Mall carnival

6,595 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by CSMC2014
waterchick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone seen the prices & hours for the carnival at the mall? How long will it be there?
HowdyAgs03
AG
I'm not sure about the hours or pricing but I hear this guy is the new main attraction.

Fonzie Scheme
AG
I find it odd that the carnival is here the same week as the fair.
Rooster14
I've always wondered, who is responsible for inspecting this type of operation? I'm not taking about the food part, but the actual safety of the rides.
EMY92
AG
quote:
I've always wondered, who is responsible for inspecting this type of operation? I'm not taking about the food part, but the actual safety of the rides.
Insurance companies inspect the rides, however, I believe that each ride is only required to be inspected once per year, not at each location. The inspection certificates are then sent to the Texas Department of Insurance.
SARATOGA
I hate the mall parking lot carnival.

No way I'm letting my child get on something that came out of a semi and was assembled overnight. Only to repeat the process the next week somewhere else.

Also heard from some of the off-duty cops that I think the city hires for security that it is extremely stressful work because every carnival worker and half of the patrons look shady/suspicious/creeper/pedi-van so they are watching everyone as a suspect.

CREEPER ALERT !

No idea why they continue to let that thing come here. ugh
techno-ag
AG
CDub06
AG
quote:
Also heard from some of the off-duty cops that I think the city hires for security that it is extremely stressful work because every carnival
worker and half of the patrons look shady/suspicious/creeper/pedi-van so
they are watching everyone as a suspect.

HYPERBOLE ALERT !
FlyRod
quote:
half of the patrons look shady/suspicious/creeper/pedi-van so they are watching everyone as a suspect.

CREEPER ALERT !

Was one of them about 7 feet tall, taking pics of as many people as he could, and wearing an "I FTR'd the mall carnival for Yelp!" t-shirt? Just curious...
Kate Beckett
AG
quote:
quote:
half of the patrons look shady/suspicious/creeper/pedi-van so they are watching everyone as a suspect.

CREEPER ALERT !

Was one of them about 7 feet tall, taking pics of as many people as he could, and wearing an "I FTR'd the mall carnival for Yelp!" t-shirt? Just curious...
AggieWife2008
S
I took my daughter to the carnival that was in the Bryan Target parking lot. Free admission and I think I got 24 tickets for about $20. I took her on the little rides and ferris wheel...I think we got on about 3 or 4 rides for that much money. Spent $10 on 1 game and she got a prize.
BlazeHarper
I have taken the kids before on a weeknight. I am not sure who is doing this one but the ones before have been Wrights Amusements out of Colorado. They had some nice rides and many of them looked new. They did like a wrist strap for $25 and the kids stayed late and got their fill.

Are they still at the mall this week ?
ksp
The state of Texas is one of most state who have no guidelines for safety and inspections of the rides.
originaltexan
No guidelines means that you can have fun.

If a bolt is sheared, it would be wild....

PARTY TIME
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
The same people whine, lament, and gnash their teeth about the carnival every year. If you don't like it, then don't go. I don't really like the nighttime crowds they have at those things so I typically take my kids and do the kiddie rides on an afternoon. They love it and have fun. Don't see anything wrong with it. You do typically get a much different type of crowd during the day than at night, I'll give you that. But if you're not out there going to the carnival I'm not sure how it affects you in any way.
Rexter
quote:
No way I'm letting my child get on something that came out of a semi and was assembled overnight. Only to repeat the process the next week somewhere else.

Better never go to anything other than six flags or jellystone.
gutmancometh
quote:
The same people whine, lament, and gnash their teeth about the carnival every year. If you don't like it, then don't go. I don't really like the nighttime crowds they have at those things so I typically take my kids and do the kiddie rides on an afternoon. They love it and have fun. Don't see anything wrong with it. You do typically get a much different type of crowd during the day than at night, I'll give you that. But if you're not out there going to the carnival I'm not sure how it affects you in any way.
I agree...have been taking my kids for years with zero incidents...unlike Six Flags...
FlyRod
I'd have no problem letting my kids ride poorly inspected and maintained rides operated by drunken/stoned ex cons. Live a little.
Zombie
When was the last time ANY of you heard about an accident on one of these carnival rides? In my 38 years of existence, I cannot remember a single time I have ever heard of one. But I can remember many stories of accidents and multi million dollar amusement parks
ksp
More likely to get an upset stomach from junk food as opposed to injured at any of these places.

