New TAMU policy on auctions: how to not save $$

2,287 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by biobioprof
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
An email came to us last week
quote:
purchases made through an online or live auction is no longer allowed for reimbursement. The state sees it as if you paid the highest price for that item.

There are faculty here and elsewhere who have saved big bucks buying used equipment off auction sites. For example, a lot of high-end stuff becomes available when biotech companies go under and are liquidating their assets. People have gotten nearly new things for about 1% of the cost of the same thing when purchased new... and I'm talking about items that cost more than I get paid in a year (including benefits).

I also heard that our people have been using auction sites to get replacement parts for old equipment, which we have a lot of.

Brilliant.
momlaw
AG
Having trust in you Prof Biobio I emailed my state senator and representative asking them to look into this. Suggest others do the same.
OnlyForNow
AG
I'm surprised we every got away with it. (We did it while I was in grad school as well).

Since the state controls it, the budgets are always hamstrung.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Who did the email come from? I work on the financial side of the University, and have knowledge of the payables and reimbursement policies and procedures and there is almost always an exception when a cost savings can be demonstrated.
OnlyForNow
AG
Unless the HUB business quota hasn't been met.
BlueMiles
AG
Trust, folks--trust!
Post removed:
by user
biobioprof
quote:
Who did the email come from? I work on the financial side of the University, and have knowledge of the payables and reimbursement policies and procedures and there is almost always an exception when a cost savings can be demonstrated.
I got it from our accounting office who were passing the message on from above, but other departments have heard the same thing. If you can find out more on this, it would be appreciated. I hope I'm wrong.
OnlyForNow
AG
bio-bio, would it surprise you if this was the case? Honestly? Ever since Murano became president crap like this got worse and worse (it was already not on the right foot) and it doesn't seem like it's gotten better in the 4 years since I left.
biobioprof
quote:
bio-bio, would it surprise you if this was the case? Honestly? Ever since Murano became president crap like this got worse and worse (it was already not on the right foot) and it doesn't seem like it's gotten better in the 4 years since I left.
Don't think I said I was surprised in the OP, just annoyed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.