it takes a couple seconds and others a few minutes. Also, I called about the Viacom situation to see about a discount and the answer was no. When i told the rep that I could go to Directv for more channels and less monthly cost his reply was, "that's always an option since you aren't under contract with us here at suddenlink." Being that i'm in an apartment and having a dish requires a deposit, inspection by the apt, and $100k renters insurance, I'll just have to stick with SL until I move in 10 months
KBTX 501
Correction- today was NOT a double-header day, and indeed CBS extended coverage overall by switching to another game. Not KBTX, not Suddenlink. Just clearing all that up. -Mike
rsa
AG
quote:
CBS extended coverage overall by switching to another game. Not KBTX, not Suddenlink. Just clearing all that up. -Mike
Never let facts stand in the way of a good Suddenlink bashing!
The Anchor
AG
So a TV station changed what it was playing and you thought that was SL's fault? Not sure how that logic worked.
jks08
AG
Cincy-Indy was a blowout, why would you call about that? Thank you CBS for sparing us
mpezll
AG
Could it have been because the colts were up 24-0, and the other game was actually close?

Fox did the same thing today
mpezll
AG
Jks beat me to it, but yeah that's probably the reason.
C XX I
Sorry for the confusion -

There was no announcement that they would be switching games, at least that I noticed.

I called Suddenlink and ask what happened. They claimed 'faulty switches' and said it would be fixed within the hour. So either they had no idea, either, or were just giving me an excuse to get me off the phone.

I've seen games get switched towards the end of blowouts in order to expand coverage of closer games, but usually that switch was handled much differently.

The Internet still sucks, though
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.