There is one of these every at the HLSR too, all without incident.
fcag
AG
quote:
When was the last time ANY of you heard about an accident on one of these carnival rides? In my 38 years of existence, I cannot remember a single time I have ever heard of one. But I can remember many stories of accidents and multi million dollar amusement parks

Pretty comprehensive list here... http://www.rideaccidents.com/

fcag
AG
The carnival that was set up in the Bryan Target parking lot a few weeks ago was actually pretty nice for a traveling carnival. The ride selection seemed to be better than the usual Wright Amusements that sets up at the mall.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
The state of Texas is one of most state who have no guidelines for safety and inspections of the rides.

Do people just make up stuff to sound smart?

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/commercial/lcamuseinfo.html#Code
AggiePirate
AG
One time I went to the carnival when it was still in the Manor East Mall parking lot and I was waiting in line for the alien ship thing that spun around to make you experience g forces against your seat. I remember a couple of girls in front of me in line talking about riding on it and one saying ' dey trew up '. I then realized I could smell the puke from behind them. Upon entering the ride I could see a few seats with puke on them, not even being wiped down (needless to say I did not sit in one of those seats). Once the ride began I found that I could not move or lift my body forward from a laying down position and that was a lot of fun. I would ride again if they brought that one back.

ksp
quote:
quote:

Do people just make up stuff to sound smart?

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/commercial/lcamuseinfo.html#Code
LOL I will say it has been a about 20 years since I checked this rule, but was enacted in 1999. My apologies.

I had wondered this in college and it was V. unregulated back then.
Anonymous Source
S
I went with friends a couple of years ago and rode the Super Slide, where you go down the slide on burlap sacks. I didn't realize I'd be catapulting down the thing as fast as I would, and flew off the last hump and somersaulted into the line waiting to slide...taking out two kids...and into the parking lot.

Freaking death trap.

Just kidding...while it did happen, I thought it was hilarious and so did everyone in line.
justalocal
Aggiepirate...was that the Gravitron? That used to be a popular one when I grew up.

At the Brazoria County Fair, when people puked on the rides, the worker would just hose it off and then not let anyone sit in for the next ride to kind of let it dry off. I use to wonder if the pukey water splashed on people as the ride spun around. Blah...

I did see an accident as a child at that same fair back in the 90's. It was the swing ride (sit in a swing and it goes around in a circle) and one of the swings with someone in it catapulted off during the ride. I remember tons of people gathered and then all the medical people came...it is the only ride that I would never ever ride as a kid. Astroworld had one and a friend wanted to go on and I agreed thinking I would be okay and just about cried by time it was over.

Btw, $20 for 24 tickets is the same price as the Brazos County Fair.
BlazeHarper
Has anyone been out to the mall carnival ?
Wondering what the price of tickets are.
If they have the all you can ride wrist strap for $25 I might go
If not kids will just have settle for the excitement of the new on and off ramps on HWY 6.
CharlieBrown17
AG
In our world that is basically governed by the threat of a lawsuit you would think people would realize these rides have to be pretty safe. If they didn't keep rides in good repair there would be so many lawsuits theres no way it would be profitable.
O.G.

HowdyAgs03....Epic Post.
waterchick
Wow, I stirred up some strong opinions!

i finally saw the dates on the sign today: Oct. 12-26 so this is the last weekend.

We've gone to the Vietnam Veteran carnival that was at the Bryan Target earlier this month, and the carnival at the fair, so we'll probably go to this one as well. At both of those carnivals you could get an unlimited ride wristband for I think $20 or $25 so this one is probably the same.

As far as rickety rides, I limit the little egret to things like the Merry go round and spinning teacup type things. No super slides or swings for her - or me, for that matter.
waterchick
And re: HowdyAgs - DO.NOT.WANT. NOPE!
CSMC2014
The carnival at the mall has been just great, no problems. The Wright's Amusement Company are running it & do a very good job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.